SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Sage Icon

UNC import video issue

I have sage running in service mode, recording to non-UNC'd local directories, and it works fine. I recently added a UNC path video import directory for some videos located on another computer in my home network.

The problem is that the videos don't show in the imported directory, which I assume is because the directory apparently isn't accessible to sage.

Sage runs as a service, logged in with a username/password. The video files are shared with full privileges to "everyone". If I go to my server and try to play a remote file via Windows Media Player, I have to enter a username/pass for the remote machine. I'm guessing this is the problem.

Nothing shows up in the sage log regarding these import videos. Sage just seems to skip them.

Any thoughts as to what additional privileges I'd need to grant for this to work. I'm not on a domain, just a home network.

Thanks
matt
Old 09-03-2007, 03:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Do you have a user object on both machines with the same name and password?

B
Old 09-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Do you have a user object on both machines with the same name and password?

B
BCJenkins' idea will likely fix it for ya, Mike. "Everyone" is a group, not a user. You need to create a user (for login) that will be a part of the group you have permissions set for.
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 09-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Sage Icon

OK, that did it. I set the user/pass to be the same on the two machines.

Do I actually need to be logged in [on each machine] using the same user/pass for this to work, or is simply having them exist enough?

Thanks
Matt
Old 09-03-2007, 05:29 PM
SageTVaholic

You just need to verify that from the server you can access the share under the logon of the server without password prompt.

B
Old 09-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Pick me, pick me! I know a better answer. Instead of dancing around creating user accounts on multiple machines, you can just enable what's called null sessions on the computer sharing the media. A null session is simply a session run without a login name. You'll also have to change a setting so that "everyone" permissions apply to "guests."

Here is how it is done.

From the Start menu, Run the program regedit.
In the Registry Editor window, find the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine" window.
Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/lanmanserver/parameters."
Open the multi string value "NullSessionShares" and add the share name from the folder you selected in step 1. This value should be entered on a new line in the registry value.
Close the Registry Editor window.

Optionally, you can create a new DWord called RestrictNullSessAccess and set the value to 0. This will make all your shares available to null sessions.

Now we need to let the permissions for the user group "everyone" apply to guest logins:

Start menu
Run
gpedit.msc
Drill down to the following location:Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options
Double click on "Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users"
Select "Enable" and press Enter

Finally, either reboot the computer, or just restart the server service as outlined below.

Under Administrative Tools, select Services.
Right-click on the "Server" service and select Restart to restart the service.

Once you have done this, sage will be able to see the imported files even when the service is running under the default local system account.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:24 AM
SageTVaholic

You could, but not as secure.

B
Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not as secure, but a bit easier to manage since you can do it on the one machine that hosts the files and then be done for your whole network.