SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:02 AM

Setting up a network encoder

I am in the initial planning phase of setting up a network encoder for my SageTV system. The SageTV server runs with two 160GB drivers. My first question is how to setup the network encoder to properly utilize both of those drives. Everything I see indicates that it will only use one drive location.

Anyone have any ideas how to do this?
Old 01-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Sage Icon

The network encoder will use the directory that is specified by the SageTV server. If you have both drives added to the list of storage locations in SageTV, SageTV will tell SageRecorder where it should send the MPEG data. Due to some experiences that I had earlier this week, it seems as if SageTV tries to balance the amount of unused space on each of its potential storage locations (i.e., if you have a 160 and 120 GB drive, it will record to the 160 until it gets below 120GB and then alternate).

I would really like it if I could specify the storage location for each encoder so that my remote encoder could store its files locally, but my network traffic is light enough so it does not cause any problems for now.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:04 PM

That is what I want it to do. So what do I put in the video directory peoprty on SageRecorder? Can I leave it blank? This is the part that confuses me...

"The one main constraint is that all of the drives that are used by the SageTV server for storing video must be network shares. They can be referred to in the SageTV setup using their UNC pathnames (i.e. \\computer\share) or using mapped drives. If you're using mapped drives, the same drive letter must appear on the SageTV PC as well as the SageRecorder network encoding PC."
Old 01-22-2004, 02:50 PM

I think I know what this means now. I have my SageTV server configured to use W:\ and V:\. I don't have to configure SageRecorder specifically to use these drives. Instead I just create two mapped drives on the network encoding server with the driver letters W and V each mapped to the matching drive on the SageTV server.

Is that correct?
Old 01-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

You got it.