SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Sage User

High WAF tells me to say "Thank you"

Former member of the Church of Tivo. Moved into new house last week and switched to Sage distributed from a server in the basement across the new wired network to the living room. Last night my wife looked at me and said, "I really like this Sage thing."

We have achieved a high WAF!

So, I just wanted to give a quick THANK YOU to all of you out there who have posted info and answered my myriad of (I am sure) basic questions. And for those of you considering an installation, I am what I would call only a mediocre geek with mediocre geek skills and I still made it work (although it took a few days).

Now I just have to get my 2nd HD-PVR working!

Thanks again!

- Miles
Sage Server = HP Pavilion M9250f w/ WHS, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 (K) (2.66GHz), 4GB DDR2 800, ,2 x 500GB SATA 3G 7200RPM (in share), 1 x 1TB WD Green 3G (not in share). 2xHD-PVR hooked up via USB TV Translators recording from 2 DirecTV HD. 2 SageTV HD-100s hooked up via Cat 6 network. SageTV 7.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Glad to hear

I am in the same boat...switch to Sage from VMC / Tivo last year...and the WAF has been 110% all year. The HD100 extenders are great and just work. We use it 8+ hours a day between the kids shows and our shows in a variety of rooms throughout the house!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Sage Icon

Seconded. Came from Tivo myself, and the wife is, for the most part, completely happy. She even brags on the system on occasion (she loves the IMDB plug-in - she always has those "wait, I know that guy, what was he in?" moments, and she loves being able to immediately go figure it out).

In this season of giving thanks, THANKS AGAIN to all of you who answer questions and patiently help guys like me. :goodjob

(On edit, okay, "Thirded". Gibsonpa snuck in before me. )
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Glad to hear...My WAF factor is dropping quickly after being really high since 2003...

All the tuners I try just seem to suck at tuning HD perfect for my area. I got around 1.5 years of OTA good enough with 2 HVR-1600s. Then, all of a sudden I have a lot of multipath issues. So, tried 2-3 antennas, no good, tried HD homerun, even worse for OTA, but gave me hope for QAM. Switched from WOW to comcast, seemed pretty good so I took back the HD Homerun. Now, it is working fairly well except one recording switched stations in the middle and every now and then the audio/video has a small quirk.

What makes me the most angry is the my TV tuner never ever has a problem with tuning HD. Both the HD homerun and HVR-1600 seem to have some degree of problems no matter what the source is...why can't they be as good as the TV...

I think I'm finally back on the road to WAF recovery, but I can tell she is really thinking we should just get Uverse of something that comes with DVRs.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Sage Icon

Your multi path probably came from the stations increasing power as the deadline approaches. You could try attenuators to reduce the overpowering signal.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Did try several different attenuators...would help with some stations, but other stations drop off with them.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoNP View Post
Did try several different attenuators...would help with some stations, but other stations drop off with them.
I hope you can at least stick it out until February and see if things change, before giving up.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

My solution was to switch from WOW to comcast, comcast seems to have much higher signal strength. I also am switching to HD homerun, then hopefully all my issues will be gone...I may try OTA again in march or april, after the switch has been in effect for awhile.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoNP View Post
My solution was to switch from WOW to comcast, comcast seems to have much higher signal strength. I also am switching to HD homerun, then hopefully all my issues will be gone...I may try OTA again in march or april, after the switch has been in effect for awhile.
I switched from the HVR-1600s to the HDHR about 8 months ago and the difference was amazing. Signal reception is WAY better with the HDHR.

But what can you expect considering all the high frequency EMI that's produced inside a PC....an external device is definitely going to have an advantage.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I switched from the HVR-1600s to the HDHR about 8 months ago and the difference was amazing. Signal reception is WAY better with the HDHR.

But what can you expect considering all the high frequency EMI that's produced inside a PC....an external device is definitely going to have an advantage.
Are you referring to OTA or QAM when you say the signal reception is way better? I have a friend having signal issues with QAM; trying to see if OTA would be better for him (he's using the HDHR, and I'm using the HVR-1600 which I swear by for OTA).

He'll also be more relieved when he hears that the answer comes from the founder of SageTV :P
Old 12-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

My 1600's are great for OTA...never used for QAM though.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Sage Expert

The QAM issues could be weak cable signal strength. May need a good amp to fix the problem. Or it could be a bad HDHR.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 12-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Sage

I'm using it for QAM. I still had some signal issues initially with the HDHR; but then I bought a really nice amp (cabletvamps.com I think) and it cleared up almost all the signal problems. (I still have some on occassion; but that's life with cable TV)