SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Sage User

System Clock Issues....

I have a ATI chicpset motherboard and a Gforce8600GT.
Time problems have been happining for awhile,
each morning at 6:00-6:30am my clock,sage,etc. shows
10:am the previous morning. minutes are always correct.

I've tried windows updates, diffrent windows time servers,
Independent time servers, enable & disable Sage Server Sync,
and a new Battery????

I've noticed in other threads talking about a few minutes,
but never 1/2 or whole days?

all my recordings 12:am to 1:00am have screwed up time lines
and usually don't record the whole program.
usually the timeline shows 1:00(hr) but has a yellowish green line towards the beginning.
as I FF the time line stays left of that funny mark, and usually the time counter is way off..

Any body else had these problems? I've held off on re-installing everything
because wife and little-one now use it almost 24-7...
and I have WinTV- 250, 150, HVR-1600, HDHR, and it will take awhile to
start from scratch.

Thanks, Go-Bears
Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Give this tool a shot, it won't fix the underlining problem, but if you set it to update every 5 minutes or so it should keep your recordings on track...

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U...chronizer.html

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 09-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Although another time-correction utility may help, I don't think that is the problem here. It looks to me as if there is a tool currently changing the time once a day, since the hour changes once a day and the minutes are correct. However, this tool is either buggy, using a buggy algorithm, or is using bad time zone info. Another added utility may use the same bad info.

I don't think this is a hardware problem, but a buggy time tool or bad time zone configuration.

I have some things to check, but the first suggestion, if nothing else works, is to turn off all time setting tools, and keep the current time. You will see a small drift in the time, will show up in the start of recordings. After a few days, they will start to begin a little early or a little late, and you can manually adjust the system time to correct, perhaps only once a week, which should be much better than the current situation. Go to Control Panel->Date and Time Properties->Internet Time tab->uncheck Automatically synchronize... Then turn off or disable all other utilities you have running, that are supposed to keep the time correct, including SageTV.

Better choice is to find out why the time is being set wrong. You mention Windows Updates, but do you have the latest time zone update, issued last week? How about Java, is it up to date? Current version is Java v6 update 2. It is usually best to first uninstall all current Java's first.

How about your Windows time zone settings. Are you sure it is set correctly? You did not mention where you are, or what your time zone should be. Once time zone info is correct, I would only run one time tool, preferably Windows or SageTV.

There have been a number of cases where time zone tables have had errors, things like a reversed sign (-10 instead of +10, a 20 hour difference), or just bad data. Some tools expect positive offsets where others expect negative.

When you have turned on SageTV setting of the system clock, did you have a time zone setting in the properties file? Check time_zone= in Sage.properties.

Hoping somewhere above is a tip that will help you find the cause...
Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 AM
Sage User

I had almost the same problem. Intermittently my clock would just change times , sometimes days and years. I never figured out how to properly fix the problem or where it was originating. I found a nice utility that runs in the background, consumes little resources and constantly connects to a time server every 5 minutes. You can change the time to what ever you want but I setup mine to do it repeatedly because I never know when the time/date is going to change. Here's a link to the program, I hope it helps.
http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/
Old 09-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Sage User

Do you have a DC(domain controller) on your network? This had me going for a while. My HTPC was updating its clock from the DC once a day, messing up the HTPC time (2 mins off). I put atomic clock on the HTPC, not knowing it was updating time from the DC, which did nothing because it would correct the time and then windows would set it back to DC time a little later. My DC was set to use hardware clock for time updates, so it never had the correct time. In the end, I installed atomic clock on the DC.