SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-01-2008, 07:04 AM

Java error: java.lang.NullPointerException

Hi,

I just decided to try the trial of SageTV and I can't get it to start. When I try to start the program in gets to the point of "SageTV core is initializing" and then a Java error appears:

Code:
An exception occurred in Java:

java.lang.NullPointerException
I've re-installed Java to the latest version twice and re-installed SageTV as well, does exactly the same thing.

I've tried google searching the issue and having a look round the forums but didn't find anything. Anyone know what the problem is?

BTW, I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit on an Athlon64 3400+ with 1GB RAM and a GeForce 6800GT. The TV tuner is a USB MSI DIGIVOX mini II. I don't kow if that is a compatible tuner or not but that was the whole point of using the trial! I have the feeling the error is not related to the card though.

Thanks,

Neil.

Last edited by neil.prasad; 05-01-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Sage

Please submit a bug report here: http://sagetv.com/bugs.html

We'd like to get more information from you on why this is occuring.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Thanks. I've done that and look forward to some ongoing support.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Same Issue

Let me know what they find for you. Because I am having the same issue.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm having this issue as well. I'm using Windows 7 34 bit.

Also, recently I updated java without completely closing sage, and as a result my wiz.bin was corrupted and I needed to roll back to an earlier version.

After the roll back, sage was working fine for a few days, and now I get a java.lang.nullpointerexception error whenever I try to launch sage.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Man, I should never update java...
Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Sage User

I just started having this issue on all of my clients this past week. I even had the error after reinstalling windows and applying all windows updates. I did not update Java so my theory is the issue is somewhere in Windows Update. I just did another fresh install and I am turning off all updates. Hopefully this will work. I would hate to have 2 unusable clients.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:42 AM

Hey did anyone figure out why this message was appearing or can they point me in the direction of a thread that looks at Land Insurance more in depth if there is one?

Last edited by sausages; 02-06-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausages View Post
Hey did anyone figure out why this message was appearing or can they point me in the direction of a thread that looks at it more in depth if there is one?
My best guess is that it is an issue with a recent windows update. On the last client i fixed, I reinstalled windows and forgot to turn off automatic updating. I let it sit for some time and when I came back, I installed Sage and boom! I got this stupid Java error again. There are too many updates to figure out which one is causing the issue but i could probably narrow it down to September since that was the last time i updated before November when my issue started. The reason I did the update was because Sage was going to a black screen when i would wake the computer from sleep using an MCE remote. I finally have a client working again but the UI is VERY laggy on a C2D 6550 that never really had any issues until now.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

@ sausages & kuzerman

My best guess would be that the New Java 7 update isn't capatible.

I seen references that the Java 7 update doesn't play well with Sage.

BTW.. check the dates of the posts.