SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Buy now or wait?

Does anyone know what Frey's upgrade policy will be when the new version comes out? i.e. Since it's going to be out soon, should I wait before buying?

Also, when do you guys think HD will become a reality? I know there is prototype support for AccessDTV, but when will it become supported?

And it's just over-the-air HDTV since cable HD is encrypted, right? I don't expect Cox will ever give me a box with digital HD out... I guess this is one nice feature of the Directv+Tivo all-in-one units.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
The upgrade is free for 2.0, so buy now, and get a feel for the quality etc....

mikejaner
Old 01-11-2004, 10:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, the upgrade will be free, so no need to wait.

About HD support, we haven't been given any feel for when this will happen. I know from posts by Jeff/Dan that they are interested in it (hence the experimental support). My guess would be that once 2.0 settles down a little HDTV will start to get a little more attention. From what I've read, the ADTV records perfectly as it is, the problem is that Sage has some trouble playing back the files.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the replies. Regarding my last question, I guess I would have to do a digital->analog->digital conversion because Cox' set-top-box won't output DVI yet. (And I'm skeptical that the content providers will let them in the future. So I'd need to find a card that takes Y-Pb-Pr inputs.

Another question: I shouldn't use the cable STB to watch TV while Sage is recording without messing up Sage. How do you guys prevent this from happening? Do you not even watch TV like this any more? Or did you get another STB from your cable company?