SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Sage Icon

There's an FM Radio STVi for Sage *IF* you have a supported tuner w/ FM input. I currently have 4. Haven't tried it on the 1800 yet, but the 350, 500, and USB2 have all worked with it.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinla View Post
Perhaps someone could confirm this: There is no FM radio in SageTV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
No there isn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda View Post
There's an FM Radio STVi for Sage *IF* you have a supported tuner w/ FM input. I currently have 4. Haven't tried it on the 1800 yet, but the 350, 500, and USB2 have all worked with it.
oops. Your right - the FM Radio Plugin is here - haven't tried it yet, but I'll put it on my to-do list
Old 07-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was a long-time MCE user until VMC put a very bad taste in my mouth. That's when I jumped ship for SageTV. With a WHS-based server and 2 x HD extenders, the WAF is very high!
I'll admit that I was hesitant about the lack of a glossy front-end, but honestly, it came down to being able to do the things I wanted to do with my HTPC without begging Bill for the privilege. The HD100 extenders are the bomb - no noise, simple, small and they just plain work. The WHS version of Sage also lets me consolidate my servers into one, nice, neat package.
Capture: 1 x HDHR (Both tuning QAM); 1 x HD-PVR C2 (Component to Moto DCH-3200 - Channel change via Firewire);
Extenders: 2 x STX-HD100; 1 x HD-300 (Panny G20 50" Plasma, Sony 32" LCD, Sammy 26 " LCD)
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Sage User

I know SageTV Server won't coexist with XP MCE without disabling the ehome services, but what about the client? I would like to make the transition as seamless as possible on the living room tv. After I get everything set up, customized, and running smoothly on my media server with its own tuners, can I then fire up the client on the HTPC in the living room without "breaking" MCE first? If there are some quirks that need to be ironed out, I would need to be able to fall back to MCE in an instant to preserve WAF. Otherwise I will be pressured to abandon the project and just not mess with what isn't broken.

Of course MCE is starting to appear broken now that one of her scheduled recordings was canceled due to copyright restrictions.

Ian
Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Depends on the remote control you'll intend to use with SageTV. You may need to set up a 3rd party remote manager if you want to use the MCE remote.

B
Old 08-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Sage User

Can I setup the client on another machine such as my laptop, get it configured and customized, and then simply copy the Sage folder over to the HTPC and have it run? Assuming also that I used the same IR receiver on both computers.

Ian
Old 08-08-2008, 02:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Probably, but I would also install the client on the other machine first, jic.

B
Old 08-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Sage Icon

Read this: http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/08/08...ng-in-media-c/

WOW! Seems like M$ is trying to alienate.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJohnson View Post
Can I setup the client on another machine such as my laptop, get it configured and customized, and then simply copy the Sage folder over to the HTPC and have it run? Assuming also that I used the same IR receiver on both computers.

Ian
I have done this numerous times, but bcjenkins is right, you need to install sage on the HTPC and then just swap the entire folder out. This is assuming both machines are running the same OS and you have the same decoders installed.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Sage User

Here are the young men

I can imagine that a lot of us former VMC users are coming. I have posted previously about my distaste for the Sage UI options being what has stopped me switching. But given the very poisionous atmosphere surrounding VMC it seems as though some would make a switch to a command line interface just to spite Microsoft. I have never seen a poorer development effort than Fiji. 2 years of development to support a few more broadcast types. All the while promising DirecTV and H264, and even troting out new hardware (HDPC20) in Feb. Now we know the truth. Microsoft didn't buy TGB to converse with the community, they bought it to quell the distatste over the Fiji Eff-Up. To actually admit that features were withheld, not because they weren't ready, but rather to make Windows 7 more attractive is quite a big eff you to your clients. We won't see DirecTv and H264 now until 2010 (WIndows 7 will be delayed at least this long). The DirecTV alliance was announced in 2006! 4 years without a major update to VMC. I'm glad to see Microsoft is enthusiastic about supporting its customers. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

All of that to say, there are lots of us coming. I'll try not to be too obnoxious while I'm here.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 AM
SageTVaholic

If you're considering switching over from VMC, check out Ghostlobster's excellent guide (the entire thread is pretty helpful too). And don't let the default UI scare you off, you can get a pretty decent looking UI with some of the custom stuff (explained in the guide linked to above).

Welcome to the SageTV community - you'll be much happier here
Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Welcome to the SageTV community - you'll be much happier here

I appreciate that. I really want to make Sage work.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhoudt View Post
I appreciate that. I really want to make Sage work.
You have no idea how well Sage will work for you. Sagetv is like a Pandora's box, once you open it you can never close it. I have been with Sage for at least 4 years. Initially, I was also hesitant with the native UI, and how complicated it looked but with some time and effort, I couldnt be happier. The HD extender coupled with frequent updates of the software and new features provides endless tinkering. It has excellent WAF factor and it truly is a hobby. One of the advantages of Sage is that it can be plug and play (minimal effort of approx 2-3 hours learning) or you can go into the software customize it anyway you want and add several AMAZING plugins/STV/STVI that provides unlimited capabilities.

Interestingly, I'm not fond of VMC, I use SageMC and find it to be excellent. It may not be as "glossy" as VMC but I think it is easy and intuitive and looks polished. I agree that the default UI is not very appealing but it does provide the framework for other STV and UI's to easily be built on top. Certainly a refresh of SageMC should be considered but my personal preference is more of an apple/mainlobby sort of appearance than VMC. In terms of function, I think VMC is FAR behind.

Good luck and you will always find a helping hand on Sage forums.