SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-18-2004, 09:39 AM

Completely lost in regards on how to hook this up..

I should have cut and paste this before sending in this message to the help desk, but maybe you forum guys can help me out quicker.

What will seem simple to you guys has got my head swarming, ofcourse Ive always been know to make simple things complicated.

I currently have a Sony DTV receiver hooked to my VCR and then to my TV all via coax.

Ive added an HTPC to my living room and now wish to integrate this into everything and use it for 2 purposes.

1. Watching 20-20min sports clips off the internet on my TV screen

2. recording sports shows off DTV for watching later

Nothing I watch, subscribe to or own is high def. so this is SD only.

Here is what I "assume" is right and please correct me and smack me if Im wrong.

I will disconnect all cables and then reconnect them in the following order.

Coax from dish to DTV box
Audio and video cables from DTV box to the PC
Audio out from PC via sound card to my audio system
Video out via svideo on my video card to my TV
DB9-DB9 serial cable from my Sony DTV box to my PC serial port

Somehow what this will allow me to do is use the SageTV remote to tell the software to change channels and it will then (via serial cable) tell the DTV box to change channels, and this should be the answer? Am I even remotely close here?

Also Ive heard a rumour that SageTV only supports 100channels via the serial cable and if I want to get every channel that my DTV box has I have to use an expensive USB-UIRT device? Please advise and thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

Last edited by tmarchant; 02-18-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Your connection strategy looks good. I don't have a serial-controllable set top box so I can't speak for certain, but that rumor sounds fishy to me.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Sage Icon

Re: Completely lost in regards on how to hook this up..

Quote:
Originally posted by tmarchant
I should have cut and paste this before sending in this message to the help desk, but maybe you forum guys can help me out quicker.

What will seem simple to you guys has got my head swarming, ofcourse Ive always been know to make simple things complicated.

I currently have a Sony DTV receiver hooked to my VCR and then to my TV all via coax.

Ive added an HTPC to my living room and now wish to integrate this into everything and use it for 2 purposes.

1. Watching 20-20min sports clips off the internet on my TV screen

2. recording sports shows off DTV for watching later

Nothing I watch, subscribe to or own is high def. so this is SD only.

Here is what I "assume" is right and please correct me and smack me if Im wrong.

I will disconnect all cables and then reconnect them in the following order.

Coax from dish to DTV box
Audio and video cables from DTV box to the PC
Audio out from PC via sound card to my audio system
Video out via svideo on my video card to my TV
DB9-DB9 serial cable from my Sony DTV box to my PC serial port

Somehow what this will allow me to do is use the SageTV remote to tell the software to change channels and it will then (via serial cable) tell the DTV box to change channels, and this should be the answer? Am I even remotely close here?

Also Ive heard a rumour that SageTV only supports 100channels via the serial cable and if I want to get every channel that my DTV box has I have to use an expensive USB-UIRT device? Please advise and thanks in advance for any help.

Tim
Yes you are correct on the cabling. No there is no limit to how many channels you can control via serial cable. It will work with all the channels you receive.

Calro
Old 02-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Looks good as long as the Sony box really has a DB-9. My Sony boxes don't have the Low Speed data ports. They have the Wide Band ports which are DB-15 like on a joystick cable. Works fine though with the cables I made.

Randy