SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Edited Video Time error

I think Bob Phoenix's plugin to edit files via VideoRdo does this, but ... I have found the plugin, while AWESOME, takes longer for me to edit the file than doing it directly in VideoRedo.

However, my problem is, after I have edited it to remove the commericals and replaced it, the length of time for the movie is now shorter, but Sage does not pick up on that. It reports the time as the original movie length adn then goes along at a rate of 1-3 seconds passing for every actual one second.

Is there any quick fix for this that someone could point me to so as to reset the time in Sage to the acutal new edited length?

I just now thought of this, can Bob's plugin fix this for me with no editing done to the file? I will go try, but in case not and someone feels like helping a guy out with a few key strokes...

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2008, 03:57 AM
Sage Expert

Sage has done this for me since I started using VideoReDo several years ago. I'd really like an answer also.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 11-14-2008, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

I've submitted multiple bugs on this, but it would help if you did too.

edit: So here's the are the actual causes of the bug...

#1) Sage auto-detects file metadata upon creation, stores it in its database, and never revisits it. Wondering what the root cause of the 00:00 length video bug in the Imported Videos? This is it.

#2) Then on the complete opposite side of the spectrum is the one thing that Sage *doesn't* blindly cling to its meta-data for: the duration of a recording. Sage handles this in a very interesting way. When you start recording a show it checks the EPG to see how long the show is supposed to be, stores this in metadata, and creates the timebar for that entire duration. Then when your show begins recording it determines where the show segments fit into the time bar by checking the date created and date modified file attributes. For instance if your show started 7:00pm the date created attribute will be 7:00pm and as the show continues to record the date modified attribute will continue to update until the show is done recording. So if when your file is done recording it has date created as 7:00pm and date modified as 7:15pm so Sage does a little fancy math and determines that this recording is 15 minutes long and places it in the timeline from 7:00pm to 7:15pm while red-ing out 7:16-7:30 as unrecorded. Its actually a pretty crafty method to handle the case when you get a show broken up into multiple videos for one reason or another.

But here's the problem, if you do anything to that recording that modifies the date modified attribute (VRD stream fix, compress, cut, windows bug, whatever) then SageTV will do one of two things. Sometimes Sage will still try to use the date created/modified attribute to determine the length of the recording and think the show is thousands of hours long. Other times Sage will notice the changes, decide that it can no longer use the date modified/created attributes but still not recheck the duration of the show and try and cram it into its original time line even though it has a different length. This was supposed to be fixed in the latest version but its still not working reliably.

The way Bob handles this is to manually manipulate Sage's database to tell it the new duration. If you ask me that's a little bit like your ATM asking you to manually update your account balance every time you make a withdrawal. I'm not nearly as accommodating in my plug-in so I refuse do anything beyond making sure the file has the same name.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 11-14-2008 at 01:22 PM.