SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

Min hardware for Sage Server ONLY....?

I'm wondering what the general consensus is regarding bare minimum hardware requirements for use as a Sage server only.
I plan to playback on Sage clients ONLY. (well, a MVP also, when supported)

I plan on using a 500mhz Celeron in the server box with 2 Hauppauge 250's connected to DirectTV recievers.

For an OS, I'm going to see about making Windows XP-Embedded so there should be little in the way of un-necessary services, etc to bog the machine down.

What do you guys think? Will a Celeron be enough?

-PGPfan
Old 02-13-2004, 10:53 PM
SageTVaholic

XP Embedded is the only questionable thing there, I've actually thought about giving that a try myself. A Celeron is plenty if you aren't playing video back.

Be sure to let us know know how the XP Embedded goes, I get it free through school so I'm definitely interested.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:54 PM
SageTVaholic

The one thing I worry about is sluggishness in responding to the clients. I was using a P3 400MHz w/128MB RAM w/two tuners for a while as a server. This was on Win2k server with non-essential services disabled. SageTV version 2.0.10. The client machine I tested with (which had plenty of horsepower) was a little sluggish in navigating the guide screen. I'm not sure whether that was a function of problems in 2.0.10 or whether it had something to do with the server being slow to respond.

The SageTV instance on the server was dog-slow navigating the guide, but that won't concern you.

Utlimately, my best guess is the 128MB on Win2k server was pushing it. I was definitely in the land of virtual memory. I think that if you have 256MB or more of RAM you will probably be fine.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Yes, I think a larger amount of memory is a big help -- my p2-400 has 388MB & it certainly has better response than when it had less. My much faster client doesn't seem to have any slowness when navigating any screens.... of course, I am comparing it to the response on the slower system, so who know how it would respond if the server were faster!

The only problem I can see on my slow server is that sometimes it takes a few seconds when I bring up the OSD during playback -- if the OSD hasn't been used for a while, it it seems to get swapped out of memory.

- Andy
Old 02-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've spec'd out some hi powered hardware for my own server, but bought the PVR250 to play with on my old system. I was shocked, because it is VERY responsive recording and playing one stream simultaneously. I have a 467mhz/576MB system, and I think the memory is key. (I'm running 3 p2p programs too at the same time as Sage.)

I'm now even to the point where I'm thinking this system has the parts to be my server (need a silent HTCP case, ultimately), and just buy a new replacement computer for my desktop. I'm even going to try to get my current 3dfx Voodoo card to do the TV output next, to push my luck. Who knows....?

System specs currently running:
Windows 2K has been running 2days 13hrs 28mins
Memory Usage: 330/576MB (57.29%)
Processor: 1-Intel P2 Celeron, 467MHz, 128KB (9% Load)
HDD Free Space:
(C: 2170MB/9.77GB)
(D: 10749MB/102.02GB)
(E: 847MB/167.64GB)
(F: 34MB/167.64GB)
(G: 7688MB/9.77GB)
(H: 83352MB/105.27GB)
(J: Removable)
(K: CDROM)
Old 02-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

It seems as though there is a consensus that the CPU power for the 500mhz Celeron is ok, but I'd need to run as much ram as possible right?

Stanger89,
I do not think that XPe will pose any real problems. It is supprisingly easy to use and make OS images with. For the most part, Sage should be able to load onto, and run from XPe as is but ultimately I'm going to try to make the Sun Java and Sage into a 'component' of XPe to see how it works.

If you can get it for free through school, I'd get it and try it out. It is pretty cool messing with all the things you can do with it, not to mention making the 'ultimate' HTPC.

-PGPfan