SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Next EPG Update In: Never

I think I bugged this one last night, then it got resolved (I thought), and now it is back... The System Information screen says: "Next EPG Update In: Never". That's a little longer than I wish to wait.

Anyway, as I said above, this occurred last night. I got the EPG data to update by exiting SageTV and restarting it. After the guide updated, everything seemed to continue normally, since the next scheduled update was in 23 hours, 57 minutes. Now (less than 24 hours later), I see that the EPG is not scheduled to be updated again.

Is anyone else running into this? Any cause discovered? Workaround, other than exiting & restarting SageTV? I don't remember seeing any other postings on this one & a search showed nothing.

Comments? Thanks.

- Andy
Old 01-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Sage User

I have the same problem, it list never also. I havent messed with tring to fix it though.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
I hadn't noticed it before but mine also says never. However, it did update yesterday afternoon. Perhaps the only thing broken is where it says when it will next update?

t
Old 01-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Administrator

I will check it again, but the first time it happened I did simply let it go to see what would happen -- no update occurred until I killed SageTV and restarted. ( I say 'killed', since by then Sage won't let me exit at all & I have to kill the process.) Maybe it was a fluke & it will update next time. Never say never?

But, the other side of this is: did yours say never before it updated yesterday afternoon? i.e.: will it update again now that it says never?

- Andy
Old 01-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Sage Expert

Well, I have no idea what it said yesterday. I just didn't look. Also, I've been stopping and starting it a lot since I was messing around with getting my music imported. I'll let it run for a while and see if it updates again. The 24 hour mark is in about 2 1/2 hours.

t
Old 01-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Sage User

Hmm mine has been up 2 days 6 hours and last update it did was sunday at 8PM. So i think it really is never.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Sage Expert

Hrm. I took a look at the log and the 1st and 3rd lines here are the only mention of the EPG in the log:

Mon 1/26 19:40:00.276 EPG needs an update in 1230 minutes
Mon 1/26 19:40:00.276 Carny got a Std job of null
Mon 1/26 19:40:00.334 EPG's works is done. Waiting...

Mine has not updated today and it has been over 24 hours. Has anyone filed a bug for this one yet?

t
Old 01-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Yes, I bugged it -- but if you (or anyone else) has more information on it, I don't see why you couldn't file it too... it would certainly show that it isn't an isolated incident.

Edit - This one seems pretty serious to me, since the EPG stops updating w/o any sort of warning. If you aren't observant, you will begin to miss all your recordings.

- Andy

Last edited by Opus4; 01-27-2004 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Sage Icon

Yup, I'm seeing the same thing.

I get one update after an exit/restart of the server and that is it. Never gets EPG data again after that.

Bug filed.

Hope this gets fixed before I go out of town for 8 days... Although if I do a server restart right before I leave Saturday I should have enough EPG data downloaded...

Jason

Last edited by JasonJoel; 01-27-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonJoel
Hope this gets fixed before I go out of town for 8 days... Although if I do a server restart right before I leave Saturday I should have enough EPG data downloaded...
I'm not sue that will do you any good -- my next 3 days of scheduling did not get done until I restarted Sage. So, if that doesn't get updated, your shows stop recording after 3 days.

- Andy
Old 01-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Sage Icon

You are right... I restarted my server Sunday, and even though I EPG data well through next week I have no more recordings scheduled after today (day 3).

Oh well, maybe Jeff will fix/patch before Saturday for me. If not, oh well... It IS just TV after all. heh

Jason

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
I'm not sue that will do you any good -- my next 3 days of scheduling did not get done until I restarted Sage. So, if that doesn't get updated, your shows stop recording after 3 days.

- Andy
Old 01-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Update Java!

In case any of you haven't seen my other thread regarding java... update your java software. If you are using Sun's java software, Frey has a link to there site at the bottom of this page.

I found a slight version update & it _seems_ to have fixed a couple things. Might be coincidence, so I'll test more, of course.

- Andy
Old 01-28-2004, 11:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Feature Request: include the JVM that is best for the job in the installer package.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Now _there's_ an idea that would prevent wondering whether it was Sage or Java...

- Andy
Old 01-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Sage Icon

Jeff emailed me and said he THINKS he has fixed this problem for the next release.

So... I'll wait until then and post back here with the results!!!

Jason
Old 01-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Actually, I'm beginning to think perhaps it is fixed already, simply by updating java on my computers... unless he found a problem that, once fixed, would have fixed it even when using my old java installation. That's always possible: write for a newer API that has changed its functionality from the previous versions.

How about any of the rest of you with the same problem -- have you updated java & has that solved it for you?

Of course, a UI improvement would be to have some sort of warning if there is a problem updating the EPG so the user would be aware of it & take some action. Just something to make things more friendly.

Quote:
Jeff emailed me and said he THINKS he has fixed this problem for the next release.
Hmmm... I hate to jump on the "when's it coming" bandwagon... but... can't... resist... typing... was there any indication of when it's coming?

- Andy
Old 01-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Sage Icon

Well... More info!!!! I think you are right, Opus4...

Ok Jeff... See if this makes any sense...

After reading Opus4's posting in the beta forum about upgrading Java version and fixing issues, I thought I would try.

My Sage TV server was running Java 1.4.2(_0).

With this version, I got the "Next EPG Update: NEVER" issue every time after the first EPG update after loading.

Tonight, I updated to Java 1.4.2_03.

Now After the initial EPG Update, it is actually scheduling the EPG updates again. Not sure why this would change anything though!

So long story short, it might not have been a Sage TV bug at all. Rather, it seems it was a Java bug! I'll know for sure after 9:15PM CDST tomorrow (Thursday 1/29), as I've never had it schedule 2 updates in a row since going to 2.0.10 beta...

But for now, so far so good. And I think Opus4 was right, EVERYONE GO UPDATE YOUR JAVA TO 1.4.2_03 IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY!!!

Oh, and of course there was no hint on when the next version was coming. I'll stick my neck out and say, "When it's ready!".

Jason

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
Actually, I'm beginning to think perhaps it is fixed already, simply by updating java on my computers... unless he found a problem that, once fixed, would have fixed it even when using my old java installation. That's always possible: write for a newer API that has changed its functionality from the previous versions.

How about any of the rest of you with the same problem -- have you updated java & has that solved it for you?

Of course, a UI improvement would be to have some sort of warning if there is a problem updating the EPG so the user would be aware of it & take some action. Just something to make things more friendly.

Hmmm... I hate to jump on the "when's it coming" bandwagon... but... can't... resist... typing... was there any indication of when it's coming?

- Andy
Old 01-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Oh, and of course there was no hint on when the next version was coming.
heh... I knew that would be the response, but couldn't resist seeing what you would say. Actually, as much as I miss the categorized list of recordings & a few other UI things, I'm glad I didn't switch back to 1.4 for the time being. I can feel more useful than if I simply said the EPG didn't work & gave up.

It took me a bit, but it _finally_ dawned on me that the recording list is ordered with the most recent recordings at the top (after considering the order of: manual recordings, favorites, IR, watched) So, I can mostly fairly easily figure out which episode of a series came first, except when the channel plays them out of order.

There's another idea if someone with power is reading... but this may be repeating what someone else already said, so I'll second it: How about a way to choose the order of the recording list? Alphabetically, by date, by show length, original airing date, etc.

Oh, and my EPG is set to update on its own in a couple hours & has not been restarted since the last update.

- Andy