SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Sage User

Cablecard support

Dumb question of the day since my answer is probably clear due to my lack of being able to find info on it. That or I'm a bad searcher.

Anyway...

Is there any tuner that works with cable cards that Sage supports? I'm thinking of a switch to Cox.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

No. CableCard only works with pre-configured Vista Media Center computers and then only with Vista Media Center Software.

To get digital HD (encrypted channels) via SageTV you would need to use a Hauppauge HD-PVR.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Sage User

Figured as much. I was looking at the ATI TV Wonder but saw it only listed under OTA Tuners on the requirements page. I have a HD-PVR right now with Dish. It's kind of what I'm trying to avoid and figured I could get more reliable reception using my HDHR for QAM instead of the OTA it is hooked up to now. Oh well.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubell View Post
Figured as much. I was looking at the ATI TV Wonder but saw it only listed under OTA Tuners on the requirements page. I have a HD-PVR right now with Dish. It's kind of what I'm trying to avoid and figured I could get more reliable reception using my HDHR for QAM instead of the OTA it is hooked up to now. Oh well.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you were asking. The HDHR does work for QAM (unencrypted QAM) via your cable but has nothing to do with Cablecard. I use a HDHR now connected to my Time Warner Cable feed and get all the local HD channels as well as a few of the other digital channels, but of course many (most) of the HD channels for me are encrypted with the HDHR so thats why I have a HD-PVR also.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Sage User

Nope, you answered my question.

Basically I have Dish Network hooked up to HD-PVR right now and have the HDHR hooked up to an antenna.

I was thinking of dropping Dish and going to Cox if it could allow me to get rid of the HD-PVR and get the added benefit of switching the HDHR to QAM instead of the antenna.

Since I have to keep the HD-PVR no matter what, I may as well keep Dish and stop messing with it.

Now I just need an extender before my wife "accidentally" breaks the server since my Vista HTPC is being a troublemaker. I knew I should have bought 2 originally!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:11 AM

ok so, I have another question along the same lines.
does the HD-PVR have a cablecard slot?
if not how does it get encrypted HD channels?
my cable company has decided to scramble all the HD channels that are the same as the SD channels I already get(dinks)
they are telling me for my quad tuner DVR I need 4 boxes, and at $20/mo each, I'd REALLY like to avoid that
Old 12-02-2008, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit58105 View Post
ok so, I have another question along the same lines.
does the HD-PVR have a cablecard slot?
No, it doesn't have a tuner even.

Quote:
if not how does it get encrypted HD channels?
By recording them from your STB, yes.

Quote:
my cable company has decided to scramble all the HD channels that are the same as the SD channels I already get(dinks)
they are telling me for my quad tuner DVR I need 4 boxes, and at $20/mo each, I'd REALLY like to avoid that
They're right for a change.