SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Any way to move strored DVDs and retain metadata?

In the faq here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...04&postcount=3, it says you can move recordings and imported media using the advanced_video_file_recovery property but that it doesn't work for DVDs. I'm upgrading to 1TB drives and trying to consolidate my DVDs onto this new drive. All the DVDs have metadata imported from IMDB (via SageMC). Is there anyway to retain the metadata for DVDs or must I refresh the metadata for each one?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Kind of depends on how it was added in the first place. If they were added correctly (with the STV creating a new ID for each file) then Sage should hold onto that data.

But even if not, I think that so long as the files don't disappear for some time, (ie you shutdown Sage, move them, and then start it back up with them in an import directory) it should retain the info.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Kind of depends on how it was added in the first place. If they were added correctly (with the STV creating a new ID for each file) then Sage should hold onto that data.
Well the DVDs were added in the import folder and the metadata was added using the IMDB function in SageMC. I assume that's the "correct" way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
But even if not, I think that so long as the files don't disappear for some time, (ie you shutdown Sage, move them, and then start it back up with them in an import directory) it should retain the info.
I tried this for some of my DVDs and the metadata was lost. I created new import directories in the new location with no files, then closed Sage. I then moved the DVDs to the new location and maintained the old empty directories. I re-opened Sage. The DVDs were there but no metadata. I didn't try the advanced_video_file_recovery property because I didn't know about it until I saw the faq... that said the faq says it won't work for DVDs anyway.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by appelm View Post
Well the DVDs were added in the import folder and the metadata was added using the IMDB function in SageMC. I assume that's the "correct" way?
Well as far as the UI goes sure, but I don't know how SageMC handles it behind the scenes. Sage made a change in how it handles "user-added" metadata a while ago, that it could purge it without warning if using the Sage-generated ID.

Quote:
I tried this for some of my DVDs and the metadata was lost. I created new import directories in the new location with no files, then closed Sage. I then moved the DVDs to the new location and maintained the old empty directories. I re-opened Sage. The DVDs were there but no metadata. I didn't try the advanced_video_file_recovery property because I didn't know about it until I saw the faq... that said the faq says it won't work for DVDs anyway.
Must not work then. Might want to post in the SageMC subforum about how it's adding the metadata...