SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Sage User

Cool Recovering Default STV

First, apologies if I'm in the wrong forum. If one of you feels charitable enough to redirect me, please do.

After buying STV I blithely installed a customization to make it work with my ATI Remote, and that worked well! I won't go into the strange things my PC has been doing since embarking on making it into a PVR ... Now I want to burn DVD's, and decided to go for the gusto with the SageMC version. I can't find a precise definition of what turns STV into SageMC, but I'm assuming it's done by installing the Dynamic Customisable Main Menu. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, when I install that, Sage displays this message at startup:
<Failed to load SageMenuReader class>
<Fall back to standard Sage menus>

So I've tried to figure this out, and ended up reading the wiki http://www.sage-community.org/index....ModulesInstall , where I found this
Install:
"Installation instructions
<snip>
"There is no way of un-installing a module
"In most cases, there is no way of reliably upgrading a module
"Importing a module into an STV that already contains it can have odd effects (so don't do it)
"It is important to keep your original STV in it's default state to fall back to if there are any problems.
"In sageTV3 this is made easier -- when you import into Sage using the Detailed Setup->Advanced menus's Import SageTV Application Package (stvi) item, it will automatically create a new STV by appending a number. In this way, you always have the 'previous' STV to fall-back on.

So now I'd like to revert to STV pre-ATI-remote-installation, and see whether SageMC will install. I've searched around my STV folders, and find no new .stv files with numbers appended. I only find these in
C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\STVs\OriginalV2 :
OriginalV2.stv and OriginalV2Patch2_1_0.stv

I would be extremely grateful for advice.

Oh, and those strange things include:
* spontaneous creation of new browser windows (about 1/hr)
* sound comes on during recording mode
For reference, I'm on an Athlon processor, with an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP 512MB video card. I installed the Catalyst software that came with it before Sage, and it seemed buggy. Anybody else dealt with this?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Just to clear up some terminology, "STV" as used in these forums means a loadable skin or UI replacement. When we talk about SageTV the program, we generally say "SageTV" or just "Sage".

So what you're trying to do is to not to reload the default UI (an example of an STV), but to get your whole Sage installation back to its original state before you installed any customizations. Probably the surest way to do that is to back up your Program Files\SageTV folder, then nuke the folder and reinstall. Once you've done that, you can recover your recording database by restoring wiz.bin from the backup you made earlier. There's a FAQ entry about this; see the FAQs link in the nav bar at the top of the forum.

You also asked about what turns SageTV into SageMC. SageMC is an example of a replacement UI (or STV) that can be loaded into SageTV. I don't use it myself, but there should be detailed instructions for installing SageMC in the Downloads section of the forum.

Also note that any post you find that talks about .stv files is probably fairly old. Since V4, STV files (i.e. UI replacements) have been stored in XML format and have the .xml extension (but are still called STVs for historical reasons). You can safely delete any .stv files you find on your disk (but not .stvi files, which are another thing entirely).

I hope that clarifies things a bit.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
.... You can safely delete any .stv files you find on your disk (but not .stvi files, which are another thing entirely).

I hope that clarifies things a bit.
FWIW, there are a number of users who still use SageTV versions prior to 4 'cause they work just fine with old analog sets. People should NOT delete their .stv files if they haven't upgraded!