SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Can't delete some recordings

For some reason Sage will not delete about a dozen or so recordings. Problem appears random. When I go to Admin tools/comp mgt/ and look at my open files, the files that won't delete show as being open. I can't tell which program may have them open. I don't have any other apps such as comskip, dir mon, etc running.

Everything else seems to work fine. I am running 6.2.10 on server, with two MVPs and one client on 6.2.10. latest version of java.

Any ideas how to fix or how to tell which program is keeping the files "open"? I believe Sage is the only program that could be...
Old 11-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Administrator

You could use Process Explorer to find the process that has the files open.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Sage Icon

Do you see any correlation between the files that won't delete and where they were accessed from (MVP, Client). Also are you running comskip/ShowAnalyzer on them, and if so are either of those crashing during processing which may not release the file handle.

I play files off my server with an MVPclient, and Roku Photobridge and have never had any trouble with either of them not releasing a file.
However my MediaReady 5000 which runs Linux (server is XP) and 3.x something of Sage doesn't release the file handles for whatever reason. NOTE: since it runs such an old version of Sage I can't use it as a client so I have to use the media selector to go to the shared recordings directories on the server and play the files from there.
The only way I could get it to release the file handles was to reboot it. So I never play anything other than native MR5k recorded files on that machine any more, I just play them on the Roku Photobridge (which is MUCH higher quality picture and sound than the POC that is the MR5k)

I don't know if any of that will help, just though I'd chime in with a couple ideas.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you Wayne and Opus,,
Per process explorer it is Sage keeping the files open, when I search for .mpg it will show the process twice, something like this:
Processs Type Handle or DLL
System 4 Handle F:\show
SageTVService.exe 1644 Handle \Device\LanmanRedirector\HTPC-Server\f_video\show.mpg

My recordings drives are mapped per UNC paths.

It apears it does not matter if file was viewed with MVP or Client, although I suspect in may be related to my M780 Avermedia combo tuner (I am just using S-video in), happens no more than 1 out of 4 files, and I have 1 M780 and 3 PVR150s. So I have set that tuner to a different quality setting to verify recording to this tuner based on file size.

When I restart sage it will delete the files previously selected for deletion automatically, however while sage is running I can't delete the files through windows. Also, when I delete the file from within sage, it does disappear, but comes back after a couple minutes, I can no longer play the file from sage, but it still shows when viewed through "my computer". I have Sage running as a user and PW with admin rights. The same user and PW I use when logging into the comuter.

I have no other apps like comskip running, actually I recently upgraded HW so I could run comskip with no slowdowns. I am running a P35 based gigabyte bd, core2 cpu, 3 PVR 150s and an M780 PCI-X (driver downloaded from their website 1.5 weeks ago), XP Pro. Format and reinstall everything from scratch, didn't even save old recordings except those saved to a non-recording external drive.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

If you have no customizations running at all, then you should probably contact support to see what they suggest you do next. I would say to file a bug report, but you might just get asked to try the v6.3 beta to see if it still occurs... which you might want to try anyway.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

that's exactly what I was thinking Andy, Now I have the official excuse for my wife
Old 12-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Problem happens with 6.3.2 and 6.3.3, so bug report submitted.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Sage User

This is happening to me as well

Every so often, I cannot delete a file from my server. I can choose to delete the show and it disappears from the recording list. A short while later, the show reappears at the bottom of the recording list. I have even watched it reappear while looking at the recordings list. If I go to the server, I cannot delete the file from Windows because it's still in use. The only way I have found to delete the file is stop the Sage service, delete the files in Windows, then restart the service.

This first appeared under 6.1.9. I just upgraded to 6.2.10 to see if it would go away, but no luck. I run a server w/ 2 clients (1 runs Sage client, the other runs Placeshifter). The problem occurs w/ both clients.

I will submit a support request as well.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just curious what tuner cards do you have?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Sage User

My tuner cards

I have 3 cards:
Hauppauge PVR-150 (DirectTV receiver)
AverMedia A180 (OTA HD)
AverMedia M780 (both OTA HD and a DirectTV receiver)
Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm having a variation of this problem with 6.3.3.

I don't have a server running. Just a basic install. I watched Gray's Anatomy last night. Deleted the show. Flipped around some menus and then it was back in the recordings list.

I have now deleted it 5 times to no avail. It is the only program running on this pc (aside from windows and associated processes.
Sage 7.1.9, Java Java 1.7.0_75, Windows 8.1, Athlon X4 620, 4GB, Hauppauge 950Q, ATI 650HD video encoder with IR/Blaster, Radeon 5450, HDMI out, TV is primary monitor, Plex Plug-in serves up to mobile devices/PS3/WiiU just fine
Old 12-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

same thing here for a while ...

Are you using shared directories?

What I do through a script at boot time is for each shared directory:
run an 'explorer [drive]:' command and send it an [alt]-[F4] to close it
then run an attrib -r -s -h *.* on the directory too

What I have noticed is that Windows XP Pro SP2 will sometimes lock the directory from changes until an explorer drive: command is run on the computer hosting the share. (Or just run windows explorer, view said directory and then delete the file using either system)

It seems to happen to files at random, so I just set up some scripts to do it at boot time or 6 am every day (the attrib command is for those stubborn mornings).

Bobby
SageTV Server: Windows 7 64Bit, Phenom II X6 1090T, Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3), ATI Radeon HD 4290, 2 x KHX1600C9D3/4GX, 4 x HD-PVR2 Gaming, , 4 x 320GB recording drives, 2 x USB-UIRT, SageTV Server Beta
SageTV Client & 2 x HD-300 Extender.
40.8TB unRaid 6.6.5 media server
Old 12-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Sage User

Shared recording directory

That's interesting! My Sage recording folder is shared on the network. I can try turning off the file sharing (don't really need it anyway) to see what happens. Your post makes sense, but I don't understand why shutting down the SageTV service releases the files? Once the service is stopped, I can go to the files in Windows and delete them w/o rebooting or doing anything else to the directory.

Thanks for your help
Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by c550_560_dr View Post
That's interesting! My Sage recording folder is shared on the network. I can try turning off the file sharing (don't really need it anyway) to see what happens. Your post makes sense, but I don't understand why shutting down the SageTV service releases the files? Once the service is stopped, I can go to the files in Windows and delete them w/o rebooting or doing anything else to the directory.

Thanks for your help
I also share my video recordings directories and view/play files from other machines. Both Linux based, one an ancient SageTV version (3.x running on a MediaReady 5000. Don't get me started on that hunk of crap), and a Roku Photobridge which is Linux based.
I've never had the Roku lock a file and keep it from being deleted on the Sage Server unless I was actually playing the file on the Roku.

However under certain circumstances I have had problems with the MediaReady box locking files requiring a reboot of the Sage Server to get the files released. If I recall it was always when I had tried to delete the file from the MediaReady. I'm sure it was just a permissions problem between the MediaReady's Linux and WinXP on the Server.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

hmm, I have always marked my sage recording directories as shared and mapped as UNC drives within Sage. I recall I had to set them up as shares in order to get Sage to record.
I will mess with this in the AM, what is wierd for me is that every single recording I can't delete has been recorded with the M780 tuner. So perhaps this is a fluke.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

I believe you have to share your folders in order to get UNC paths to work. I turned off file sharing and could no longer record or watch shows.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Sage User

Sharing the Sage recording folder

I stopped sharing my Sage recording folder on the server and rebooted it. This appears to have helped! Prior to turning off the folder sharing, I noticed some files from watching the evening news that should have deleted automatically. These were watched "live" and not set up as recordings. Once I stopped sharing the folder and rebooted the server, these files disappeared. I still have file sharing turned on in Windows, but I'm not sharing the specific Sage recording folder.

Last edited by c550_560_dr; 12-08-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Sage User

Nope, sharing folders is not the problem

I stopped sharing my Sage recording folder yesterday and that seemed to make a difference, but the problem reappeared this morning when I tried to delete a pregame show. What's interesting is when I try to play the file, it only runs for 1 second and then stops. Is this happening to anyone else? I can't check the attributes on the Sage recording folder as suggested by perfesser101 right now (too much football on!) I'm wondering if everyone out there having this problem is using an Avermedia M780. I think this started happening after I added this card. It may also be isolated to the analog tuner and not the HD digital tuner.

I received a reply from Sage support asking me to try and delete the file from the server. The tech seems to think one of my clients is not releasing the file. I tried this and was unable to delete the file on the server even though the clients were shut down. Wakecrash, have you had any responses from Sage support?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, I have sent them my log files. The same 1 sec playback thing happens with me as well.
They asked me this question, could this be true for your? "maybe it's just things you watch live and it alawys defaults to that tuner first"

A quick way that I can tell which files will not delete is go to computer mgt, then shared folders, then open files. The mpgs that show as open, and are not being recorded or watches will be the ones you can't delete from Sage or windows (if sage server is on).

Oh, and how do you turn on file sharing, but not share a drive? I only know of going to the drive properties, then the sharing tab.

Last edited by Wakecrash; 12-09-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have 2 M780s and I have this problem too. I also have a Hauppaugue 1800 so I haven't noticed which tuners give me this problem.

I've noticed if I delete them a few times over the course of a couple days, they do eventually disappear. All of my viewing is on MVPs (5 of them)... I assumed it was something to do with that, but maybe it is indeed the M780s.