SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Sage User

Resolved: AC3 Audio/sound Dropouts (C-Media)

I've been trying to resolve my audio dropouts when watching DVDs with Dolby Digital or DTS soundtracks - I'd see my receiver "blip" as if the signal was lost for a brief moment. It drove me mad!

The soundcard I've been using is a cheapy Dynex 7.1 - not very sophisticated, but it supported SPDIF passthrough; I've updated the drivers and fiddled with AC3 Filter to now end, but my problem still persisted.

I stumbled across this project: http://code.google.com/p/cmediadrivers/ where dogber1 wrote his own WDM Drivers for C-Media 8738/8768 based soundcards to support bit perfect playback. Apparently, even though the standard C-Media driver that came with my card supports passthrough, it was still doing some processing on the signal I installed the drivers and suddenly my dropouts no longer are happening!

So, if anyone else is having this problem, give the drivers a try - if you use your computer for other activities (i.e. playing games), these may not be the drivers for you, but if you have a dedicated htpc it may fix your problem!
Old 05-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Sage Expert

Great find. I have onboard sound on my Dell XPS 420. Do you know how I can tell if the onboard sound uses the c-media chip? The device manager under Windows Vista says the soundcard is "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC" but it doesn't give much more than that.
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 05-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Sage User

Not sure if the Sigmatel uses C-Media chips. In XP, the device manager listed CMedia under the "Sound, Video and Game Controller"

In Vista, my XPS M1530 lists "Sigmatel High Definition Codec" - so I'm not exactly sure if they're the same chipset.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Sage User

I believe the "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC" uses a STAC chipset a 922x

http://www.sigmatel.com/products/pca.../stac9220.aspx

Depending on your system, this utility may be able to provide you a more detailed description on the hardware in you computer:
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html