SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
And another product for the frontend competition

http://www20.tomshardware.com/consum...205/index.html
Old 12-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Dan & Jeff, is there potential that this product could support SageClient as well?
Old 12-07-2003, 05:40 AM

And only priced at $300Not bad at all.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Hardware Decoding

I'd just be happy it if we could get support for a hardware decoder so that the picture quality would be better.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 12-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

The Hauppauge MediaMVP, with a $99 retail price is going to be hard to beat, especially if and when a SageTV client becomes available for it and, from the sounds of it, one will be. (If anyone is looking for another beta tester, here I am.)

There is also some kind of communications problem that I have been experiencing that I've seen others writing about concerning losing connection with the server when using a wireless access port. (The adding of a switch between a Lynksys wireless-g game adaptor and the MVP does appear to help, I think. Instead of dropping the link reliably three minutes into a video, it now happens randomly at any point, or not at all.)

And, as others have written, it pushes far too much red.

And, there's no component output. Nor optical audio output.

So why is this the thing to watch? It's so close to being the box that actually works at an outstanding price. I'm hoping that it isn't a hopeless hardware problem. I don;t think soIt seems to be mostly problems with the client application and the communications firmware.

This is the 3rd kind of client box I've tried, and it is the closest to actually working.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

Just curious....do you run antivirus on the server? If so, is it Symantec? I had run into a problem which caused internittence with wireless after installing symantec on my machine(unfortunately, I do not recall what the exact error was, but it was with lanman and resetting to 0 back in the registry). If this is the case, give symantec's knowledgebase. It is well documented.

I.

Quote:
Originally posted by David Lawrance
The Hauppauge MediaMVP, with a $99 retail price is going to be hard to beat, especially if and when a SageTV client becomes available for it and, from the sounds of it, one will be. (If anyone is looking for another beta tester, here I am.)

There is also some kind of communications problem that I have been experiencing that I've seen others writing about concerning losing connection with the server when using a wireless access port. (The adding of a switch between a Lynksys wireless-g game adaptor and the MVP does appear to help, I think. Instead of dropping the link reliably three minutes into a video, it now happens randomly at any point, or not at all.)

And, as others have written, it pushes far too much red.

And, there's no component output. Nor optical audio output.

So why is this the thing to watch? It's so close to being the box that actually works at an outstanding price. I'm hoping that it isn't a hopeless hardware problem. I don;t think soIt seems to be mostly problems with the client application and the communications firmware.

This is the 3rd kind of client box I've tried, and it is the closest to actually working.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there any indication that this thing has/could have Java Virtual Machine support?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:56 AM
Sage User

I also think the MediaMVP is a great product at a great price. That Pinnacle system seems a bit expensive...what does it do that the MVP can't? Anyway, I think it will be a fantastic product when Sage 2.0 can be integrated.

On the downside, mine gets "confused" sometimes and wont respond to the remote. A reset button would've been nice. But on the plus side, the PQ was great right out of the box; with sage I have to do a lot of tweaking to get it just right. Also it is completly silent.