SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV + DVB-S for SkyUK with XMLTV Guide

Hello Guys,

After spending the last 2 years in the world of Dreambox, I'm making a decsion to move back to SageTV given the now offically supported DVB-S functions. I have being experiencing some real issues with getting the EPG working, so I would like to create a Step by Step guide on how to get this working.

I am going to start at the begining, hooking up the DVB-S feed. and work from there. I would be very greatful for all and any input that you can provide as I attempt to get this working and documented for everyone else to share and learn from. If you Feel i have selected the incorrect tools for any of these steps or a mistake anywhere, please reply and I will update the

My Hardware is:
  • Athlon x64 system [running XP 32Bit]
  • MCE IR Reciver and Remote Control
  • 2 HDD's [1 for OS, and 1 for Video]
  • Old Technotrend C1500 with CI Slot.
  • Dragon CAM [lying around somewhere that i just cant remember yet]

Currently all the Free-to-Air channels are rendering, but as expected the encrypt channels just reamin Black.

The installed software on the system is:
  • Windows XP SP2 [32Bit]
  • Sage 6.2
  • Sage 6.2 MCE Theme
  • CoreAVC 1.5
  • DivX 6.3 Standard
  • Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3 Pro

Kind Regards
Damian

1. Sage Configuration
1.1 Source Setup Wizard
  • Add New Source
  • Select your Installed Source - eg "Technotrend BDA/DVB Capture Digital TV Tuner
  • Select the input on your source - eg "Digital TV Tuner"
  • Select your DVB-S Provider, eg "Astra (28.2)"
  • Select your turning options, eg "Use Tuner on Capture Card to tune Antenna/Broadcast"
  • Select your Program Guide Data, eg "Use US, Canada or XMLTV Guide Data with this Source"
  • Select type of Program Guide Data Provider, eg "Cable or Satalite"
  • Enter a ZIP Code, for SkyUK DVB-S we "leave this blank" and Click Continue then Select "XMLTV Lineup" on the next screen
  • The system will then tell you to wait while the lineup is downloaded....
  • Select the level of service that matches your XMLTV lineup, eg "Extended Basic Service"
  • Now - you will be dropped to the Channel Setup; As this is our first run we will be prompted to Scan for available channels. Select "Yes - Scan for all channels now". This will pop up a status message and begin a scan to locate all the channels and can take 30 minutes to complete. Have a cuppa tea
  • Once this is complete, Select "Done with Channel Setup"
  • Back on the Wizard Summary Page Select "Finish Source Setup"

2. XMLTV Feed

Using the Radio Times XMLTV Grabber from birtles.org.uk
  • Download the current version of the tool [3.09.01 at time of Writing] from @ http://www.birtles.org.uk/xmltv/xmltvgui_3.09.01W.exe
  • Install the Utility
  • Launch the XMLTV GUI and select Settings on the Tools Menu
  • On the Global Settings tab, select the XML sub tab
  • Set your Timezone, eg "GMT/BST"
  • Set the Listings Save Location to C:\Program Files\XMLTV\Data\xmltv-grab.xml
  • On the Grabbers tab, select UK_RT grabber
  • With the UK_RT grabber highlighted, select the Channels button
  • Click the Refresh Channels Button and then Click the >> Button to Select ALL channels for processing.
  • Click OK button to close the dialogue
  • On the Postprocessor tab, select UK_RT_Plus_One
  • With the UK_RT_Plus_One processor highlighted, select the Setting button and select each channel you wish to have a +1 entry created for. Click OK to close the Dialogue
  • On the Postprocessor tab, selectUK_RT_ALT_XMLTV
  • On the Postprocessor tab, selectUK_RT_Alt_Cat
  • Click OK to close the Settings Dialogue
  • Finally Grab Listings

3. Sage XMLTV Import

Using the Importer from LMGestion.net we need to follow these steps
  • Download the current version of the tool [2.8 at time of Writing] from @ http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4/22...55/article.asp
  • Stop SageTV
  • Install the Sage XMLTV Importer
  • Launch the Importer and you will be greeted with the Welcome Wizard
  • Click Next, and enter the path of your XMLTV file [Created in Stage 2 above - C:\Program Files\XMLTV\Data\xmltv-grab.xml ].
  • Click Next, we can specify the location of our XMLTV Grabber as well as the parameters to use. [We will not configure this at this stage or document Writing]
  • Click Next, Specify our time zone settings. To help you find the right settings, the wizard displays the air date of a show, adjust settings until the air date is right for the show, then click on the "Next >" button.
  • Use the suggested option to determine the difference between two episodes of the same series. If after importing our data, you see in the program guide that two episodes are the same when they should not be, try to change the detection method (the safer is based on airing date).
  • The "shows without original air date are reruns" should be unchecked If the XMLTV file doesn't contain any data about first run and rerun, then all shows will be first run and progressively we will begin to see some reruns.
  • Specify the keywords that best describes movies, series, sports and news in our XMLTV file and specify the prefix the importer will use for episode numbering, click on the "Next >" button.

more to come......

Last edited by damian.flynn; 11-11-2007 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Good luck!

You look like you are going the right way about it.

If you are using Sky and DVB-S cards, you need to know that Sky make a distinction between 'Free to View' and 'Free to air'. There are quite a fiew channels which are 'Free' but encrypted, such as Channels 4 and 5. To watch these channels, you will need a card with a CI on it and a Sky Free View Customer card. I don't know how to set any of this up. Otherwise, you will need to do what I do and have 2 Sky boxes and analogue capture. You will also need a USBUIRT to change the channels, which brings me onto the next problem...

Sky keep changing their channel numbers, which means you have to keep re-doing your channel lineup every so often.

W.R.T this last problem, I got Sage talking to a company in the UK that collates and sells EPG info. Hopefully, We could end up with UK TV integrated into sage, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to happen!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

thanks
I updated the main post to expand on the hardware and software used, as your questions rightly queried on how i was going at this.

Im still having issues with the EPG so there is more work needed there before i can get this guide updated.

Finally, i need to find or buy a new dragonCAM, mine seems to fave flow away over the past year or so