SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Sage User

Question SageMC DVD Profiler Import unable to setup

Following Brent Evans instructions in detail I have tried to setup SageMC to import data from DVD Profiler (version 3.1) but I'm still not able import the movies from DVD Profiler database (collection.xml).

I have searched all the post for "DVD Profiler" and have read as much as I can to try to understand what might be the problem and found one post from 3/30/2008 that might have some insight that I list below (way below) but I'm not sure and don't understand the post.

Steps I have tried several times: 1. Refresh meta data and then 2. Rescan folders but nothing changes from my list of videos.

The one thing that might indicate that I have it setup correctly is that if I select "DVD Profiler Import (Offline Videos) it shows a simple list of movies in my DVD Profiler database (collection.xml).

Thanks for looking at this and here is my computer's info and that other post,
Andrew

SageTV V6.3.10
SagMC V6.3.7a
Java V1.6.0_05
Microsft.NET V2 SP1
Windows XP SP2

Quote of an older post:
Bug in SageMC DVD Profiler Import

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Is there a log where I could troubleshoot SageMC not finding my new movies in the collection.xml file? I just checked to be sure the movie was listed in the collection.xml file and it is, and I have the correct path for the collection file listed in SageMC settings (nothing has changed there and it was working until just about a week ago)

I've figured this problem out!!!

Tried so many different things that didn't work, but thought about what might have changed when this import stopped working. The answer?
When the latest version of SageTV stopped requiring that DVDs have the video_ts folder I stopped adding a video_ts folder. I just added that folder for two of the non-working imports and it worked! finally.

So mark this down as a bug and a fix-request. Stop requiring the video_ts folder for dvdprofiler imports to work in SageMC.

Thanks for your working with me on this Gerry - I really appreciate it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Brent : 03-30-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Did you put in the correct paths in SageMC to your DVD Profiler images and where the collection.xml is at? If your DVDs are in a video_ts folder and the paths are correct it should work.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Sage User

Yes I put the paths in correctly and doubled checked them. I even cleared them and entered them in again and went through the entire instruction about 3-4 times.

>>>If your DVDs are in a video_ts folder and the paths are correct it should work.

I have no DVDs on my hard drive I have only put them in DVD Profiler for offline viewing. Is there something I'm missing by what you said above or is that for online videos (videos on the hard drive) only?

Is there a log file created after "rescan import folders"?

Did you understand what they where talking about in that prior post about a bug? (I didn't) Do you know if that has been fixed?

Thanks for all your help, Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Did you put in the correct paths in SageMC to your DVD Profiler images and where the collection.xml is at? If your DVDs are in a video_ts folder and the paths are correct it should work.

Gerry
Old 04-13-2008, 06:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Hello Andrew,
There are several things you need to do for the dvdprofiler to work properly. I'll try to list them out here, but the main thing I recommend you check is the location of the "meta data xml" path and "dvd profiler path" in the SageMC Settings (I'll detail that process below). I think this is what gplasky was referring to above.

One other thing, I'm not clear on if you are trying to import your movies physically in your videos import directories (i.e. ripped dvds, mpg, avi etc movies) or if you are trying to list out a collection of offline dvds that are not stored on your hard drive. If you mean physical, movies in your video import directory then check out this list of things to do below:
  • In DVD Profiler, you movie names must be exactly the same as your movie names. Sage identifies your movie names by the mpg, avi etc file name or if in dvd format it uses the folder name.
  • Once you have your movies added to dvd profiler with the names matching your movie folders/files do a File>Export Profiler Database>Accept. Now notice where your collection.xml file is being placed. You can put this anywhere, but you need to remember where it is being exported as this is where SageMC will be looking for it once we tell SageMC.
  • Once the DVDProfiler collection.xml export is complete Go to the SageMC settings and browse to SageMC Settings>Paths>MetaDataXML. Here you need to type in the path to your collection.xml file you just exported. Select the collection.xml file from the menu.
  • Next in the same SageMC Settings>Paths browse to the DVD Profiler Path. This is the folder where your DVD Profiler images are located. Mine is in "DVDProfiler\Databases\Default\" note that I didn't select the Images folder - you just need to put the path in and include default - no further.
  • Another point that you picked up on is that any dvd files need to have the video_ts folder. This is no longer necessary in the default SageMC, but the dvd profiler import still needs it.
  • Finally you need to open up the videos menu in SageMC view by genre and right-click. Now select "rescan import folders" and wait for it to scan in all movies.
  • Once it has added your movies they should be listed out, but without the dvd covers or metadata. Now in SageMC videos under videos and genre view right-click and select Meta-data options>DVDProfiler Refresh. It should now look for any matching movies in your videos directory with your collections.xml file and insert all metadata and covers for you.
Hope that helps. Post back to let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Brent; 04-13-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Sage User

Thanks Brent for the detail information - that is what I followed from your site. Here are some details and a question:

Meta Data XML c:\export\collection.xml

DVD Profiler Path c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\DVD Profiler\Databaese\Default

I am only trying to list out a collection of offline dvds that are not stored on my hard drive. I have simply added the movies in the DVD Profiler by typing in the barcode number on the back of the movie case.

I see a references below but do not understand what I should have on my hard drive to make this work:
[*]In DVD Profiler, your movie names must be exactly the same as your movie names. Sage identifies your movie names by the mpg, avi etc file name or if in dvd format it uses the folder name.

So I just started putting my movies in the DVD Profiler and attached is the collection.xml file (renamed to be able to upload to this form) with the three movies in the DVD Profiler.

Thanks again for all your help, Andrew
Attached Files
File Type: txt collection.txt (55.6 KB, 425 views)
Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew54 View Post
Thanks Brent for the detail information - that is what I followed from your site. Here are some details and a question:

Meta Data XML c:\export\collection.xml

DVD Profiler Path c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\DVD Profiler\Databaese\Default

I am only trying to list out a collection of offline dvds that are not stored on my hard drive. I have simply added the movies in the DVD Profiler by typing in the barcode number on the back of the movie case.
Okay, if you're wanting your offline dvds listed that's a little different and I honestly haven't done it myself. All of mine are actually on the hard drive.

So, have you done the "MetaData Options">"Import Offline DVDProfiler"? I've never done this (offline movies) so hopefully someone else can help out here....
Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Sage User

Ok, it looks like we have narrowed the issue. I have done the below and when I do I get a list of the three movies in that window with out any pictures. But when I go back to "My Videos" there is nothing. Even after refreshing the Meta Data.

Would you mind adding this DVD 794043785122 to your DVD Profiler and see if this offline DVD will show up in your SAGE TV? That number is the barcode and it is of a rare movie that I thought you might not have.

Thanks again for the help, Andrew

>>>So, have you done the "MetaData Options">"Import Offline DVDProfiler"? I've never done this (offline movies) so hopefully someone else can help out here....
Old 04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Andrew, I've just tried to add an offline dvd and wasn't successful. Let's see if anyone else chimes in to help as I'm either doing something wrong or its not working.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Under SageMC Options, in the Paths Section, you need to make sure you have a valid "Offline Path" set. This is a location for SageMC to create an empty mpg file to represent the movie that is actually offline as well as to store the jpg for the box cover.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Sage User

Wow, that was it - great catch - great help!!

I was surprised that it was set by default to c:\tmp when it could have easily been left blank. I know something left blank or disabled tends to prompt me to look at to see if it needs some information or be turned on.

I will try to write up some detail instructions on getting Offline Videos setup and post here. I'm sure others are probably having similar issues.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Under SageMC Options, in the Paths Section, you need to make sure you have a valid "Offline Path" set. This is a location for SageMC to create an empty mpg file to represent the movie that is actually offline as well as to store the jpg for the box cover.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Sage User

So during this process I found a bug:

If the title of the move has any odd characters in it like any of following:

\/:*?""<>| (This is a restriction of Windows file naming)

It will not create the files on import that it does .mpg or .jpg files for those titles.

The titles come right from the IMDb database and here are some examples.

Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace
High Roller: The Stu Ungar Story

My recommendation is that SageMC replaces those with a simple dash "-" when creating those files.

Is there a better way of reporting this bug and if so how and who should I send it to?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 04-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Those chars are ignored:

DVD Profiler Name:

Your folder should be:

Star Wars I The Phantom Menace

HTH,

Nick.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Sage User

Nick,

Currently I'm only using the Video Section for offline videos only. With offline videos, SageMC creates a small fake .mpg file to reference and then copies the videos covers (images) to the "DVD Profiler offline folder".

It gets the name of the file to create, from the title of the movie which comes from the collection.xml file, which was exported from DVD Profiler. So all it knows is the title with these characters in them. It actually attempts creates a file but stops at these characters and then leaves off the .mpg. I can see this by going to "DVD offline folder" - I actually had the folder open while doing an "offline DVD importing" and saw SageMC create these files correctly and incorrectly.

I spent a good amount time tracking this issue down. The logic could be written in SageMC to fix this issue.

I hope this detail helps everyone, Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_W View Post
Those chars are ignored:

DVD Profiler Name:

Your folder should be:

Star Wars I The Phantom Menace

HTH,

Nick.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ah, I see now.

Looks like it's broken then. It will probably require fixing by the dev in that case

Regards,

Nick.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

I've always just changed the title in DVD Profiler to ger rid of any illegal characters so that : became a -.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew54 View Post
Nick,

Currently I'm only using the Video Section for offline videos only. With offline videos, SageMC creates a small fake .mpg file to reference and then copies the videos covers (images) to the "DVD Profiler offline folder".

It gets the name of the file to create, from the title of the movie which comes from the collection.xml file, which was exported from DVD Profiler. So all it knows is the title with these characters in them. It actually attempts creates a file but stops at these characters and then leaves off the .mpg. I can see this by going to "DVD offline folder" - I actually had the folder open while doing an "offline DVD importing" and saw SageMC create these files correctly and incorrectly.

I spent a good amount time tracking this issue down. The logic could be written in SageMC to fix this issue.

I hope this detail helps everyone, Andrew
Another possibility, setting the OriginalTitle field in DVD profiler. This field is used as an alternate folder name for matching. So when we try and import DVD profiler information it tries to exactly match the Title or Original Title. This allows you to have characters like ":" in your title that show up in SageMC, but have your folder names be something different. With the offline DVD profiler import it may use the OriginalTitle field to create the empty mpg file. I'd have to look closely at the STV to see if it actually does this.

-Mike
Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryttingm View Post
Another possibility, setting the OriginalTitle field in DVD profiler. This field is used as an alternate folder name for matching. So when we try and import DVD profiler information it tries to exactly match the Title or Original Title. This allows you to have characters like ":" in your title that show up in SageMC, but have your folder names be something different. With the offline DVD profiler import it may use the OriginalTitle field to create the empty mpg file. I'd have to look closely at the STV to see if it actually does this.

-Mike
Anyway to use the sorted title field field so that the videos would drop the "The" and "A" when placing the DVDs in order? Probably requires a change in the STVI but it is such a pain to have forty titles grouped together just because they all begin with "The".

And just wanted to say thanks for your modifed DVDPro2Sage work. It had been such a treat being able to set up a 5 disc set so that it looks and works correctly.

Gerry
Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Anyway to use the sorted title field field so that the videos would drop the "The" and "A" when placing the DVDs in order? Probably requires a change in the STVI but it is such a pain to have forty titles grouped together just because they all begin with "The".

And just wanted to say thanks for your modifed DVDPro2Sage work. It had been such a treat being able to set up a 5 disc set so that it looks and works correctly.

Gerry
Ditto to both of those comments. I'd love to have "the" and "A" moved to the back of the name for sorting purposes.

And also love the modified DVDPro2Sage...
Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Gerry
In filesystem view, the name of the folder is the sorted view. For example, if you have a video folder called Incredibles, but the name in DVD profiler is "The Incredibles". If you set the OriginalTitle to Incredibles, it will find the Incredibles folder on disc and use the name "The Incredibles", but sort it with the "I"'s. Unfortunately this only works in filesystem view and not in genre/group.
-Mike

Edit: I've been considering a change the the DVDPro2Sage class that would allow you the change the title of sub-discs, perhaps using the Side B description field. This would allow you to set any name for a disc you choose and not be stuck with "Title - Disc #". It would be real simple to do. This way for my band of brothers I could name it "Band of Brothers - Curahee", instead of "Band of Brothers - Disc 1". I'd still use the Side A description of "BB1" to make sure it still shows up first in the list in filesystem view.

Last edited by ryttingm; 04-14-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Sage User

This is the work around that I used yesterday. I think the logic could be added to the program. Also this is something that if a new user is starting to use DVD Profiler for the first time and Sage TV would think that something is not working and not know what needs to be changed (it took me more time than it should have because of this issue).

Thanks, Andrew

Quote:
I've always just changed the title in DVD Profiler to ger rid of any illegal characters so that : became a -.

Gerry