SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Sage Icon

Encoder_merit and proliferation of tuners

Guys, given the recent threads on where encoder_merit and EPG issues with different types of tuners, I am confused about the best way of setting up my server config, so I thought I would ask the group about the best way to use all the tuners are work around the issues Sage has with program guides and dealing with differing types of encoders.

Right now, I have a HDHomeRun, and it providers two tuners of primarily network programming, but also music and a few other misc. channels that Comcast in the Bay Area deigns to send in the clear. I also have an DCP501 with an R5000-HD that records the entire set of SD and HD channels that I can receive. Because of the issue with setting up channel guides and different tuners, I have the HDHomeRun's set to my primary Comcast guide, and the R5000-HD set for another market, so I can only enable the non-encrypted channels for that particular guide, and enable the R5000-HD to see all the channels (SD and HD), minus the ones I don't subscribe to, since Sage doesn't know abour programming packages etc..., and I don't want intelligent recording trying to record a program I am not authorized for.

Ok, I complained to comcast about some issues with encrypted programming, and now they are sending me 3 DCT700's for free for a year (and probably after that too). I plan to use one of them to add VOD capability in the master bedroom, and the other two as extra sage tuners. These boxes don't do HD of course, so adding them requires yet another choice of zipcode and alternate channel guide, since I can't use the one for the R5000-HD, because it can record HD whereas these can't.

So, the question is then how to set encoder_merit for these devices so I bias it that if the R5000-HD is available, to use it for all non-HdHomerun programming (the HDHomerun programming is all digital), and only use the DCT700's off theater 650 cards if the R5000-HD is busy (since they recieve digital programming but it's re-encoded via the MPEG-2 encoder in the 650's).

There doesn't seem to be a way of telling Sage that the R5000-HD and HDHomeRun's are native digital and prefer them to the Theater 650's which are re-encoding the digital signal via a local encoder. Or am I missing something?

Also, since the DCT700's don't even give you even S-video out, I was wondering if I should use one of the 650's on the raw analog channels without going through the STB for the analog channels. I suspect the DCT700's which produce video out from the digital version of the analog channels simulcast in my system would still be better than the native Theater 650's tuner, but I am wondering what people's experience is here. I am one drop from an optical node, so my analog is generally quite clean.

Comments?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Sage Icon

set the encdoer_merit for the HDHomerun tuners to something like 9, the R5000-HD lower, to something like 5, and set teh Theater650 to 0 or 1. The actual numbers aren't important, just the the HDHR is highest, R5000 is middle number, and 650 is lowest number.

That way it will use the HDHR first, then the R5000, then the 650 last in scheduling recordings and watching LiveTV.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Take a look at this post. This guy seems to know what he is talking about..

B

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...7&postcount=16
Old 04-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Take a look at this post. This guy seems to know what he is talking about..

B

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...7&postcount=16

I saw that post, and in fact triggered my question, but I didn't want to hijack his thread.

This seemed to be more focused on the HDhomerun cooperating with an analog tuner. I have an all cable setup, but I gather I could remap the channels in the multiple lineups so that Sage had different channel numbers for all digital feeds than feeds going through encoders, even if it was a digital station?

That is, if I had Foxnews in the R5000-HD, it would be digital, and the foxnews coming from the DCT700's connected to theater 650's would also be a digital feed. But the theater 650's are doing re-encoding, so I would prefer them to be secondary to the R5000-HD.

If the Foxnews in both cable lineups were the same, it would seem that encoder_merit should break the tie. But is it a problem if foxnews is from two different lineups? if so, do I have to play remapping games so that Sage considers them the same?

Remember I can't use the same line-up for both since The r5000-hd can record HD, and the DCT700's can't. So I have to remove the HD channels from the lineup the DCT700's are configured for, and that means I have to pick a different zip code, etc... Otherwise removing the HD channels from the DCT700 connected encoders removes them from the r5000-hd too. :-(

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-22-2007, 02:57 PM
SageTVaholic

When I read his post, I took it to mean that they had to have the same number?

B
Old 04-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
When I read his post, I took it to mean that they had to have the same number?

B
That's what confused me. The number had to carry across line-ups. Does this mean channel number, or physical mapping?

Thanks,
Mike