SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Sage User

Multiple Video Sources - Channel Mapping

All-

I got my HDHR working with clear QAM... very exciting.

I also have an HD PVR for DirecTV HD.

Now my question: Where I now have multiple tuners showing a single channel (NBC, ABC, CBS, ESPN) is it possible for my guide to just show the channel once?

My local NBC coming over QAM is channel 5, my DirecTV local NBC comes in channel 13. Ideally I'd like this to only show on one channel so my guide isn't cluttered up with duplicates. Scheduling recordings should be smart enough to know that there are 3 tuners that can be used for these overlaps.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

If you are using the built-in EPG data that SageTV provides via Zap2it, the channels with the same station name sould already be combined on the Program Guide menu. If they aren't, then that means something wasn't mapped correctly in Channel Setup unless one is the regular station & the otehr is the digital version of the station with something like "DT" at the end of the name. And, if you have WNBC and WNBCDT, you really don't want them merged in the guide.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Sage User

Unfortunately the channel numbers provided by DirecTV are different than the channel numbers on the Zap2it website.

DirecTV NBC = 13
QAM NBC = 5

DirecTV FOX = 6
QAM FOX = 7

Also... as expected the ESPN channels are different:

DirecTV ESPN = 73
QAM ESPN = 26

DirecTV ESPN2 = 72
QAM ESPN = 27

Any hope in getting Sage to only show 1 channel number per channel?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

The channel numbers shouldn't matter & you can remap the logical numbers to your liking in Channel Setup.

Are you seeing those channels with those exact names listed multiple times in the Program Guide? If so, then my guess is that only 1 set of them actually maps to the ones where SageTV is getting the EPG data from Zap2it for you. The other ones, if they have any EPG data, are probably getting EPG data from the digital stream & probably only extend a day or so into the future.

Please confirm that the guide really is listing them multiple times & I can suggest a more detailed solution to try.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Sage User

It seems that I've got the DirecTV guide information populating correctly, and I've also got the QAM guide information populating correctly from Zap2it.

It just so happens that they have different channel numbers for the channels they have in common.

So are you saying that if I remap the logical channel number Sage will know that those channels are the same and can be used interchangeably for recordings?

Specifically, I currently have a NBC at channel 5 and channel 13. If I remap the logical channel from 5 to 13, then my guide will not show 5 any more and 13 will have 2 tuner options for viewing?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkboynko View Post
It seems that I've got the DirecTV guide information populating correctly, and I've also got the QAM guide information populating correctly from Zap2it.
If you use the Info command to view the detailed info for the airings, do any of the ShowIDs start with DT?

Quote:
It just so happens that they have different channel numbers for the channels they have in common.

So are you saying that if I remap the logical channel number Sage will know that those channels are the same and can be used interchangeably for recordings?

Specifically, I currently have a NBC at channel 5 and channel 13. If I remap the logical channel from 5 to 13, then my guide will not show 5 any more and 13 will have 2 tuner options for viewing?
No, as I said above, the channel number doesn't matter in terms of merging them in the guide. If they are the same channels (specifically: the same station ID internally in the database), they will be merged in the Guide. If thye aren't merged in the guide, they aren't the same channels as far as SageTV is concerned.

- Andy
Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Sage Icon

This confused the hell out of me for awhile but I think I figured it out. Mine is OTA stations and DirecTV but I think it would be the same concept.

I have WUNC on channel 4 on DirecTV. I have the same station on 36-2 called UNC-HD on the HDHR. The EPG data on zapit does not find a UNC-HD so no guide info. If I remap the 36-2\UNC-HD to WUNC in the SageTV channel editor then 36-2 seems to disappear from my channel guide. At that point Sage is using the merit setting for the tuner to decide witch of the two options to use. For me which is which this is obvious since the DirecTV WUNC feed is yet HD and is sized and quality are completely different than the OTA station.

I have the HD-PVR set with the highest merit because of occasion signal drops out on the OTA stations. I will always use the HD-PVR if it is available. Since PBS is not true HD on DirecTV and I always get good signal for PBS I want to use the HDHR station so I go into the DirecTV channel guide and unselect the DirecTV channel 4\PBS. It will no longer tune with the HD-PVR but the guide still shows the station as 4/PBS even though it will tune 36-2\PBS-HD on the HDHR.

Last edited by SWKerr; 12-12-2008 at 10:29 AM.