SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

New MVP Owner (w/ client license) frequent "crashes" ?

Ok just bought my MVP off newegg and bought client license.

Plugged everything in turned it on, it instally saw my sagetv server, i hit ok for prefered server, it installed the client (or whatever the hell it does) rebooted and poof theres the sage menu !

Everything was good .. but it "locks" up all the time and after about 30 seconds of lockup "reboots" itself back to the menu ? This wired not wireless .. my sage server is a core2duo with 4 gigs of ram plenty of horsepower

What am i missing ? Is there a firmware update or something i need for the MVP ?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Sage Icon

What's your Sage version and what are you trying to play?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

There is no firmware update for the mvp. I would check your java version and make sure you're using version 6.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok this is still a major problem for me. I do have java 6 .. its a Vista 32bit machine running the server is that an issue ? I've tried both SageTV 6 and 6.1.4 (beta) and have the same problem. Its a wired mvp and its very very nice rapid responce etc. Watching livetv doesnt crash .. but it crashes if i'm scrolling the guide or watching streamed mpeg2 dvds (non css)

Any ideas ?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok i take that back it just crashed watching live tv too

let met define "crash" the mvp does not "reboot" just the sage application restarts and takes me back to the main menu. any ideas ?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Sage Fanatic

I think I've read of there being some difficulty getting the MVP's to work well with Vista. As I recall, it seems to have been related to the firewall/enabling of the correct ports, etc.

Do you have anyway to try it using XP as the server? I use XP Pro currently and it has always been rock stable for me.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 03-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sadly i'm a cutting edge guy .. all 4 of my machines are Vista already both desktops and both laptops ..

The firewall is completely turned off (i use a hardware firewall to protection from the internet). No antivirus installed .. none of the usual culprits ..
Old 03-17-2007, 01:29 PM
SageTVaholic

have you disabled Vista's new network enhancer? Also, given that it is Vista, you may want to fire off an email to support. I am not sure how many folks are actually running it here.

B
Old 03-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

I came across this thread while searching for something else :

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23213

I am not sure if you are refering to tcp scaling, if so, it looks like what may be the problem for the OP.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelofDeth View Post
I came across this thread while searching for something else :

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23213

I am not sure if you are refering to tcp scaling, if so, it looks like what may be the problem for the OP.
Thanks, that's what I was talking about.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

I tried disabling this .. problem still exists .. i PM'd the author of the "fix" for help.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Short version for anyone that finds this thread in the future .. Vista and MVP's will not work reliably together. Despite any fixes the MVP will reboot occasionally , 6.1.4 beta still exhibits these problem seems Sage needs to do more Vista testing.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekl View Post
Sage needs to do more Vista testing.
For some reason, my gut blames Microsoft for this sort of thing

What is the benefit of running sage via vista? Not flaming just curious. I could see if there was some major performance boost, but a server that runs mainly sage would benefit from not having all the bloatware and huge system requirements of vista.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Perhaps because I do not devote an entire machine to sage ? My primary machine is a Core2Duo 4gig ram machine that i also use for gaming, which has no real affect on sage.

How is MS to blame ? They release the OS, it is the application makers job to test their products before ceritfying them Vista capable.

And btw for the record .. with the right system Vista is significantly faster then XP.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
They release the OS, it is the application makers job to test their products before ceritfying them Vista capable.
Of course, Sage is not yet supported on Vista. Check the System Requirements...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat View Post
For some reason, my gut blames Microsoft for this sort of thing

What is the benefit of running sage via vista? Not flaming just curious. I could see if there was some major performance boost, but a server that runs mainly sage would benefit from not having all the bloatware and huge system requirements of vista.
I don't agree with the "huge" requirements you say Vista has, but I agree that running Sage on a Vista machine is pointless at this time. Of coarse if its the only machine he has access to, and its his desktop, I can't really blame him.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Sage User

Identical Problem

Quote:
Ok just bought my MVP off newegg and bought client license.

Plugged everything in turned it on, it instally saw my sagetv server, i hit ok for prefered server, it installed the client (or whatever the hell it does) rebooted and poof theres the sage menu !

Everything was good .. but it "locks" up all the time and after about 30 seconds of lockup "reboots" itself back to the menu ? This wired not wireless .. my sage server is a core2duo with 4 gigs of ram plenty of horsepower

What am i missing ? Is there a firmware update or something i need for the MVP ?
I'm in the same boat and am using a Hauppauge PVR-150 with one MediaMVP on a server running with an AMD 5200 X2, 2gb of RAM, Nvidia 7900GS 256mb video, 74gb Western Digital Raptor and a 300gb Maxtor Sabre SATA drive.

I've had the same problem using all versions of SageTV 6 (now on 6.1.6) with Vista Ultimate. After 10-15 minutes, sometimes less, of viewing recorded shows, live tv, online videos (YouTube or Google Video), and or imported videos - SageTV on the media extender freezes and reboots to the main menu. This happens instantly if I try to fast foward or rewind during viewing.

All the things I've tried found throughout these forums include:

1. Updating to Java 6
2. Opening all the MVP ports on my router
3. ALL combinations of the recording and extender quality settings
4. Multiple mpg decoders, to include Nvidia PureVideo
5. Disabling the Windows Firewall
6. Disabling the SageTV service (running with only the SageTV app open on the server)
7. Updating ALL system drivers, even though SageTV works fine on the server
8. Disabling Flow control with my on-board Nforce Ethernet
9. No-customizations - ie. no Comskip, IMDB, malore menus, etc.
10. HDDs are formatted in 64kb blocks

So I'm probably forgetting things I've tried at this point and have tried many combinations of the above listed. With all this, you can see that I am diligent in trying to resolve this issue. The sporadic MediaMVP extender reboots make Sage unusable with Vista however. Although SageTV 6 works perfectly on the media extender when the server is running XP (I still have a dual OS boot option), I too am a cutting edge type and want to use Vista as my primary OS for a myriad of reasons that the average user is probably still oblivious to.

I just thought I'd let everyone know that SageTV 6 with the MediaMVP is not working correctly with Vista - at least with my hardware config.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray7 View Post
I too am a cutting edge type and want to use Vista as my primary OS for a myriad of reasons that the average user is probably still oblivious to.
Such as? I'm struggling to think of a single advantage for Vista over XP for a PVR...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
How is MS to blame ? They release the OS, it is the application makers job to test their products before ceritfying them Vista capable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Of course, Sage is not yet supported on Vista. Check the System Requirements...

It's the customer's job to RTFM.

What do you mean diesel fried my new Bendz? My old one used diesel just fine!

Just build a box from parts and put XP on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Such as? I'm struggling to think of a single advantage for Vista over XP for a PVR...
I would suggest you NOT hold your breath.

Vista is for general PC tasks only... It sucks at all individual functions when compared to an XP box configured to serve the purpose. This goes for gaming too! I'm not a gamer but the boatware you are running that has nothing to do with the task at hand is bad. On Vista it adds up quick too.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Collin,

Spoken like a true jump on the bandwagon without any evidence fanboy.

Vista is superior to XP in many, many ways. INCLUDING as a PVR. It uses prefetch techniques that properly utilize your ram instead of allowing it to sit idle.

Vista is faster as a gaming rig or as a PVR than XP with enough ram. If you are running 512-1024 you want to stay with XP, if you have 2048+ you want Vista, you WILL notice significant speed improvements in everything not to mention the hundreads of UI enhancements make day to day use so much better.

When XP came out they called IT bloatware to, said the same thing about 95, it happens with every new OS people love to hate the new things. Once they actually use it and see the vast improvements their tune quickly changes.