SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Sage Icon

MVP Extender Questions: Power and Volume

I was going to use a computer LCD monitor as the TV connected to the MVP (via S-Video), however, it does not have a remote.

2 questions.

1. Does the MVP actually turn off (like is there a power button on the MVP remote, that physically turns it off)? This will help, because if the MVP does not output a signal on the input, then the monitor will go into standby, turning off the backlight.

2. Is there a volume control on the MVP that controls the level being sent by the RCA cables? The monitor has speakers, but I would set them up at a certain volume, then I was hoping that the MVP controlled it's volume output to the TV. Do you know if this is correct, or does it expect the TV to control the volume?

After some research, it appears the MVP has it's own volume control, so, what about the first question?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Sage Expert

There is a power button; however, it should be noted that the power mode is more like a sleep mode. The unit doesn't physically power off unless you unplug it; however, for your purposes, the sleep mode should be enough.

Stu
Old 01-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99
There is a power button; however, it should be noted that the power mode is more like a sleep mode. The unit doesn't physically power off unless you unplug it; however, for your purposes, the sleep mode should be enough.

Stu
What does it do in this sleep mode though? Does it behave like the regular SageTV, and have the little icon going on the screen, or does it basically stop the signal going to the TV out connector?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
What does it do in this sleep mode though? Does it behave like the regular SageTV, and have the little icon going on the screen, or does it basically stop the signal going to the TV out connector?
There is no video output in sleep mode.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Sage Icon

Excellent, then I shouldn't have any problems, hopefully...
Old 01-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Sage Icon

Yep, got problems.

It appears that power saving mode is activated by Windows on computers, and monitors pay attention to a signal sent via a VGA or DVI cable, and go into standby mode.

When I turn off the MVP, I get a bright blue screen, and the monitor never goes into standby.

The volume thing is a non-issue, and works prefectly.

So, my options are to get one of those remote control things that you use to turn on and off Christmas tree lights (with the RF remote), and use that, or take it back, and get the 19" model that has a remote control...

Anyone know if they make those on/off controllers with IR instead of RF, in case I decide to replace the MVP remote?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Sage Expert

Sorry to hear it didn't work out as planned; I didn't realize that the MVP was trickling out enough signal to keep a monitor online.

As much as I hate to suggest these guys (remember those nasty pop-under ads?), you could probably find your solution at X10. All they do is smarthome stuff.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
Yep, got problems.

It appears that power saving mode is activated by Windows on computers, and monitors pay attention to a signal sent via a VGA or DVI cable, and go into standby mode.

When I turn off the MVP, I get a bright blue screen, and the monitor never goes into standby.

The volume thing is a non-issue, and works prefectly.

So, my options are to get one of those remote control things that you use to turn on and off Christmas tree lights (with the RF remote), and use that, or take it back, and get the 19" model that has a remote control...

Anyone know if they make those on/off controllers with IR instead of RF, in case I decide to replace the MVP remote?
Actually get the 22" LCD TV model and not the computer monitor. The MVP has an s-video out connection and doesn't transmit anything but a seperated video signal. I use the MVP with a 17" Sharp Aquous and a Harmony remote. And if anything happens with Sage like I need to upgrade it, it is also connected to the cable so somehow something is going to play on there. The Harmony allows just a one button push for oany of those options and to power it off and on.

32" Westinghouse LCD HD TV 1080i

This is less than $500

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 01-28-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Sage Icon

Wow, most of the ones I was looking at were around $600-700, but I guess they are the newer models, the w1 is an older model, but would have worked okay, I guess.

sainswor99, it's funny you mentioned X10, I just bought an Insteon starter kit, and an appliance module to use for the TV. I think at this point, I'm going to stick with the 22" screen. It works perfectly, minus the power issue. The speakers aren't all that loud (100% on the TV), but it works well enough for a bedroom. I guess if it was that bad, I could buy some computer speakers or something for it.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Sage Icon

Hmm...Anyone considering doing this, should check to make sure the monitor comes back on, when unplugged, with it on. I guess I got lucky in my case. Otherwise, I'd have to switch the appliance module on first, then go hit the power button on the monitor...