SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-25-2003, 11:43 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to Maladin
SageTV 2.0 dilemma

I am currently testing the trial versions of BTV and SageTV. My SageTV trial has expired and the BTV trial is drawing to a close. I need to make a purchase decision soon. Based on the current releases of both I am leaning toward BTV. However, the SageTV 2.0 snapshots looks pretty nice, probably addresses some of the issues I have with 1.4, and seems closer to supporting XCard OSD than BTV.

I would really like to see SageTV 2.0 before I buy one or the other, but I can't wait much longer. If anyone feels comfortable giving a timeframe for the 2.0 release, it will greatly help my purchase dilemma. If its days away I can wait; if its weeks away, I cannot.

(A welcome alternative would be access to the beta as a Trial user.)
Old 12-26-2003, 08:30 AM
Sage Expert

If it is any consolation, I too was in the same boat. I went for Sage due to the explicit Hauppauge support. I tested SS Beta as well... In addition, I am faithfully awaiting the (soon...?) MediaMPV client for Sage (come on guys... give us another hint/clue as to the timing... ).

I went with the 1.4 release based on the upgrade to 2.0 when it comes out.

If you have the 250 or the 350, then Sage is the way...

-Jason
Old 12-26-2003, 10:31 AM

I would not pick either product based on what they look like. Sage is geared more to the HTPC user due to its more advanced PVR feature set. If you don't need all the power, then something more scaled down like BTV may be the way to go. Plus if it is not on an HTPC then stability may bot be a major concern since it will be rebooted often.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:41 AM
Sage Icon

No one will be able to give you an updated time for v2.0. For whatever reason the developers are being very tight lipped about it.

I would consider the following though:

1. Never buy ANY product based on what it MAY or MAY NOT do in the 'next version'. If you 'need' those features, wait until that version comes out. It will save you a lot of time and aggravation in the long run.

2. Make your decision based on what you need NOW, but think of any possible future needs you may have. For instance, if you think you may want 'client' functionality then Sage is far ahead of BTV, but if you may want to transcode video from MPEG to WMV/ or divx then BTV is much better currently.

Just my $0.02. Even though I own both products, I use Sage TV because of the mutliple tuner support and a REAL client offering. I couldn't live without either of those items. Although not as 'pretty' Sage TV has been flawlessly stable. Been a pleasure to use (even if I don't like how it looks).

Jason
Old 12-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Buy SageTV... It may not have the pretiest interface (this will change though with 2.0)... It has the most 'meat' in terms of features. It is also much more stable than any of the other offerings.

Of course I can't say buy Sage because of what may be included in 2.0, but I feel more than comfortable recommending based on what it already has and the excellent customer support that accompanies it.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just hit the same point about 3 weeks ago - and opted to buy Sage.

For me, the UI in BTV (formerly Snapstream) was BEAUTIFUL, but the picture quality didn't come CLOSE to what I could get in Sage.. I also like the power & flexibility of Sage.

Sage 2 will have a nicer UI - no question, so I opted to go that route. If for whatever reason down the road, I decide it's no longer the best solution for me, I'm only out 60 bucks. Hard to beat for that price.
"-)
Old 12-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

same here. To me it's a non starter, Sage TV beat everything else hands down. Yes the UI needs work but I have faith in 2.0. Can't wait. I have no regrets about purchasing the software...