SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Sage User

So I got this as a WHS/Sage TV Server

Windows Home Server
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz
- Memory: 4GB DDR3
- Hard Drive: 8 1TB Drives
- Optical Drive: DVD Drive
- Operating System: Windows Home Server

SageTV Media Extender
DVD Manager with AnyDVD

That should be good right?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marley1 View Post
So I got this as a WHS/Sage TV Server

Windows Home Server
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz
- Memory: 4GB DDR3
- Hard Drive: 8 1TB Drives
- Optical Drive: DVD Drive
- Operating System: Windows Home Server

SageTV Media Extender
DVD Manager with AnyDVD

That should be good right?
Should be good to go. What tuner?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Sage User

no tuner, only for DVD, they think the TV tuner portion will run slow (lag from remotes).
Old 04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
no tuner, only for DVD, they think the TV tuner portion will run slow (lag from remotes).
Livetv (channel changing) will yes but recorded is instant. There is no lag from remote.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Sage User

Yeah for right now no TV, just strictly centralizing dvd.

Do I actually need SageTV on teh WHS? Can I just point the HD200 to the File Share?

Just curious as what I need to order, 5 Extender, and just 1 SageTV Server OS? Or just 5 Extenders?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Whs is great and highly recomended by me over using a standard pc.

That being said yes you can just use a standard pc. Depends on the backup needs and replication needs.

Quote:
Yeah for right now no TV, just strictly centralizing dvd.

Do I actually need SageTV on teh WHS? Can I just point the HD200 to the File Share?

Just curious as what I need to order, 5 Extender, and just 1 SageTV Server OS? Or just 5 Extenders?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Sage User

Sorry I wasn't clear in that last post. Someone on another forum told me you do not even need SageTV server running on the WHS machine, you can just point the extender to the share.

Someone also told me to look into MyMovies instead of DVD Manager.

Also how is bluray playback on those?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
He also wants to be able to rip blueray in the future to this. Will HD200 handle all that?
How far in the future?

Be careful here, you could be running into a BCOW (Big Can Of Worms). The functionality of bluray playback is VERY different than standard DVD playback.

DVDs have been around a long time now and the tools exist to simply pop in a DVD, rip it, watch it on a HD200 and it can have all the same functionality of a DVD player (menus, extras, chapters, etc).

But bluray is a whole other ballgame. While the HD200 is technically capable of playing back bluray rips, there are a boatload of caveats.
You'll need a program like AnyDVD HD to rip it. The resulting rip may hold anywhere from one to twenty separate video files that contain the movie. If it is multiple files, you'll want to combine them (lossless reencode) into one seamless file that the HD200 can play.
You may need to mess with the audio tracks during this encoding process to get audio working too.
You will loose all menus, but during the recoding process, you can insert timed chapters (like every 5 minutes of the movie).

I wouldn't want you making promises without a clear understanding of what's involved...
Old 04-29-2009, 05:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
How far in the future?

Be careful here, you could be running into a BCOW (Big Can Of Worms). The functionality of bluray playback is VERY different than standard DVD playback.

DVDs have been around a long time now and the tools exist to simply pop in a DVD, rip it, watch it on a HD200 and it can have all the same functionality of a DVD player (menus, extras, chapters, etc).

But bluray is a whole other ballgame. While the HD200 is technically capable of playing back bluray rips, there are a boatload of caveats.
You'll need a program like AnyDVD HD to rip it. The resulting rip may hold anywhere from one to twenty separate video files that contain the movie. If it is multiple files, you'll want to combine them (lossless reencode) into one seamless file that the HD200 can play.
You may need to mess with the audio tracks during this encoding process to get audio working too.
You will loose all menus, but during the recoding process, you can insert timed chapters (like every 5 minutes of the movie).

I wouldn't want you making promises without a clear understanding of what's involved...
This is not eniterly true anydvd works great just ripping g it and playing back blu rays no rencoding necessary all chapters are in tact and audio is selectable

I have ripped Over forty without fail

The only caveat is hd audio is downconverted
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
This is not eniterly true anydvd works great just ripping g it and playing back blu rays no rencoding necessary all chapters are in tact and audio is selectable

I have ripped Over forty without fail

The only caveat is hd audio is downconverted
Thanks for the clarification, Pluckyhd.
I assume you mean AnyDVD HD and not AnyDVD?
That's good news about the chapters!
How do you choose the audio track when playing back on the HD200? Is this in the stock SageTV or SageMC?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Pluckyhd.
I assume you mean AnyDVD HD and not AnyDVD?
That's good news about the chapters!
How do you choose the audio track when playing back on the HD200? Is this in the stock SageTV or SageMC?

Yes sorry anydvd HD

It is only supported with extenders and you just hit audio or go into options and chose the audio

dts-hd and dolby digital-hd pull out the regular dts and dolby digital respectivael

I am using sagemc but I believe it is support on native sage stv also
Old 04-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Sage User

yeah from what I gathered, you use AnyDVD HD and that other program truxmix or something to rip out the unused feeds right? Got a tutorial on your steps pluckyhd?

also can two people watch the same recorded dvd on sage? two people can watch different movies on it right?

and why doesn't sage have built in gigabit?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
yeah from what I gathered, you use AnyDVD HD and that other program truxmix or something to rip out the unused feeds right? Got a tutorial on your steps pluckyhd?
I use tsmuxer. There are many guides floating around; in most cases you just need to point tsmuxer at the biggest m2ts and check the boxes next to the streams you want to keep.

Quote:
also can two people watch the same recorded dvd on sage? two people can watch different movies on it right?
yes

Quote:
and why doesn't sage have built in gigabit?
no need for the extenders. your server should have a gigabit nic.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear in that last post. Someone on another forum told me you do not even need SageTV server running on the WHS machine, you can just point the extender to the share.
Yes you can. And if you're looking at the stock STV and not handling metadata it would work fine (so long as you've got less than 30,000 or so total media items).

Quote:
Also how is bluray playback on those?
Quite good, about indistinguishable from my Pioneer BDP-51FD, though no menus and it's limited to core DD/DTS for now.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Based on what you're trying to accomplish, I don't think there'd be much of a benefit to actually running SageTV Media Center on the WHS box. You should just be able to run the HD200s in standalone mode and point them to the file share, as you said.

So, you just need 5 HD200s.

My understanding is that blu-ray playback on the HD200 works pretty well, but you won't see menus. It will just start playing back the video title(s).
Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Sage User

sounds good, i am going to go ahead and put sage on the server just because i already inlcluded it in the estimate. i figure it wont hurt anything, and if he wants to use sage on the computers or placeshifter i can isntall it.

thanks for all the advice guys!