SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Sage User

When attempting to play avi over network get "file no longer exists"

When I try to play a video over the CIFS (Windows share) I get the error "The file no longer exists" when I try to play it, but the file does in fact exist.

The media I am trying to play is on a Windows Vista PC (not running sage). Anyone seen this?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

try:
1. unplug sage, plug back in
2. wait until media is refreshed (icon in upper right)
that works for me sometimes
Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfreak View Post
When I try to play a video over the CIFS (Windows share) I get the error "The file no longer exists" when I try to play it, but the file does in fact exist.

The media I am trying to play is on a Windows Vista PC (not running sage). Anyone seen this?
Make sure that the user ID on that Vista PC has permissions to that share.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Sage User

I have rebooted the box, and the permissions are correct, full control. I can browse directories just fine. but when I pick a file to play is when I get the error.

Also, I tried using upnp/WMP to serve the file and that seems to work correctly - but I would much rather use CIFS instead of Windows media to get my videos.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Sage

Try the beta firmware; just enter 'beta' on your remote in the System Update menu. We fixed a bug just like this in it a few months back so it should resolve your problem.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Try the beta firmware; just enter 'beta' on your remote in the System Update menu. We fixed a bug just like this in it a few months back so it should resolve your problem.

Tried the beta, and it seems that made it a bit worse for vista - now I can't browse the domains/workgroups - just get "Network not found" for the vista box but the XP system works. When accessing the same content from a different device with XBMC I have no problems so I'm certain everything's configured correctly.

It would be nice if there were a way to directly input the host name, path, user name, and password- so we don't have to use browse because WINS is notoriously unpredictable.

I'm a bit disappointed in this product. It's got a lot of potential, but the UI (outside of the sage media extender mode, in extender mode it's great) is really slow and featureless when connecting to shares. I currently use XBMC on an old xbox and perhaps I am spoiled by it's flexability and speed but it can't play HD content so I got the Sage HD to hopefully replace it.

I'm going to play with setting up a "UPNP Server" as sage calls it with something besides windows media player backing it. The HD Theater Media player seems to handle that *much* better then using standard windows shares.

I hope sage puts some effort into getting streaming video working off a Windows Vista CIFS share - there's probably a lot of XBMC users looking to replace it with something that can stream HD content so it would probably help sales too.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Sage Icon

I had an awful time with my Vista PC. I finally got consistency by setting up under Group or usernames "Everyone", making sure the share was available to "Everyone" and giving them Full Control, Change and Read access on the share.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT