SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Sage Expert

3 features

that would make Sage perfect for me and in my mind much more flexible and future ready. I know you can hack your way to some or all of this now, but these seem like core features to me.

Let me choose to have a particular shows episodes stored in a sub folder and be able to archive that whole folder if/when I want to. Sage can create the same folder in each of your sage folders on each of your drives if you have to, but I'd prefer that a shows episodes stay in one folder in one sage folder on one drive and load balance by putting different programs folders in different sage folders. If you do have to do it the first way, make sure the archive whole folder process could be made to combine the folders from different places into one folder in the archive area.

Provide security/parental controls on shows and seems if you do number 1 then you can more easily create the security based on those folders.

Be able to show DVDs that have been ripped to an ISO not just vobs. So much easier to manage a folder with just a bunch of ISOs (and maybe some jpegs for displaying cover art) then folders within folders with vobs etc. Parental security again could be handled by folder, adult ISOs, teen ISOs kid ISOs. That way the wrong age person can't even get into a folder to see titles, which may be nearly as important as restricting their ability to play the item.

Love Sage and can't wait for my multiple HD extenders.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Crusher View Post
Let me choose to have a particular shows episodes stored in a sub folder and be able to archive that whole folder if/when I want to.
Why not just compress to mpeg4 (or keep in mpeg2) and put them in the Imported Videos then you may have all the subfolders you want.

Quote:
Provide security/parental controls on shows and seems if you do number 1 then you can more easily create the security based on those folders.
I'd like to see parental controls on imported videos. I've suggested this in the past.

Quote:
Be able to show DVDs that have been ripped to an ISO not just vobs.
I just convert all my dvd's to mpeg4 files and put them in sub-folders in the imported videos. I like Nero Recode AVC two pass encoding for that because I get around 250-300 mb hour with excellent quality.

Mike
Old 03-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Sage Expert

I want the folder stuff because it would make navigating the saved shows much easier when I'm not using Sage, which does happen. And I would rather not have to do any manipulation to have it happen as once I archive I lose some of sages ability to help me not end up with more saved shows then I need.

I want parental controls on recorded shows as well as imported videos as there are TV shows I don't want my little kids seeing.

Again, an ISO rip of a DVD takes 10 minutes and I'm done. Looks great and copies to a laptop or wherever and just plays. No lost audio or video quality or lost menu functionality and it's a single file. Anything else adds work that seems to me should be unnecessary.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
I'd like to see parental controls on imported videos. I've suggested this in the past.
You can do some parental control on specific Import Folders with SageMC. You can set up PIN access to specific folders.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=3454

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Sage Expert

yep, I've read about that and as I said (not being snide, just make a specific point) I believe you can accomplish much or all of what I want via various add-ons and tweaks, but I honestly believe these things should be basic functionality and if Sage is going to move into the mass market with their HD extender then this stuff should be there from the get go at that point.

Thanks