SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Anyone tested or get Closed Caption working on HD extender

I am wanting to buy the HD extender but I would like to know if anyone managed to get Closed Caption working on it or not?

Thank you
Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 12-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Sage User

It plays Closed Captions from my DVDs that are in VOB format and sitting on a networked drive great! I couldn't be happier with that. As far as live tv or recorded tv, someone else will have to chime in as I have never configured that to do Closed Captions.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrellner View Post
It plays Closed Captions from my DVDs that are in VOB format and sitting on a networked drive great! I couldn't be happier with that. As far as live tv or recorded tv, someone else will have to chime in as I have never configured that to do Closed Captions.
Good to hear and still would like to know if got closed caption from live or recorded tv with supported tuners.

Hrmmm not familiar with VOB format but it Closed Caption from it? not subtitle?

I am asking because Closed Caption and Subtitles are 2 different thing but both display texts on screen.

Thank you for replying!
Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 12-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Good to hear and still would like to know if got closed caption from live or recorded tv with supported tuners.

Hrmmm not familiar with VOB format but it Closed Caption from it? not subtitle?

I am asking because Closed Caption and Subtitles are 2 different thing but both display texts on screen.

Thank you for replying!
Bill
VOB are DVD files, and "captions" in DVDs are subtitles. That is expected to work from Sage.

Bill, I don't have any CC files to test with, or I would.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Sage Icon

Actually DVDs can have both captions and subtitles embedded in them.

Depending on the tuners you have, you may have embedded captions already. I see in your profile, you mention the WinTV USB2 tuner, that won't have them, but your OTA'd HDHR and firewired STB should have embedded digital captions that cna be displayed using the WinDVD or PowerDVD decoders on a SageCLient.

the best solution would be if the Extender can display those captions. IF you bring up the options menu, do you have any captions options? I wonder if the cc_option_enabled=true setting is available in the extender's .properties file.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
I am wanting to buy the HD extender but I would like to know if anyone managed to get Closed Caption working on it or not?

Thank you
Bill
Bill, Sorry to break this to you. The HD Extender does not support Closed Captioning. The option can not be toggled at all. I was really hoping it did support it as my wife's sister is deaf.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronics4lif View Post
Bill, Sorry to break this to you. The HD Extender does not support Closed Captioning. The option can not be toggled at all. I was really hoping it did support it as my wife's sister is deaf.
I am disappointed to hear that but thanks for letting me know.

I had a strong feeling it wasn't going to have closed caption since SageTV doesn't support it in MVP or Placeshifter but maybe one day they will consider adding firmware to support it like in regular SageTV.

Thanks again for sharing info!
Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Closed Captions on the Extender Does NOT work?

Can anyone confirm for me that CC does NOT work natively on the HD Extender? Does teh property setting allow you to turn it on?
DEFAULT STV
Comskip triggered by DirMON2 --- HD100 / HD200 /HD300
BMI fanart
Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Sage Icon

I am using the Closed Caption stvi and at least for captions in SMI format it works just fine. The Closed Caption stvi also "supports" internal captions.

I have no way of testing this in my part of the world.

It may be worth contacting the author of the stvi to see if it supports OTA CC. If it does then it should be OK.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Sage Icon

Extender FAQ

John
Old 04-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Sage User

Do live OTA HD captions work on HD extender?

Hi TechBill, did you buy the HD extender and were you able to watch live OTA HD captions on it? I'm deaf too and I just want a small HD extender in my entertainment console with a regular desktop computer elsewhere that does the recording and all that other Tivo-like stuff. After three hours reading threads in this forum, I know that the HD extender can't display embedded captions but JREkiwi's Closed Caption Playback plugin can display captions and subtitles in .smi files. What I don't know is whether the plugin can extract the captions and create the .smi files while I'm watching live OTA HD so I can see the captions immediately. I have to decide between setting up a regular computer with a HD tuner card and a HD extender or buying a Tivo HD. I know I will have absolutely no problems watching both analog and digital closed captions (whether live OTA or recorded) if I buy the TiVo HD - it will just work out of the box. On the other hand, I'll be stuck paying subscription fees year after year whereas all my costs should be one-time upfront if I buy the SageTV software and HD extender bundle, even though I'd have to spend a few hours searching the forums for info and configuring the hardware and software (I'm a Java computer programmer so that doesn't faze me). Hey JREkiwi and Opus4, would the Closed Caption Playback plugin work as well on a Linux computer as it does on a Windows computer? I keep seeing mention of having to use the PowerDVD decoder or another external Windows decoder instead of SageTV's builtin decoder in order to support captions when playing DVDs. OK, that's all, thanks for any answers.