SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Sage User

What is the process for importing media from PCs on network?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. In that case just point me to the appropriate thread.

I am trying to import media from a QNAP NAS drive on my network. Usually from my Windows boxes on the network I can just do \\qnap01\folder.... and then I am prompted for username and PW to access the folders.

How should I do this from Sage TV? The box running Sage TV is a Win2k box and it already mounts those shared folders during startup. So after boot up, I can access those folders fine from the Windows explorer. The username/pw are not the same as the ones I use for this Windows box.

I remember when I try to access the shared folder using \\qnap01\folder from Sage TV I kept getting error where it says it wants to create new folders and then it fails. I do not remember if it was prompting me for username password. I have not tried this recently. So I don't remember exactly the sequence of events.

Probably not doing something right. Would apprciate if somebody can describe the sequence of steps for doing this.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
SageTVaholic

How you do it will depend on whether you run Sage as a service or as a foreground app. If you run it as a foreground app, then you can use whatever mapped drive letters you've already set up as import paths in Sage, and it should work.

If you run Sage as a service (or plan to in the future), then you can't use mapped drive letters. In that case you should enter the UNC paths (\\qnap01\folder or whatever) as import directories in Sage, and configure the Sage service to log in as a user with permission to access those paths. There's no provision for entering alternate credentials on a per-share basis (like you can do with mapped drives), so you have to make sure your login username has all the necessary permissions to access all the import shares.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Sage User

Hmm, I currently run it as a service and my host PC does not have any user account setup with the same credentials as those needed to transparently access the mapped drive. I usually explicitly type in user/password to the mapped folder during a boot. This drive is shared across multiple machines which have user accounts with same user name, but different passwords. But will try both the approaches.

thanks much
d

Last edited by sashimi; 08-05-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Sage User

Just wanted to follow up on this. I ended up creating a user on the PC with credentials that match that of the NAS store and launched SageTV server with those credentials. Seems to be working!

thanks