SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question Rebuild my HTPC or start fresh?

Hi all,

I'm moving my older SD setup to OTA HD. I'll be displaying on a 720p projector. I plan on storing recordings locally, possibly converting and archiving recordings on another computer on my GB ethernet network. Here's my current setup:
  • AMD Athlon XP 2000+
  • Asus A7N8X (nforce2 with on-board S/PDIF)
  • 1GB DDR memory
  • ATI Radeon 9000
  • VBox USB ATSC capture box
  • 150GB and 250GB drives
  • USB-UIRT
  • ATech Fabrication "heatsink" case

It's clear that I need to upgrade my video card, and possibly my CPU too. I'm worried about upgrading the video card to something like a GeForce 7300 GT that has 8x AGP when my motherboard only supports 4x. Will I have to upgrade my motherboard, then my memory?

At some point I have to wonder if I should ditch the old system and get a new one. What do you all think? I bought the VBox USB thinking I might get a Mac Mini and external hard drive when Apple upgrades the Minis to Core 2 Duo. I'd install Windows on it using Boot Camp and use my USB-UIRT until they add drivers for the on-board IR. Given reports on the forums that a Mini can handle HD, $700-$800 (depending on the Core 2 Duo) is pretty compelling.

I also was looking hard at a Shuttle x200. It uses the same onboard graphics as the Mini, so should be able to handle HD as well. The x200 can be had now for around $1200, although I'm not sure what you get over a Mini besides a card reader.

Of course, I could also start all over, keeping my case and gutting it.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm in a similar situation. I'm using a XP-2400M on an Nforce2 board with a Nvidia 6200. CPU usage with HD content is only 24-60% depending on the type of content so your cpu would probably be ok with a good graphics card.

Are you certain your board isn't capable of 8x? I thought it was. Either way it shouldn't matter.

Instead of upgrading I'm waiting on the new HD extender. It's supposed to be released in Q2 and last I saw it was going to be around $180. If it were me and I could wait I'd turn the existing hardware into a dedicated server and pick up a HD extender when it's available.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

depends on what you want do with it- if you plan to hook up a couple of clients, placeshifter, MVPs etc- you should probably upgrade to a better processor....and the whole nine yards....

If you only want to have a small server with a client, you should be fine as long as you get some kind of SATA HDs for I/O speeds. HD on IDE will not be troublefree in my experience-

I run a XP2100+ with 512 MB 266MHz Ram, PCI SATA Raid, PVR 250, PVR150, Aver Media M180 OTA HD without too many problems (1 client only- no MVPs or place shifter). HD watching on the client system is decent- dont have a good enough graphics card on the main server due to power supply issues....but something like a 6600 Gt should do fine.

Another possible route is using SigmaDesigns Xcard- not sure of the resolution outputs supported- but you should check that up....but given the compatibility issues I have had to face with Xcard and mobo/PCI-IRQ config and conflicts- I would recommend the graphics card route.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by naln
If you only want to have a small server with a client, you should be fine as long as you get some kind of SATA HDs for I/O speeds. HD on IDE will not be troublefree in my experience
My experience has been much different. I have two ata 100 drives that I use for recording directories and have no problems capturing 2 HD shows, 2 SD shows, streaming to 2 clients, and processing all 4 shows as they record. I do that several times a week without a hitch.

A 15Mbps HD stream is only around 1.875MB/sec. I don't see how throughput should be an issue.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

I tried the HD on the setup I described earlier- minus the SATA...had stuttering and A/V problems- specially with multiple recordings at the same time.
Moved to a SATA- raid setup and things were normal....but I guess its best to make the move only when required.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just tried putting in a SATA drive and my GeForce 6800GT from my gaming rig and still had problems. I guess my issue must lie elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Switched it to a client.

I found a pretty decent solution... I set my machine to overlay, and now just use it as a client. I use my big gaming rig (named "Juggernaut" ) as a SageTV server. My old SD SageTV Server makes a pretty good HD SageTV client, provided I use overlay instead of VMR9.

Before I was worried about spreading out my system and the instability that might cause, but things seem to be working pretty well.