SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Service hangs at startup

After having some miscellaneous issues I decided that it wouldn't be a bad idea to re-format my Windows partition and do a clean install of everything. I like to do this every so often just to have a fresh start. This time SageTV is giving me serious problems though.

I installed Windows (SP2), my nForce drivers, USB-UIRT driver, Hauppauge, driver, HDHomerun, ATI display driver, .NET and Sage 6.0.19 (which installed Java runtime 1.4.2, I have also tried with the latest JRE but that made no difference) and nothing else.

The Sage installation went well for the most part (I had issues setting up my USB-UIRT, but I had my old .ir file so no big deal). I re-added all of my favorites and went to work. When I came home, my display (Optoma HD70) was showing "No Signal" so I did a hard reboot. When my system came back up Sage would not load, the service was hanging and I wasn't able to manually stop it from "Starting."

I had to reboot into safe mode, turn the service off and restart. When I tried to open Sage it hung on "Loading Object Database." So it seems I'm screwed in either service or regular mode.

The only way that I can fix this is by deleting my Wiz.bin. I can't tell you what a drag this is. I've been using Sage for a few years and have had good luck for the most part, until now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best,
Chris
Old 01-26-2007, 12:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Were you running SageTV V6 before reformatting? Or are you just now upgrading from V5? There's a lengthy database conversion that happens the first time you run V6, so it might look like the service is hung when it's not. How long did you wait before concluding it was hung?

Presumably you have a backup of wiz.bin from before the reformat. Have you tried restoring that to see if the problem is repeatable?

Did you have any third-party plugins or custom STVs installed before that you maybe forgot to reinstall all the prerequisites for?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Greg,
I was indeed running Sage v6 before I wiped my drive.

I wanted to begin totally fresh and didn't have any recordings that I wanted to keep so I started with a fresh wiz.bin, sage.properties and sageclient.properties.

After setup, I did install and load the most recent SageMC full installation.

That's about it.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Try turning on debug logging (debug_logging=TRUE in your sage.properties) to see if any useful clues show up in the log.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

The log file reported errors while trying to parse a folder full of AVI files in my imported video directory. I moved the folder and. . . Problem solved!

Thanks Greg.