SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Trial version of Sage TV for WHS and Client at the same time?

Hello,
I'm interested in getting Sage TV for my WHS but I was wanting to use the trial on my WHS. If I do that, I would need to run the client version on a desktop PC to test it out. Can I have the trial versions of both at the same time to test this setup?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
Hello,
I'm interested in getting Sage TV for my WHS but I was wanting to use the trial on my WHS. If I do that, I would need to run the client version on a desktop PC to test it out. Can I have the trial versions of both at the same time to test this setup?

Thanks,
Chuck
I was able to test it on my server and two desktops without an issue.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Serra,
Thanks for that info. Good to know. Do you have WHS or a differnet type of server? If you have WHS, how do you set up things like SageMC and other apps when you have it on WHS. Isn't the WHS service just an add in and not able to view from the server?

Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra View Post
I was able to test it on my server and two desktops without an issue.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

I installed it on a HTPC, so using the term "server" loosely. Then I used the HTPC to server Sage to several clients.

I didn't install SageMC. My big question in the trial period was with scheduling and and how well capture worked. Coming from the ReplayTV world, I was most interested in seeing if an HTPC would be a good replacement. What sold it for me was the HD100s. That allowed me to use a box instead of an HTPC as a client for my TVs.

I did test until a few days before the trial expired, then I purchased Sage and two clients, then later two hd100s. I've since turned off my ReplayTV.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the clarification. I will probably try to install it on the WHS and then use the client trial to put it on my Vista Home Premium PC for the client side of things. Then setup my HD Homerun to work with the WHS to do the recording. I would like to know how to set up SageMC to work on this set up before I try so I can maximize the trial period.

Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra View Post
I installed it on a HTPC, so using the term "server" loosely. Then I used the HTPC to server Sage to several clients.

I didn't install SageMC. My big question in the trial period was with scheduling and and how well capture worked. Coming from the ReplayTV world, I was most interested in seeing if an HTPC would be a good replacement. What sold it for me was the HD100s. That allowed me to use a box instead of an HTPC as a client for my TVs.

I did test until a few days before the trial expired, then I purchased Sage and two clients, then later two hd100s. I've since turned off my ReplayTV.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

WHS supports Remote Desktop, right? Use that to run any third-party installation scripts and/or configure the server-side SageTV UI.

For specific instructions on setting up SageMC, see the SageMC section of the forum.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the info. It does supprot remote desktop. I guess I was curious how to set it up since the addin for WHS didn't look like it could change anything. I did ask this on the SageMC section.

Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
WHS supports Remote Desktop, right? Use that to run any third-party installation scripts and/or configure the server-side SageTV UI.

For specific instructions on setting up SageMC, see the SageMC section of the forum.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Sage User

I ran the trial of the WHS version and 3 different trial clients and it worked fine. All I configured on the server was the MultiDCTTuner plugin for serial control of my settop boxes. Everything else is configured through one of the clients.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the info. I'm about ready to try my trial with WHS as the server, my Vista desktop as the client and a HDHomerun as the tuners.

Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehaney View Post
I ran the trial of the WHS version and 3 different trial clients and it worked fine. All I configured on the server was the MultiDCTTuner plugin for serial control of my settop boxes. Everything else is configured through one of the clients.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Another question about the install of the WHS version. I notice that it is an .msi file. Normally in WHS, those go in the add in folder. Do I run it there to get both the add in as well as the main program, or do I have to run the .msi file to get the add in and run the normal setup file on my WHS to get the main program. I guess I was needing to know if I need to install just the .msi file or both the .msi file as well as the .exe file for the normal install.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just the msi file, in the WHS console.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the quick reply. It probably just saved me some headaches.
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaron1234 View Post
Just the msi file, in the WHS console.