SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Sage User

Unhappy Please Help - Can't tune channels above 12

Hello,

I'm a new user. Just received my PVR-250 and SageTV 1.4 today. Everything is great except that SageTV can't tune in any channels above 12.

My setup is as follows:

PVR-250
SageTV 1.4 (fully licensed)
WinXP SP1
Comcast digital cable BUT I'M JUST RUNNING COAX STRAIGHT INTO THE ANT-IN JACK ON THE PVR-250 (ie. not using the digital cable box)
Zip code: 60622

As stated above, I'm running coax directly into the PVR-250's antenna-in jack. I'm NOT sending the signal through a digital cable box. I'm just using the PVR250's internal tuner to tune in the analog channels only. My digital cable box is being used for my Tivo.

I know that I AM RECEIVING channels above 12 because when I run WinTV2000, I can view channels 22, 58, & 69 on my PC. I can also plug the coax directly into my TV or VCR and tune in those channels without a digital cable box. So why is SageTV having problems???? I wish this program had a simple "scan for channels" button like WinTV2000 or even my VCR/TV/STB.

FYI, there are 5 listings for Comcast cable for my Chicago zip code, 60622. I've tried all 5 listing including the Broadcast TV listing and none of them work for channels above 12. Yes, I did make sure to manually add 22, 58, & 69 if they weren't in the default channel line-up listing.

At this point I've tried everything I can think of, including shutting down SageTV in-between each configuration change. Nothing has worked.

This guy had a similar problem as me except his tuner issue started at channel 13:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...+tune+channels

I followed the advice provided... I changed both flags... one-at-a-time... then simultaneously, but it had no affect. Can someone please offer some advice? Otherwise, I'll be contacting Frey Tech and hopefully getting an RMA for the PVR card, software, and USB-UIRT.

thanks in advance,
-eric
Old 03-01-2004, 07:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you set it up as a Cable or Antenna source? It should be Cable.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Sage User

Is there some place other than the Guided Setup Wizard where you specify Cable source vs. Antenna source? In the Guided Setup, I tried ALL 5 COMCAST CABLE entries. I would assume that SageTV is smart enough to realize I'm attempting to tune in Cable channels vs antenna when I've told it I have Comcast cable. Is this NOT the case? BTW, I also tried the Chicago Broadcast (antenna) source and it didn't help.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

When I first got Sage, it treated my cable as antenna even though I specified cable as my connection. I removed the source "hauppauge pvr250" in the wizard, added it again and it worked.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:04 PM
SageTVaholic

After you select which tuner to add as a source, there's a screen that says:
"Please select the input on the Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture to configure:"
You should select "TV Tuner"

The next screen says "Please select a tuning option" select "Use Tuner on Capture Card to tune Cable TV"

Then continue as you have before.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:31 AM
Sage User

stranger89,

I've been following the correct procedure to add a tuner. But just to be sure, I'll do again step-by-step as I'm typing this response.

1. SageTV has just been started. No tuner is configured so the Setup Wizard has started automatically. It says, "Welcome to the SageTV Setup Wizard! During setup, press Select (Enter) to confirm your selection.... Press Select (Enter) now to begin."

2. I press Enter and it says "Please select the video capture device listed below that you wish to configure at this time. To configure multiple tuner support, you will need to rerun the Setup Wizard for each input source." There is a single choice for me to pick... it's my capture card.... HERE'S A QUESTIONS - I bought a PVR-250 card from Frey... but SageTV says I have a "HAUPPAUGE WINTV PVR PCI II CAPTURE"!!! Is this correct? Shouldn't it say I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 PCI Capture??? Did Frey Tech ship me the wrong card?

3. Using the mouse, I click on "Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture"

4. A new screen appears saying, "Using your keyboard, enter the Access Code for the SageTV Service you were given. You may use backspace if you make a mistake. You man also run SageTV without an Access Code....... use TRIAL as you access code!"

5. I type in "TRIAL" then hit [Enter]

6. SageTV asks, "Enter the 5-digit Zip Code that you reside in:" Here I see that SageTV has remembered my Zip code from my numerous previous setups. Since my zip code, 60622, is already entered, I just hit [Enter].

7. SageTV now tells me, "SageTV must now use the Internet to connect to the SageTV Server. If your Internet connection is not currently present, please establish it now. Please keep your Internet connection open until setup is completed. Press Select (Enter_ to continue." So I press Enter.

8. A quick message flashes by... it's too quick for me to read then a listing of programing providers is displayed for my zip code. The list includes RCN Cable, DirecTV, Comcast Cable, Dish, etc.....

9. Note, as I've said previously, I have Comcast Digital cable but I'm not using a cable box with SageTV. SageTV is showing me 5 choices for Comcast cable with includes digital, rebuild digital, and just plain Comcast NW/SW 1,2,3,4 (i assume this is non-digital) but I have no idea what the numbers (1,2,3,4) mean.
Also as I've previously stated, I've tried ALL 5 OF THE COMCAST listings AND NONE OF THEM can tune in channels above channel 12. They ALL work perfectly fine for channels 2-12.

10. For this example, I'm going to click on"Comcast NorthWest 2 & 3 - Chicago". I don't know what 2 & 3 means.

11. SageTV now says, "Choose the level of Service that most closely matches what you subscribe to: Basic Service, Extended Basic Service"

12. I choose "Extended Basice Service" just to make sure SageTV selects as many default channels as possible.

13. Now SagetV shows me a list of TV channels. It says, "This is a list of all the channels available for your lineup. Use Select (enter) to toggle whether or not you...... press the Right Arrow to continue." The channel line-up more or less corresponds to the channel lineup I'm receiving except that the upper channels are mapped incorrectly. For instance, SageTV doesn't know that 69 is History Channel, but I don't think that matters. I can always fix the mappings latter. All that matters is that channel 69 is selected as a channel I receive which allows me to tune it in.

14. I scroll through the list and verify that channels 22, 58, & 69 are selected in the channels guide. They are all active by default. Also, these channels ALL WORK fine WinTV2000.

15. Now I press the Right arrow and SageTV says "Select the input below that you have this source connected to on your PC's capture card:" The choices are s-video, composite, composite-2, Tv tuner-antenna". I pick "TV Tuner-Antenna." NOTICE THAT THE WORDING IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT STRANGER89 SAID. Either we are using different builds of 1.4 or he was paraphrasing the setup instructions. The build of 1.4 I'm using was downloaded yesterday from Frey's site.

16. SageTV now says,
"The following sources are now setup to work with SageTV. Select an option below."
"Source #1: Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture TV Tuner, Comcast Northwest 2 & 3 - Chicago, No IR Control"

I am also give 3 options: "Complete Setup, Add or Modify a Source, Remove a Source" I click "Complete Setup"

17. It says, "Thank you for completing the setup wizard. The EPG should be fully populated..... Press Select (enter) to complete setup."

18. I press Enter and am taking to the Setup Menu. I click on the Home icon to get to the main Menu then I click on LIVE TV.

19. Channel 2 WBBM is tuned in by default. I click the UP CHANNEL button to change channels. Everything between 2-12 works fine except for channel 3 ESPN. I think it is scrambled. Nothing above channel 12 works. Using the remote control or the manual Channel UP/Down buttons to tune to channels 22, 58, & 69 only gives me static. IT'S NOT WORKING

20. I shut down SageTV. I double click on WinTV2000. Channel 69 (History channel) IS PLAYING JUST FINE. I tune to 58 and 22 and they work just fine too. Why does the free, bundled WinTV2000 work when the $60 SageTV won't? I don't understand why this is so difficult!

What am I doing wrong?. Do official employees of Frey Tech monitor these boards? I think I need official tech support but I don't know the procedure. Maybe I should just email their Tech support dept with this thread and beg for help? If they can't help, I need to call them within I think 14 days to get my money back for the hardware and software. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by erics; 03-02-2004 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:01 AM
SageTVaholic

In step 15 you should also have a choice "cable". I'm not sure what resolution you're in, but when you're in that screen try to arrow down to see if you have "cable" as a choice. That is your whole issue now.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:35 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by gplasky
In step 15 you should also have a choice "cable". I'm not sure what resolution you're in, but when you're in that screen try to arrow down to see if you have "cable" as a choice. That is your whole issue now.

Gerry
IMG!!! You are right. There are more options below. I'M A COMPETE NOOBIE, MORON, IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

Ummm.... Frey Tech support? If you are reading this, please ignore my support request.

Thanks all. You guys ROCK!
Old 03-02-2004, 05:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:08 AM
Sage Icon

I think you made him happy.

Carlo
Old 03-02-2004, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

"HAUPPAUGE WINTV PVR PCI II CAPTURE" is what the 250 is called, don't worry. Plus I'm running 2.0 so my setup wizard is a little different.

Glad to hear you have it working
Old 03-02-2004, 10:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by erics
IMG!!! You are right. There are more options below. I'M A COMPETE NOOBIE, MORON, IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

Ummm.... Frey Tech support? If you are reading this, please ignore my support request.

Thanks all. You guys ROCK!

You know, you're starting to sound like one of us now.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Saw all the and I thought a new beta had come out while I was gone outta town!!!

--Mike