SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Sage User

HD-PVR and Sage service after sleep

I'm running SageTV headless on my server with only one HD-PVR at the moment and an HD extender. Under normal circumstances, everything works fine, but when the server goes to sleep, Sage and the HD-PVR get all funky about 50% of the time. First, the encoder still appears in the sources menu and all channels are still on the guide, but Sage replies that no encoder can tune the selected channel for all of them. Removing/reinstalling the encoder on the sources menu doesn't do anything. To get things working again, I have to kill the Sage service, turn the HD-PVR off/on, and restart the service to get things working again.

I've searched endlessly for this, but I'm just not seeing anyone else with this particular problem. The HD-PVR doesn't crash or overheat or anything else bad, unless the server goes to sleep at some point. Obviously, the easy answer is to keep the server awake all the time, but for the very few hours of TV we watch per day, that seems like overkill - I ought to be able to have it sleep when we're at work or at night (and I could with the PVR-150 I used to have in there). I assume that sometime simple is going wrong here and I'm just not seeing it, so any advice for things to try would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Sage Icon

Well I for one would consider disabling sleep altogether but I'm guessing you wouldn't be will to do that. So in the device manager make sure your computer does not kill power to your USB devices when it goes to sleep.

Oh man is this on Vista? If so you should use standby rather then sleep mode, in vista sleep should write a snapshot to disk and basically reboot from that when you need it. This is not desirable in your case for several reasons and you are seeing one now. First you should disable hybernation possibly then it will be like XPs standby.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Sage User

I'm running on XP. It's going to S3 standby, not hibernating. I'll take a look at the USB power in sleep mode. I didn't know there was such an option. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Sage User

OK, I unchecked the 'allow XP to turn off' option on all of the USB ports. No difference. Anyone else have an idea? Also, I should probably add that I'm running 8.4.7 RC and the extender is on firmware 812.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Sage Expert

I have a similar issue that i just noticed last night/this morning. Mind you, i just recently got my set up working. I have an MCE remote that is set up to go to S3 standby, and I did that in order to test if Sage was set up properly to wake up from sleep and record, then go back to sleep... Well i pushed the standby button with the HD-PVR in LiveTV (bad idea, cause I read somewhere there was a driver bug with doing that). Anyway when the computer woke up from sleep it hung and rebooted by itself. No big deal since everything worked. But last night before going to bed I did the same thing except I stopped LiveTV first. I turned it on this morning to make sure everything was still working since today is the first day since I disabled MCE and I wanted the WAF to be good. Well, it came up to the last screen it was on, which was the guide, but Sage was locked up. Luckily I still had my keyboard plugged in so I did and ALT-F4 to exit and restarted and everything was fine. I wonder what the issue is? i know my USB devices are powered because I use the MCE USB IR receiver to turn it on from standby.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
I have a similar issue that i just noticed last night/this morning. Mind you, i just recently got my set up working. I have an MCE remote that is set up to go to S3 standby, and I did that in order to test if Sage was set up properly to wake up from sleep and record, then go back to sleep... Well i pushed the standby button with the HD-PVR in LiveTV (bad idea, cause I read somewhere there was a driver bug with doing that). Anyway when the computer woke up from sleep it hung and rebooted by itself. No big deal since everything worked. But last night before going to bed I did the same thing except I stopped LiveTV first. I turned it on this morning to make sure everything was still working since today is the first day since I disabled MCE and I wanted the WAF to be good. Well, it came up to the last screen it was on, which was the guide, but Sage was locked up. Luckily I still had my keyboard plugged in so I did and ALT-F4 to exit and restarted and everything was fine. I wonder what the issue is? i know my USB devices are powered because I use the MCE USB IR receiver to turn it on from standby.
Yeah, I don't think it's a USB power thing. I think that the SageTV server isn't seeing the HDPVR when it wakes up. Whether this is a problem with SageTV or with the (very not updated) HDPVR drivers, I don't know. My WAF is going downhill pretty quickly.