SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Channel Changing and "Prefix"

Can someone tell me how to send an "ENTER" command before any channel changes to my STB?

My Bell receiver will sometimes go into sleep mode, even though I have the system standby disabled... when it receives its nightly update it powers off.

This is a problem when scheduling a recording at night because the channel changes do not take effect because the receiver is "OFF". The STB requires user intervention to a point either to turn the receiver back on, or simplyh press "SELECT" or "ENTER" to wake it up.

If it were possible to send this "ENTER" or "SELECT" command to my Bell receiver, wait a second or two, then send the channels, this should work perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas?

FYI - I am using the Hauppauge PVR 150 IR Blaster with firefly...

Last edited by can3gxw; 11-14-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, you can certainly do that.

Here's the way I know how to do it.

1) Add the command code for Enter or Select to your IR file. Give it a one letter name, such as E or S.

2) Prefix all your physical channel numbers with that letter, e.g. channel 6 becomes channel E6. You still enter channel 6 to change channels, but Sage will send E6 to your stb (i.e., Enter + 6).

I wrote a post about this a while ago. Here's the link: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30002.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Last edited by steven017; 11-14-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Can3gxw this is off topic from your post but I see you are using an hauppauge 150. How or what ir blaster are you using with it to control you satellite box? I posted previously today but no responses just thought i would check with you.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

My 150 came with its own IR Blaster... that's one of the things I "demanded" from it a few years ago when I was looking to buy.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply. Does the IR blaster plug into the card itself and then you attach the other end to the satellite box? or is there another, external, transmitter that comes with the 150?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think you can buy the 150 with or without the IR blaster. The blaster itself plugs straight into the card, and the other end sticks to the front of the STB.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Steven - I am still having problems trying to get this figured out - do you know right off where the config is for the Hauppauge IR blaster?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi,
Try looking in this directory: C:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes\USB-UIRT Transceiver.

If it's not there, I'll look in my system.

UPDATE:
OK, so I went downstairs to check out my server and refresh my memory. The directory above is where you will find your .ir file(s). In my case, I created a new .ir file for my STB codes and named it Skyperfect1.ir. Basically, these are just text files, but they have a particular format. I've attached mine below as an example (renamed as .txt).

Hope it helps.

Steven
Attached Files
File Type: txt Skyperfect1.txt (10.5 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by steven017; 11-25-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the info... unfortunately, I don't have any .ir files that will do me any good. I am not using the USB-UIRT so I don't have that file. I have that folder, but not an "ir" file. I am using the Hauppauge blaster for my Bell Expressvu (Bell TV) satellite receiver - I have a Hauppauge IR Blaster folder in Sage\Common, but no ir files there...

Is there a place that I can download one? Long shot, I know... LOL

I'm looking too to replace that with a USB-UIRT, so maybe all these "problems" will go away... in the meantime, I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, it looks like it's not going to work. SageTV uses the settings from the Hauppauge configuration for the PVR-150 blaster. Since I don't have one of those, I did some searching. It's looking like it's not possible to customize what it sends, whereas the USB-UIRT makes this quite easy.

So, even if you did make an .ir file, it wouldn't use the commands, as far as I can tell.

Steven
Old 12-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Steve - Could explain with more detail how exactly you "Add the command code for Enter or Select to your IR file. Give it a one letter name, such as E or S."? I'm using the Irremote.ini IR file and can't figure out how to add a code. Thanks, in advance, for some advice.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Surf2.

Are you using a USB-UIRT? If so, you can do it the way I did. With other blasters, I'm not real sure.

Basically, what I did was learn the remote code for the button I wanted to send. In this case, that would be Enter or Select. There is a tool for this that you can get from the USB-UIRT website. Alternatively, you could use EventGhost to learn the code.

In either case, you then copy that code into your IR file. The name comes before the code. Give your code a name such as E or S, and then save the file. Now, you need to go into Sage and edit your channels. You need to change the Physical Channel Numbers to include the E or S. So, channel 360 become 360S or 360E. When you use your remote, you still enter 360, but Sage will send 360S or 360E (whichever you choose). That's pretty much it. The key to this is that the name must be one letter so that it can be sent as part of the channel number by Sage.

Now, if you don't have an .ir file in the appropriate directory, such as the USB-UIRT directory, don't worry. You can just make one. You can take a look at mine as an example. However, if you're using the Hauppauge blaster, you're most likely out of luck. I don't have one, but I've read that you can't modify it to send different codes. The codes are fixed in the driver.

Here's a link to a thread discussing editing/creation of ir files for the USB-UIRT: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17934.

I hope that's clear enough.

Steven
Old 12-04-2008, 01:31 AM

Thanks Steve! I have the Hauppauge blaster that comes with the 1600 capture card (not USB-UIRT) so I may be out of luck. But I have read that codes can be changed and added. See this thread for example: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ead.php?t=4277.

I know what code the remote uses for the enter command by looking in a file called irremote.ini. I just can't figure out how to change the name of the code to E or S becuase it is already named "OK". I'll keep pecking away at it, but if you have any hints or know for a fact that I can't modify the blaster to send different codes, it would sure save me a lot of time.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi surf2.

Well, if I'm understanding you correctly, it should be easy. Copy & paste the code for OK below all the rest of the codes. Change "OK" to E or S for the copy & pasted code (leave the original alone). Save the file. You're done.

EDIT: Well, now. I think I jumped the gun, and completely misunderstood your post, maybe. You see, I'm referring to the .ir file, and you're referring to the irremote.ini file. So, you see, my method is a bit different. So, it might be possible, but I'm not too sure how you would do it. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

Steve

Last edited by steven017; 12-04-2008 at 03:37 AM.