SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:59 PM

WinTV-HVR 1600 SageTV- no analog signal

I have been wrestling with my brand new Hauppauge DVR 1600 for a few days now. I've scoured the message board and can't seem to find any answers. I'm hoping someone can help.

Basically, I cannot get any signal from my analog TV tuner into SageTV. It does work with the WinTV application that came with the card, albeit the video is jerky- it's only using up approx 30% of the CPU. I had an old version of SageTV (version 5) and that did take the signal from this card, however it was using software encoding. I've downloaded the newest version of SageTV (6.3.10.166). I've also downloaded the latest drivers from Hauppauge. This new version of SageTV runs me through the full setup. When I get to the video source setup, I choose RF channel 3 (I'm using a coaxial cable input- this is works in WinTV). The video preview gives me a blank white screen. I've gone through the preview and set the source up manually but no video or audio plays when I go to Live TV. Just a blank white screen.

My Specs:
Athlon XP 1.8 mhz
WinXP Pro Service Pack 3
Java Version 1.6.0_05

Am I missing something? I haven't even attempted digital- I thought analog would be simple.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I choose RF channel 3 (I'm using a coaxial cable input- this is works in WinTV). The video preview gives me a blank white screen.
When adding Analog NTSC TV Tuner does SageTV show you the tuner preview and can you change channels and pick up anything?

And I'm a little confused, so please clarify for me: Are you
A) trying to tune Analog TV channels 2-69 (the ones going away in N. America next February); or
B) trying to tune only Channel 3 and connect it to an Ch 3 RF modulated device like a VCR, DVD player or Cable-STB?

The reason I'm asking is you mentioned choosing "RF channel 3", and the only reason for doing that is if you were going with option B.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the reply- yes, I have Dish Network (I'm in America) and am trying to tune to channel 3 so I can watch the video output from my rf receiver. I have that going through a VCR. I'm quite certain that this setup works since I can watch video through WinTV. I purchased the HVR 1600 more as an investment for the future in the case that I some day get digital cable and want to use QAM. So I am using option B.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I see the tuner preview and can cycle through the tuner channels but the output is always a white screen with no audio. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 AM

By the way, just testing things out- I connected a composite cable between the tuner card and my VCR- again, I can get video/audio in WinTV but the same white screen in SageTV. This is very weird.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Sage Expert

When possible you'd be much better off using an S-video or Composite-IN connection, then choose that setting in the SageTV setup. RF CH-3 is possibly the worst connection type for watchable video.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:58 PM

But I have tried composite in. Still nothing. SageTV does not work with ANY video/audio signal that I have used as input.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Sage Expert

Video drivers can wreck havoc with a person's sanity. Try it this way:

Option A
Connect a 'Composite' Video cable from your Dish-box to the Capture card Video-IN
Reboot the PC
Open SageTV and select 'Composite'
Does the preview screen display video?

Option B
Exit SageTV
Uninstall the Capture Card drivers
Run the 'CLEAR' application to clean the registry
REBOOT the PC
Download the latest version of the Capture Card Drivers
Install and test with the WinTV app, then exit the app
Open SageTV and setup using the Capture Card Tuner, selecting 'Composite'
Does the preview screen display video?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Sage Expert

I forgot to add that you may need to

Open SageTV
Setup Video Sources
-select the tuner-
Select: Remove Source
Select: Finish Source Setup
Exit SageTV

Open SageTV
Setup
Setup Video Sources
Select: Add New Source
Select the Analog or Video-In device
Choose: Composite OR S-Video (depending on cabling type)
Verify that Video/Audio is present in preview
Select: Device Input to Use <device>
... complete setup wizard steps

Last edited by Conejo; 07-04-2008 at 01:49 PM.