SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Sage Acting Weird, Then Lost All Data In Program Guide?

SageTV, running as a service under WHS, started acting funny this evening: evening news stopped a couple times and I had to turn off the HD200 and re-start it.

After dinner, I went back to trying to config my "Luggable" TV and Sage seemed to bite the big one: HD200 could not connect, then it could... then it couldn't.

Turned off all the routers/switches and re-booted WHS.

No improvement.

Then I figured I'd see how well PlaceShifter was working from my main PC.

Oops! Program Guide appears to have lost *everything*..... just has "No Data" for all shows/times.
Also the list of recordings is totally empty.

Checked SageTV.Properties and it is still pointing to the right place for Wiz.bin. OTOH, the Wiz.bin in the backup path has not been updated since back in March.

The current Wiz.bin is pretty hefty: 4,723 KB... so it's not like Sage suddenly decided to start anew with an empty Wiz.bin....

I shut the server down and will leave it turned off until I come up with a plan of action.

Is there a way to tell if Wiz.bin is actually hosed or how badly it is hosed?

Seems at least possible that it's not Wiz.bin but something else. Reason: when I copy that old backup copy from back in March and replace the existing Wiz.bin with it, the same two symptoms persist: "No Data" in program guide and "No Recordings" under "SageTV Recordings.

Recovery possibilities?

Anybody been here?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna

Last edited by PeteCress; 06-18-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 PM
SageTVaholic

There should be a wiz.bin backup (wiz.bak) in your Sage directory. My wiz.bin is 17,360 kb on my WHS. I'm in the middle of adding another HDHR, scanning the channels and removing my analog tuners. I have 85 clear QAM statoins thru Comcast now including the SD 1-77 channels. My wiz.bak is 25,988 kb. Maybe try bringing it back up and see if it fixed itself. If not stop the service and copy out your wiz.bin, delete it from the SageTV directory and rename you wiz.bak to wiz.bin and see what happens.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Sage Icon

I think your channel lineup has changed. This happened to me recently with the "No Data" symptom. I went into all my tuner sources and updated the program guide and all was well again.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
I think your channel lineup has changed. This happened to me recently with the "No Data" symptom. I went into all my tuner sources and updated the program guide and all was well again.
That sounds hopeful - and consistant with my observation that things did not improve when I substituted an old copy of Wiz.bin.

Did your "Recordings" list become empty at the same time?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.

Last edited by PeteCress; 06-19-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
That sounds hopeful - and consistant with my observation that things did not improve when I substituted an old copy of Wiz.bin.
I re-scanned the HD HomeRuns with Sage stopped, and then fired Sage back up and did a Setup | Setup VIdeo Sources | Channel Setup | Scan For Available Channels for each of the four tuners; but no luck.

Just restored Wiz.bin from a 6/16 backup and guess what?

Yup.... recordings are there, Program Guide populated...

Also, the file is about 2 megs larger than the one that was apparently hosed.

Go figure...

One thing I got out of this is that I'm going to amend my backup scheme:
  1. Take a full backup of the entire SageTV folder, not just the props files. Didn't need it this time, but who knows.... seems like being able to rename the SageTV directory and then restore, say, yesterday's copy would be a Very Nice To Have. I'll continue keeping Wiz.bin in another directory so it's independent of any SageTV directory restores.
  2. Do all Sage-related backups twice: once to my removable media that gets cycled with copies at work, but again to a local drive - so I don't have to depend on going to work to restore a certain generation of something.

Question For The WHS Illuminati: Is there a way to tell WHS to back up stuff on it's own drives? Specifically, C:\Program Files\SageTV and Shares\Software\SageDB (which is where I keep Wiz.ini).

That would give me the "local drive" option I was going on about in item #2.

Last edited by PeteCress; 06-19-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Did your "Recordings" list become empty at the same time?
if you don't have guide data, then yes, the recording list wil be empty.
Quote:
I re-scanned the HD HomeRuns with Sage stopped, and then fired Sage back up and did a Setup | Setup VIdeo Sources | Channel Setup | Scan For Available Channels for each of the four tuners; but no luck.

Just restored Wiz.bin from a 6/16 backup and guess what?

Yup.... recordings are there, Program Guide populated...

Also, the file is about 2 megs larger than the one that was apparently hosed.

Go figure...
Just make sure your guide data is populated for the next two weeks ahead. What I did was not just rescan channels, I actually changed the guide data source by entering zip code and picking an updated lineup. Then I rescan it.

Quote:
One thing I got out of this is that I'm going to amend my backup scheme:
  1. Take a full backup of the entire SageTV folder, not just the props files. Didn't need it this time, but who knows.... seems like being able to rename the SageTV directory and then restore, say, yesterday's copy would be a Very Nice To Have. I'll continue keeping Wiz.bin in another directory so it's independent of any SageTV directory restores.
  2. Do all Sage-related backups twice: once to my removable media that gets cycled with copies at work, but again to a local drive - so I don't have to depend on going to work to restore a certain generation of something.
You don't need to backup the whole SageTV folder, just sage.properties and wiz.bin. For a while now, I use the backup procedure detailed in my signature below. It works quite well.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
Just make sure your guide data is populated for the next two weeks ahead. What I did was not just rescan channels, I actually changed the guide data source by entering zip code and picking an updated lineup. Then I rescan it.
It's not there for two weeks. Only out to 6/28.

Where did you re-specify the zip code?
Old 06-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
It's not there for two weeks. Only out to 6/28.

Where did you re-specify the zip code?
When you run the tuner setup wizard, it always ask for it. But to edit the lineup of an existing tuner, you select the tuner in Setup Video Sources, then select the tuner you want to change the lineup, then select where it says EPG Lineup ...

My lineup can see up to 7/02.