SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Why must it be like this....

Digital OTA scan yields PBS station in my area.

Channel 58 & all it's digital subs.
'UNC-TV'
UNC-HD' etc...

Zap2It (OTA) has 58 listed as an analog station.
WUNG

Zap2IT also has digital stations listed, which I believe are the one being scanned @ 58 & the sub channels. However, Zap2IT says Digital WUNG is at channel 44 & subs.

To make matters worse I've manually Added a channel @ 58.1 'WNGDT' (typed call sign in wrong mind you & gave it the Zap2It ID like I thought I was supposed to, and I CANNOT GET RID OF IT) I even changed the line up for the tuner card to Analog cable & rebooted. It's still there after setting thing right.

How do I reconcile what the scan says vs what Zap@It Says???

EDIT: Another Set of Digital stations in my line-up is WUNE - The line up matches WUNG. Should I 'remap' the WUNE channels (currently 54 & subs) to the 58 & subs. Then just use their guide data?

EDIT EDIT: Seems 'remap' of WUNE did the trick.

Last edited by Slack; 01-27-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack

'UNC-TV'
UNC-HD' etc...

WUNG

Zap2IT also has digital stations listed, which I believe are the one being scanned @ 58 & the sub channels. However, Zap2IT says Digital WUNG is at channel 44 & subs.

To make matters worse I've manually Added a channel @ 58.1 'WNGDT' (typed call sign in wrong mind you & gave it the Zap2It ID like I thought I was supposed to, and I CANNOT GET RID OF IT) I even changed the line up for the tuner card to Analog cable & rebooted. It's still there after setting thing right.

EDIT: Another Set of Digital stations in my line-up is WUNE - The line up matches WUNG. Should I 'remap' the WUNE channels (currently 54 & subs) to the 58 & subs. Then just use their guide data?

EDIT EDIT: Seems 'remap' of WUNE did the trick.
Give up on Sage's internal guide, get XMLTV, throw Stephane a few bucks for his excellent importer, get total control over your listings, and say goodbye to adding and deleting channels, waiting days for tech support, etc.

I did it, because Sage support, sorry, leaves a "universe" to be desired. I'm 100% XMLTV now and glad I did it. Sure, I don't like the idea of the internal not working, but apparently it's not Sage's top priority.

Anyway, XMLTV gives me better control over all and just as much if not more program information.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack

'UNC-TV'
UNC-HD' etc...
First things first. Is there a problem with the data? Is it listing the wrong shows, wrong times, etc?

Quote:
WUNG

You must understand that digitals are not broadcast on the same frequency (channel) as analogs, it appears that the digital equivalent of 58 is broadcast on RF channel 44:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WUNG

Now, digital channels have the ability to have "virtual" channels, sucht that even though the RF frequency is 44, since it's a simulcast of 58, the ATSC reciever will display it as 58.1, 58.2, etc. Further digital stations have the ability to identify themselves by name, and it sounds like WUNG's digital broadcast is identifying itself as UNC-*.

This is the way it's supposed to work.

So far, sounds to me like Sage is working exactly as it should.

Quote:
Why do you care?

Quote:
They should be the same. In fact, it sounds like you're getting two affiliates. I know all our public television stations run the same thing. Further, Sage pullse the EPG data directly out of the ATSC PSIP stream, ie it pulls exactly what the station is broadcasting.