SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Sage User

List of property settings

Is there a definitive list of ALL the property items, what they do and permitted values?
Looked around but didn't have any luck.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Sage User

Uh...I guess not. I've been searching and googling for the same list and have had no luck. Perhaps my Google-fu is weak.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Many property settings are used internally by the SageTV core and aren't meant to be tweaked by end users (unless specifically directed to do so by Support). That's one reason why you won't find a comprehensive list.

Properties that control UI options are generally configurable through the UI. So those ones aren't documented either, because you shouldn't need to tweak them directly in the .properties file.

Finally, third-party plugins and UI mods can store their properties in the same file, which is another reason why you won't find any single document covering all properties.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

You know, its rare that I find a product that has all of the worst attributes of open source software coupled with all of the worst attributes of closed source software and the positive attributes of neither.

But Sage really seems to have pulled off this hat-trick with style.

I think y'all in the forums are fine people. But I'm really frustrated with the state of affairs of communications with the principals at Sage, LLC proper.

M
Old 12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwalker View Post
You know, its rare that I find a product that has all of the worst attributes of open source software coupled with all of the worst attributes of closed source software and the positive attributes of neither.

Different strokes for different folks. I personally strongly disagree with your statement. For a piece of "closed software" Sage is remarkably open, tweakable, expandable, stable, etc.

If you want completely open but unstable and hard to configure, Myth is for you. If you want closed go for TiVo or MCE.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I think y'all in the forums are fine people. But I'm really frustrated with the state of affairs of communications with the principals at Sage, LLC proper.

M
I'm not sure I understand where this is coming from. Is it somehow related to the original post in this thread?

Keep in mind the OP of this thread was asking for a list of "properties" to change in a somewhat behind-the-scenes settings file. Any of those properties one would want to change are explained in the SageTV manual where appropriate, but as mentioned above mostly you should not change a setting in the properties file unless told to do so for a specific purpose. Most settings to change are done in the UI itself.

Also, remember that these forums are mostly users, not SageTV employees. There is an official "forum admin" who frequents the forums and trys to step in where help can be given, but mostly its user-to-user as the top of the forums specifically states. You'll find the CEO step in occasionally as well but the forum isn't monitored every moment by any means. You will find that many of the forum members are extremely helpful and knowledgeable, but there are plenty of newer members who might not provide the right advice - that's just a normal consequence of an open forum...

SageTV is a for-profit software that is updated very often with new features and bug fixes when necessary. At the same time, they strive to keep things as open as possible so that multitudes of plugins, add-ons, themes etc can be created by users as well. I think it holds the best of the open-source with the stability and consistent updates of a paid software. It's the best of both worlds not the worst...
Old 12-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

M
I am happy with no communication at all, as long as they are developing and enhancing the product.

Which they are and have, So I am Happy!!!

I bet a very detail list of Sage property file entries could be complied from this forum, but it would most likely create very unstable configurations.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
But I'm really frustrated with the state of affairs of communications with the principals at Sage, LLC proper.
You seem to hate Abit and now you're railing against Sage, what, if anything, DO you like? You seem bitter and very angry...