SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Creating a Media Center Appliance Proof-Of-Concept Based on SageTV

I have to be honest with the forum members: The first time I heard about SageTV was not a positive one. Too hard to configured, not compatible with this or that, etc.. I took the plunge and configured my first SageTV server with MCE remote support. Once I got everything configured to my linkings (let me rephrase that: to my wife’s liking!) I pretty much shrink wrapped the config and has not have any config problems at all. This project is leading for me to create a media center appliance to be showcased at a local new entrepreneur’s summit in the upcoming months. The goal is to combine many or all components of a home theater setup into a single box. As a convergence device, my SageTV Media Center Appliance combines the functions of a personal computer and a digital video recorder. Effectively it can replace DVD/Blu-ray players, CD players, recording devices and various other multimedia entertainment devices.

The Appliance config

The small SageTV media center appliance proof-of-concept I am working on is configured as a back end server. It’s architecture is based on an Intel Embedded Compact Extended (ECX) form factor motherboard (Portwell PEB-2730VL) It uses an Ultra Low Voltage Intel® Celeron M processor and the Intel® 915GM chipset with 1GB of memory. Some will say that this board will not do the trick as an HTPC (oops, media center appliance) back end. Since I envisioned this system, its purpose is to house the OS and the media center software. The tuners are external and get connected to the server via USB. There is an external 1TB drive, which connected to the system via USB as well. All the processing will be done by the system extenders and not at the back end server.

So far everything is working as planned. WAF is way up there, kids are happy, friends that stopped by are impressed by the ample digital entertainment choices the system offer, and my fellow network engineers can not believe that a box so small (HD-200) can reproduce all the media with such details and clarity! Let me know your thoughts. This community has been instrumental in my success with SageTV as our Digital media hub.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfilomeno View Post
All the processing will be done by the system extenders and not at the back end server.
The HD200s will offload media playback, but the UI processing happens on the server. I'd be worried that 1GB of RAM might not be enough to serve multiple clients and handle all the back-end chores as well.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
The HD200s will offload media playback, but the UI processing happens on the server. I'd be worried that 1GB of RAM might not be enough to serve multiple clients and handle all the back-end chores as well.
I would imagine this would depend on what OS he is running (I didn't see it specified in his post)... We all know Vista is a pig when it comes to memory, but XP seems quite happy with 1GB of memory. I've heard the upcoming Windows 7 will be more thrifty with memory as well, and most Linux distros run well with out a lot of memory (though I don't know how efficiently Sage runs on Linux).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Sage User

I have been considering something similar, but with beefier hardware. WHS based, MyMovies for WHS to automatically load DVDs, ability to add drives (wish I could get WHS to automatically do 64k blocks) a BluRay drive so that I can rip BluRays or simply play them from the drive. WOuld be headless and would use extenders at the TVs.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Sage Expert

what is the reason for the hardware limitations? if you are building a plug-n-play multimedia server, you may as well use "real" hardware, an allow base storage "in the box" get a decent silverstone or antec ( i used this one originally http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129054 ) case an have boot + 2 TB drive inside + 3 GB ram + possibility for internal tuners.

i dont like recording/media usb drives+usb tuners - i have not had the best of luck with pushing heavy usb throughput...

this case is about the same size as my turntable, so it is easy to squirrel away, and without having to use it for video out, current onboard GPU solutions will make it silent.

i'd say retail this would be <$500 complete. then with an HD200 by the TVs and you are all set.

remember, even the AppleTV functions best as a playback device, with another mass storage desktop somewhere else on the network.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Sage Expert

...the previous was posted under the influence of a gorgeous arturo fuente anjeo #55, lit in rebuke to the recent US increase in tobacco tax.. but i do think if you are going to the trouble of a media appliance, you should beef it up.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Sage Expert

I think the biggest issue with the concept you'll have is that it requires ethernet cables to each TV location. I don't think you'll get wireless to give you acceptance factor you need. Not many houses have or want to try and run an ethernet cable to each TV watching location.

There are alternatives (power line, coax) but they cost more and I'm still not sure how well they work. Plus the "server" has to have power and cable/sat feeds, which may not be available in convenient locations.

Maybe the right answer is to build an HD-200 into the server? Use a HTPC case with the low power/quiet internals and figure out some way to bolt an HD200 into it. You get extender quality playback without having to hide and connect a server, run ethernet (unless you wanted more extenders) or mess with codecs and drivers.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
Maybe the right answer is to build an HD-200 into the server? Use a HTPC case with the low power/quiet internals and figure out some way to bolt an HD200 into it. You get extender quality playback without having to hide and connect a server, run ethernet (unless you wanted more extenders) or mess with codecs and drivers.
I thought about a concept like that. If you could cram two HDPVR's and one HD200 in with a small formfactor PC into a Receiver size case, with the OS being hidden and automated, then I think it could work quite well. Since Linux supports the HDPVR right now, it would eliminate an OS cost.

Figure costs:
HD200 plus SageTV Media Center, $249.99
4xHDPVR ~$400
plus PC Parts ~400
Case Depends on taste.

I would venture a minimum of $1200 after all was said and done.

If you take out the HDPVR's and do 2 Hauppaug 1600's for analog and digital, subtract $200
Old 04-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
I thought about a concept like that. If you could cram two HDPVR's and one HD200 in with a small formfactor PC into a Receiver size case, with the OS being hidden and automated, then I think it could work quite well. Since Linux supports the HDPVR right now, it would eliminate an OS cost.

Figure costs:
HD200 plus SageTV Media Center, $249.99
4xHDPVR ~$400
plus PC Parts ~400
Case Depends on taste.

I would venture a minimum of $1200 after all was said and done.

If you take out the HDPVR's and do 2 Hauppaug 1600's for analog and digital, subtract $200
I'd also either figure on a small switch or a second NIC in case you wanted to stream to other HD-200s since the normal one on the MB would have to go to the internal HD-200. If not then a wireless card or USB adaptor would suffice.

Of course if you've gone to all the trouble of modifying all that to fit and work in a case it might be cheaper (though probably not as reliable) to just work out the codec issues and get a stand-alone system running. Once you had the image of the working system it's practially a done deal.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hello. The OS is Win XP. I had good feedback from USB tuners. I sure could beef things up but the concept is to say very small, quiet, and affordable. So far, The test rig is holding up. The HD200 are working via ethernet connectivity. Even thought I sucessfully test the extenders with Netgear's wireless extenders, I went that wired route. I will keep posting my trial results.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:28 PM
SageTVaholic

So how is the project going so far lfilomeno? Any updates?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

I just saw this and it is a interesting idea. I think you are being to limited with external drives. That just requires more space to store the unit.

I have now built 3 sage servers for customers and I do a all in one big server unit and then run hd200 headless.

To me not having the drives internal is not ideal.Also I agree 1gb of ram is too limiting when you get 3 hd200's going or more and running something like takes allot of ui. (moviewall)
Old 05-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

PluckyHD and Brent,

Sorry about the late response but the life of a Military Network Engineer / IT Manager is very challenging. Well, I got Zotac involved in our project so we are very excited about this project. The back end will be powered by a Zotac mini-itx board with 4GB and a E7400 procesor. There will be one drive on the system with the OS, SageTV and it's related drivers. I will keep the External Drive (1TB) for testing purposes but will include it on teh back end server when the testing period finished. The tuners are goign to be now two HD-PVR's. I have read good and bad things about them but seems like the logical solution to get HD content out of the STB's if you don't want to mod them. For the proof-of-concept case for the back end server, we are debating if we should go with the Sugo 05 or with another case we had in mind before. The current setup worked well out of the HVR-1950's tuners and HD-200 but for marketing/showing purpose, I addded an Aquos 52" LCD and the change to HD "tuners" was needed. Like I said, my current job server, switches, routers upgrade and/or troubleshooting takes a big chunk of my work day but I will get this project going very sson. The wife was scared when she saw that I was making holes to run wires (my original platform was a wireless HT setup with Netgear equipment) but since she now can watched recorded "DR G." episodes she has approved the system but not my purchases! Will keep the updates coming more frequently.