SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Arrow Utility: SageTray - SageTV tray application

Hi all - just added a new application to the downloads area:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=168

SageTray is a Windows .NET 2.0 tray application for SageTV that provides recording and scheduling information for SageTV. Colored icons indicate state (idle, recordings pending, recording, playing), while tooltip text provides status relevant to the current state of the system. (Ie: when the system is idle, it identifies the number of recordings scheduled.). A flashing "!" overlay on the icon indicates that schedule conflicts exist.

A popup provides more detailed information and displays the current recording schedule for easy reference. (Left clicking the icon causes an instant refresh).

A context menu provides options to customize the application and also provides convenient launching points for nielm's excellent web interface, SageTV itself, as well as the Sage Service Control panel.

This application depends on the WebServer plugin as well as Windows .NET 2.0.

Get the WebServer plugin here:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=8426

Revision History
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.4.2.0 [09/12/2010]
- Fixed compatibility issue for older (ie: Windows 2000) installations of .NET
- Improved responsiveness in some areas
Version 1.4.1.0 [08/14/2010]
- Added option to check for updates on startup
- Cleaned up a couple of mouse click/double click issues
- Added timeout indication to tooltip error message
- Changed web server timeout units from milliseconds to seconds
- Changed default web server timeout from 2 seconds to 15 seconds
Version 1.4.0.0 [08/05/2010]
- Added Power Options tab for configuring preferences for shutdown and sleep modes
- Added preference setting for double-click action (launch config panel or SageTV)
- Added preference setting for popup font size
- Resolved an issue where the app became unresponsive when it was unable to communicate with the web server
- Added a timeout preference for web server communication
- The app now automatically opens to the Plugin Setup tab the first time it starts up (if no configuration has been previously saved)
- Moved the location of the About tab
- Added balloon popup that indicates when an error occurred
Version 1.3.3 [08/02/2009]
- Fixed registry path for Windows 7 (x64).
Version 1.3.2 [10/07/2008]
- Fixed bug in schedule conflicts email notification.
- Added schedule conflict details to email notification.
Version 1.3.1 [09/09/2008]
- Added work-around for error state caused by a null "Sage Recordings" feed. The null feed (pretty uncommon) only occurs when the manual recording status of a recording is removed and then the webserver is restarted.
Version 1.3.0 [05/04/2008]
- Added option to display recently recorded shows. (Disabled by default).
Version 1.2.12 [04/16/2008]
- Added option to send email notifications 1) when there is a system error and 2) when there are schedule conflicts
Version 1.2.11 [12/22/2007]
- Fixed minor bug where SageTray would sometimes steal focus
Version 1.2.10 [11/30/2007]
Row content changes:
- Instead of picking basic or extended reporting style, user may now individually select optional content.
- Added option to include channel number in row content.
- Default behavior is to include all optional content (end time, channel number, episode)
Apply changes:
- Renamed "Save" button to "Apply" in configuration form
- Removed save confirmation box when "Apply" is clicked
- Popup is refreshed immediately to reflect changes when "Apply" is clicked
Version 1.2.9 [11/18/2007]
- Renamed "Reset" button to "Reset All", since it resets data for all configuration tabs.
- Added "Reset Tab" to reset data only for the currently active configuration tab
- Added verification prompts for configuration resets
- Fixed problem where sageTray configuration form could fail to close after being switched to via Alt-Tab
- Improved memory management
Version 1.2.8 [10/26/2007]
- Changed title of timed recordings to match webserver and sage tv names ("Timed Record" instead of "Manual Recording")
- Fixed bug where duplicate rows were being displayed in the popup for shows with multiple airings
- Changed status for currently watching video from "VideoTitle-VideoTitle" to "Video-VideoTitle"
- Implemented workaround for connection error reported while SageTv is playing a DVD
- Added "Check for Update" option to context menu
- When the number of rows displayed is limited and there are multiple pages of rows to display, changed the popup behavior so that the popup doesn't keep resizing between successive pages. (Keeps a uniform popup size which isn't quite as distracting)
- Modified to not check status while a fullscreen app is running
- Modified to not check status while context menu is active
- Updated XML parsing to be fully compliant with webserver DTD (Fixes some parsing errors reported by users)
Version 1.2.7 [10/18/2007]
- Fixed bug where manual timed recordings were not being displayed.
Version 1.2.6 [10/17/2007]
- Added ability to page through all schedule rows (when the number of rows displayed is limited): click "..." at bottom right corner of popup
- Added help text for Preferences - Reporting Style
- Improved memory management
- Improved exception handling to provide more informative error descriptions
- Changed playing status for music to show "Artist-SongTitle" instead of "Album-SongTitle"
- Changed the default value for web-link auto-login to false, since it is not compatible with current versions of IE. (Users are recommended to change this to true for Firefox.)
- Fixed exception generated ocassionally when selecting show details [?]
- Fixed popup bug when switching between basic and extended reporting styles
Version 1.2.4 [10/07/2007]
- Added links to program details on popup (click [?]).
- Added icon preference setting for selecting icon displayed when both recording and playing.
- Added preference for selecting how links are displayed when opened (new IE window or default browser).
- Fixed playing status bug for multiple clients.
- Fixed problem displaying multiple airings listed under the same EPG ID.
- Changed popup behavior to update immediately with changes detected while the popup is still displayed.
Version 1.2.0 [9/23/2007]
- Removed dependency on the GetStatus plugin, which simplifies the setup requirements for SageTray.
- Added support for reporting playing status of MVP clients.
- Added enable/disable control of auto-login for Sage Web links. Some users reported problems launching the links when using IE7. Disabling the auto-login allows the links to work.
Version 1.1.21 [9/8/2007]
- Double-clicking the schedule popup now opens the webserver's recording-schedule page.
Version 1.1.19 [9/7/2007]
- Fixed an annoying bug that caused SageTray to steal focus when the popup was displayed.
Version 1.1.18 [6/17/2007]
- Bypassed DTD checking. Some users reported that this operation was blocked by their firewalls and therefore resulted in an empty schedule listing.
Version 1.1.17 [6/2/2007]
- Added SSL support for the webserver plugin.
Version 1.1.16 [4/28/2007]
- Fixed a double-click bug.
Version 1.1.15 [4/20/2007]
- Added Unicode support for the schedule popup.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you all enjoy it,
k10ck3r

Last edited by k10ck3r; 09-12-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Updated for version 1.4.2.0
Old 02-21-2007, 03:53 AM
Sage Icon

Direct Link to SageTray Download
Link to .Net 2.0 Framework

Cool addition to SageTV.

I assume this works with SageTV Client also? And can the menu be modified to add more functions?

I'll post a screen shot when I get it installed.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Sage User

Can't install

I installed the GetStatus and Webserver plugins according to the directions. I modified my Sage.properties file to have the line:

load_at_startup_runnable_classes=net.sf.sageplugins.getstatus.GetStatus;net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.StartServer

But when I restart my Sage service (I am running in service mode), my changes to Sage.properties get removed. All I have is:

load_at_startup_runnable_classes=

Can anyone explain why this is happening? I cannot run the webserver.

I don't think this has anything to do with SageTray, but I could appreciate some help getting the dependencies running.

I am using version 5.0.4 of Sage Server.

Last edited by paintedbird; 02-21-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Looks good. Thanks for the work in developing this!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Sage Icon

anytime before you edit the sage.properties file, you must quit SageTV or stop the service first.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Sage Icon

Will this work on any computer that has network connectivity to the Sage machine? I'd like to run this on a different computer, than my Sage server, or my Sage client. As my server is headless, and the client is connected to my projector.

Currently I use the webserver to get this info, but a task tray would be great.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

This looks like a handy addition to the suite of tools. Thanks for the effort to develop it. Should it work with a webserver that is set up with SSL encryption or, if not, are there plans to add this capability?

Lynn
Old 02-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
anytime before you edit the sage.properties file, you must quit SageTV or stop the service first.
Thanks mayamaniac. The web server works now.

I can start SageTray, but I just get a gray background on the icon. The mouseover event says "Connection to server failed". The GetStatus plugin IP is 127.0.0.1 and its port is 20000, and the webserver is on port 8080. I have verified these are the settings in my Sage.properties file as well as in the SageTray setup dialog. Any ideas?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
Will this work on any computer that has network connectivity to the Sage machine? I'd like to run this on a different computer, than my Sage server, or my Sage client. As my server is headless, and the client is connected to my projector.

Currently I use the webserver to get this info, but a task tray would be great.
From the install directions of the GetStatus plugin: "NOTE: The bind_addr IP is the IP address of the PC that is running the getstatus monitor, it can be set to 127.0.0.1 to allow connections from the local machine only, or to 0.0.0.0 to allow connections from any machine on the network."

It defaults to 127.0.0.1. I would try changing this property to 0.0.0.0, and then setting the SageTray IP to point to your Sage Server's IP.

That's just my best guess as I don't even have it working yet on my Sage Server machine.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedbird
From the install directions of the GetStatus plugin: "NOTE: The bind_addr IP is the IP address of the PC that is running the getstatus monitor, it can be set to 127.0.0.1 to allow connections from the local machine only, or to 0.0.0.0 to allow connections from any machine on the network."

It defaults to 127.0.0.1. I would try changing this property to 0.0.0.0, and then setting the SageTray IP to point to your Sage Server's IP.

That's just my best guess as I don't even have it working yet on my Sage Server machine.
Yes, this works fine. In fact, this is how my wife uses it. The only difference is that the launch option for SageTV gets disabled, since it won't find it on the local machine. Of course, the launch option for the Web interface is still good.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Thanks mayamaniac. The web server works now.

I can start SageTray, but I just get a gray background on the icon. The mouseover event says "Connection to server failed". The GetStatus plugin IP is 127.0.0.1 and its port is 20000, and the webserver is on port 8080. I have verified these are the settings in my Sage.properties file as well as in the SageTray setup dialog. Any ideas?
This indicates that SageTray cannot access the GetStatus plugin. I would check to make sure that the plugins are enabled in the correct properties file. Ie: If you are using the sage service, then the properties entries for GetStatus and the WebServer should be made to the Sage.Properties file. If you are not using the service, then the entries should be made to the SageClient.Properties file.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellweber
This looks like a handy addition to the suite of tools. Thanks for the effort to develop it. Should it work with a webserver that is set up with SSL encryption or, if not, are there plans to add this capability?

Lynn
That's a good idea. I had not planned on this and I will have to do some research to see how this would work.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I tried this, but when I try to run SageTray it dies and I get the messege to send an error report to Microsoft. I even re-installed net2.0 to no affect.

I can get SageMon to connect to the server so I figure that if I could get SageTray actually run it would work.

Ideas?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I tried this, but when I try to run SageTray it dies and I get the messege to send an error report to Microsoft. I even re-installed net2.0 to no affect.

I can get SageMon to connect to the server so I figure that if I could get SageTray actually run it would work.

Ideas?
Do you have both GetStatus and WebServer installed? I may not trap the error correctly if WebServer is missing. I will double check it.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Added Screenshots

FYI, I just added a few screenshots to the download area.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by k10ck3r
Do you have both GetStatus and WebServer installed? I may not trap the error correctly if WebServer is missing. I will double check it.
Yes both WebServer and GetStatus work.

thanks,
Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yes both WebServer and GetStatus work.

thanks,
I have another idea. How do you have your web server set up? I disabled the login requirement on mine. Maybe the web server is not allowing SageTray to get the schedule information due to a login requirement and then it is crashing on a null string. I will try this out with mine and see if it has issues.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, there is definitely a problem if the web server has a user/password requirement. I don't get an application crash, but it never connects (and hence the icon stays grey). I will have to update the application to allow name/password entry in the plugin configuration tab. For the time being though, you can make this change to the realms.properties file for the webserver, to remove the login requirement:

# top level userassword
SageTV Web Interface=/sage,:

On my machine, it is located here: D:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\webserver
Old 02-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

I disabled my SSL and am seeing this as well. I think you are correct in suspecting the login as that is still being requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k10ck3r
I have another idea. How do you have your web server set up? I disabled the login requirement on mine. Maybe the web server is not allowing SageTray to get the schedule information due to a login requirement and then it is crashing on a null string. I will try this out with mine and see if it has issues.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

1.0.1 update posted

The 1.0.1 update adds the ability to specify a user name and password for the web server plugin. This should help with the connectivity problems some people have reported. See if this also helps the crash problem seen by some of you. If not, I'll dig into it some more tomorrow.