SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Sage User

Thumbs down SageTV Clock not in Sync with Real Time

My SageTV is 2 minutes behind real time. I.e., it's 10:00 real time, but Sage reads the time as 9:58. I don't want to add buffer's to everything.

I did see one post about this problem, where the did some sort of reset request to their server . . .I honestly do not understand this and not sure it is pertinent to me. I have a dedicated PC computer that I use for SageTV. I am using SageTV V5.0.1.89. Java Version 1.5.0_06.

Can someone advise, with detail (since I am not very computer competent), how to fix this problem.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

What is your setting in Detailed Setup -> General -> Sync System Clock with SageTV Server? That is supposed to update the PC clock to match the time on SageTV's EPG server once a day when the EPG is updated. (SageTV's EPG server uses an atomic clock utility to update its time, so it _should_ be correct.)

You might want to consider disabling that time sync and download an atomic clock utility that will update the PC clock more often.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Sage User

In Setup it was Enabled to Sync. I just now disabled it - thinking that might help. I'll see about downloading a clock. Is it necessary for that to somehow sync with Sage? As I said, my computer clock is correct - it's Sage that is off.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
What is your setting in Detailed Setup -> General -> Sync System Clock with SageTV Server? That is supposed to update the PC clock to match the time on SageTV's EPG server once a day when the EPG is updated. (SageTV's EPG server uses an atomic clock utility to update its time, so it _should_ be correct.)

You might want to consider disabling that time sync and download an atomic clock utility that will update the PC clock more often.

- Andy
So if I understand you correctly Andy, Sage is trying to set my system clock to match Sage? (for some reason, I read this menu item as the other way around - Sync's Sage w/my System clock).

Right now I'm running the Windows Time Sync service on my Win XP Pro box running the Sage Server.

So if I have this setting enabled, Sage likely sets my system once a day, and the Windows Service likely sets it once a day.

This could explain why some of my programs are a minute off.

The solution is to disable either one of these. But do you have an opinion on which one would be better to disable?

-Dan
Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccosco
In Setup it was Enabled to Sync. I just now disabled it - thinking that might help. I'll see about downloading a clock. Is it necessary for that to somehow sync with Sage? As I said, my computer clock is correct - it's Sage that is off.
I've heard of the time being hours off due to various issues, but I don't know what could cause SageTV to show its clock as 2 minutes off from what Windows shows... I thought SageTV got its time by querying the system.

If SageTV is really 2 minutes different from your system time, then ask support why that would happen, unless someone else around here knows why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker
So if I understand you correctly Andy, Sage is trying to set my system clock to match Sage? (for some reason, I read this menu item as the other way around - Sync's Sage w/my System clock).
As the on-screen hint text (at the bottom of the screen) says that it synchronizes your system time to the SageTV EPG server time. It does this when the EPG data is updated, once a day.

Quote:
Right now I'm running the Windows Time Sync service on my Win XP Pro box running the Sage Server.

So if I have this setting enabled, Sage likely sets my system once a day, and the Windows Service likely sets it once a day.

This could explain why some of my programs are a minute off.

The solution is to disable either one of these. But do you have an opinion on which one would be better to disable?
When enabled, Windows normally updates at a rate of something like once per week, though you can change that via the registry. SageTV checks once per day when the EPG is updated. I use a utility that checks something like once per hour... probably overkill. The SageTV EPG server uses an atomic time utility, but I just prefer running such a utility directly on my own system.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.