SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Sage User

6.5.1, HD PVR with Mac?

Can anyone report how this is working for them?

I ran the trial of Sage 6.4.8 for Mac, and discovered there was no support for the HD PVR on Mac. Now my trial has expired, and I can't try 6.5.1.

The HD PVR is the only tuner I have. It's currently working with EyeTV, but I don't like EyeTV, as it won't let me watch live TV from other clients, and additionally, they don't support the IR Blaster that came with the HD PVR.

Anyone that can keep the list updated on progress on the Mac side, would be much appreciated, since I can't run another trial.

I also saw reports in the forums that Mac client playback of HD PVR captures from the Windows server were problematic. What's the status of that under 6.5.1?

Greg
Old 11-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Sage User

No one?

I'm the only one interested in progress on the Mac side?

Bueller...Bueller...
Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Sage User

I can't comment on the Mac server side, but I can confirm problems with my Mac placeshifter client running against my windows Sage server. I'm having significant performance issues where I'm only seeing about 1-2 frames per second. My server is a Quad core that is typically idle and my Mac placeshifter client is a brand new 3GHz iMac. I really should not be having any performance related issues.

One other data point, this is on my home network that is all gig.

Bill
Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Sage Expert

Same thing with r5000 HD files on the Mac Placeshifter. 1-2 frames per second. Fast server / Quad core Intel Mac Placeshifter, wired GigE network. I can play the same files with the latest VLC over the network fine.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ya, same here with HD-PVR files on a Mac Placeshifter... it's closer then before, but no banana.

Also I don't think there are drivers out from anyone for the HD-PVR for OSX, which would make support for Sage Mac Server difficult with that capture device. See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1081590

/jer

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/ SageTV Server Linux V9.1.8.774 - Ubuntu 16.04LTS AMD64
-- 1x HDHomeRun Prime
-- 1x HDHR-DT
-- 1x HD-PVR
2x SageTV HD-300 Media Extenders
1x NVIDIA ShieldTV
Old 11-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply guys. Sounds like I'm still up the creek for the time being.

The 6.5.1 beta release notes mentioned something about limited support for Mac capture, so I figured they were working on it.

EyeTV also has a beta out that supports capture from the HD-PVR on the Mac. I figure if Elgato can do it, others will too. EyeTV doesn't provide for client/server based setups with watching live TV from a client, so it's not what I'm looking for. Sage seems to be, but not if all these Macs sitting around my house won't work with it. Even if I put in a Windows server, it does me no good if playback to the Mac clients isn't functional.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
Thanks for the reply guys. Sounds like I'm still up the creek for the time being.

The 6.5.1 beta release notes mentioned something about limited support for Mac capture, so I figured they were working on it.

EyeTV also has a beta out that supports capture from the HD-PVR on the Mac. I figure if Elgato can do it, others will too. EyeTV doesn't provide for client/server based setups with watching live TV from a client, so it's not what I'm looking for. Sage seems to be, but not if all these Macs sitting around my house won't work with it. Even if I put in a Windows server, it does me no good if playback to the Mac clients isn't functional.
that thread on avr does mention that folk are actively working on it, so perhaps soon.

i would like to know if anyone has had success with the full mac client and hd-pvr files...

/jer

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/ SageTV Server Linux V9.1.8.774 - Ubuntu 16.04LTS AMD64
-- 1x HDHomeRun Prime
-- 1x HDHR-DT
-- 1x HD-PVR
2x SageTV HD-300 Media Extenders
1x NVIDIA ShieldTV
Old 11-22-2008, 02:23 AM
Sage User

OK. I've got the 6.5.2 beta server running in trial mode on a PC. (against usual good judgement) I paid for a Mac client license.

Same problem exists that was in 6.4, in that when watching live TV with the Mac client, only top left portion (perhaps top left 2/3 of picture) is displayed. You don't get the full picture. Otherwise, it looks great.

I will send a note to support. I'm seeing a lack of response to this problem in the forums, so I have no idea where it is on their radar. If I can't play back on Mac clients, at the very least, it's a deal killer for me.

If anyone has any other info on this problem, I'd love to hear about it.