SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Tivo-like FFW/REW please!

I just wanted to get a plea out there to add Tivo-like FFW/REW. I really thought it would be with Sage 2.0 (maybe it is still coming, I don't know). My wife and I really hate the skipping forward and back to go through commercials since we are used to Tivo smooth FFW/REW. So Dan/Jeff, I love the Sage 2.0 so far, but could we please have this added functionality? I promise I won't ask for anything else again (I bet you never heard that before? )
Old 01-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Add my vote to this too. Everyone I've ever shown sage to comments on this.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Sage Expert

Ditto... My wife refuses to watch anything on SageTV because you have to skip through xx seconds at a time with bursts of audio at each skip.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Sage User

I understand how you could miss it, but having both myself, I really prefer the giant time-skip feature. I configured one button to to a large skip (I think I have it set for 2 minutes 15 seconds or something like that), then another for a small (15 second) skip. I can instantly get through most commercials with just 2 presses. With the Tivo, it consistantly took 4, and you had to wait for the commericals to pass. It took us about a week to get used to, but now that I have it, the TiVo's quickly getting outdated.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:46 PM

Don't get it myself either. It is much faster to use the 2.5 minute skip then a couple FF's than with a Tivo. I don't get any audio bursts either.

Maybe it is not a question about efficiency and more aesthetic?
Old 01-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
As a TiVo user, I general use the 30 second skip when going through comercials but there are definately times when I prefer the smooth fast forward. When you are looking for somehting that is very brief it is easy to skip over it entirely with any kind of jump and sometimes I like to "scan" through an entire program which is definitely better with a smooth fast forward. So this feature definitely gets my vote but I don't consider it a show stopper.

t
Old 01-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I use a 2 min skip as well as a 10 sec skip and a 10 sec rew. When it comes to commercials I skip for 2 min and depending on the show I know some to be just over 2min I use the 10 sec ff or 10sec rew if I go over. This layout seems to work well for me.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Sage User

Also in skip/rewind mode-- 30 seconds forward, 10 back. makes watching football a whole new experience. Personally, I hate the tivo method-- I always wind up overshooting and having to mess around forever trying to get back to the start.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I would like Tivo FF and REW also

mikejaner
Old 01-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Sage Icon

Well my wife and I are two more that don't understand how anyone could like 'smooth FFWD' over SKIP... She would never use 'smooth FFWD'.

That being said, no reason it can't work both ways (configurably).

I'de like to see it included just so everyone can use whatever is their preference.

Jason
Old 01-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I'de like to see it included just so everyone can use whatever is their preference.

Exactly, There are enough buttons for both to be availible, so why not have both.
I don't mind skipping 30 seconds at a time, but my wife does. She's used to the Tivo, and if I am gonna replace it with Sage, she has to approve of it's features etc.....Gotta love the WAF

mikejaner
Old 01-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Sage User

Were do you set the time delays for fast forward and rewind in sagetv? and were can you remap extra keys easily to have 2 minute skips and 10 second skips? I am just using the Hauppauge remote that came with my USB2 Model.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Sage Icon

Yes, the ReplayTV like FFW/REW would be great. That is the only thing my wife miss when she's using our new HTPC.

Once I find how to set a 30 second skip button like Replaytv has, we will be home free.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Sage Icon

The time delays for fast forward and rewind are in the properties file. It is my understanding that they are still there in the beta.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:21 PM

Look for these lines in the "sage.properties" file.:
videoframe/ff_time=30000
videoframe/ff_time2=150000

These two are the fast forward or skip settings.

videoframe/rew_time=-10000
videoframe/rew_time2=-30000

These two are the rewind or skip backward settings. Notice the minus sign is neccessary for the skip backward timings.
All 4 settings use time increments in milliseconds.ie 30000 means 30 seconds.

The file is in your SageTV dir. Make sure Sage is not running when you edit the properties file, if Sage is just in "sleep" mode the changes won't stick.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the info

edit: Done what you posted. I now have ReplayTV like 30 second skip

once again thanks

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 01-25-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:23 AM
Sage User

I also vote for both. Skipping through a 5 minute commercial-break, is easier with both skip and FFW/RW. That way, you can hit the exact place at the end of the commercials and not miss a single important video frame.
Furthermore,the buttons are there for both, and who wants unused buttons on their remote ?
Old 01-26-2004, 05:08 AM
Sage User

How do you change the Hauppauge remote setup in Sagetv to add the ff_time2 to a button on the remote? Thanks for how to do the time that speed commercial skips up alot.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:29 PM

jackP

Sorry, I don't use the hauppauge remote so I can't tell you how to add any functions to the Hauppauge remote. I knid of got the impression from reading the posts by others that the Hauppauge remote mappings used all available buttons on the hauppauge remote. I do know that the place to map commands to a remote is under Setup>Detailed Setup>Commands. But I believe that's mostly for people like me who have an additional IR reciever/transmitter and remote.

You can try there and if that doesn't help you can either do some searches of the other forums on this board OR post in another forum with a more desciptive title for your new question. This should help your question get more attention from the right people and help it stand out from all the beta posts too.

Last edited by justme; 01-26-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would like to add my support for this feature please

Dan