SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

the "other" software finally added overlay support...

for version 3.4.4

wonder how sexy their non vmr menu's are going to look now?

with the latest sage 2.0.14 release i was way into the transparency thing for a day or two but now i'm back to using the opaque overlay menu's and personally i think the top info bar with it's gradual blue colors looks fantastic.

i wish that the similar blue colors could also be used on the time bar rather then the bright 8-bit color looking blue which is currently used

the sage vmr9 menus are VERY, VERY nice but my pc just isn't happy in vmr9 mode so that's an ongoing project for me.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:48 PM

They are having usability issues with their large OSD not being transparent, but I think it is great they added this in. Lots of the BTV users are not so technical so it was always a shot against BTV's image quality to have VMR9 only (especially with the bugs in VMR9 we are all familiar with now). I would suspect that they will modify or add a second OSD and even new UI components added in to compensate.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Sage Fanatic

mlb, not sure if you've had much experience with windows mce but my dad's original mce install had terrible ghosting and stutter during tv playback but since he upgraded to mce 2004 the playback he gets from vmr9 is now as clean as we get back from overlay.

it would be interesting to know quite what microsoft did to improve (drastically - no hardware changes) on this.

since gottvPVR uses the same timeslip function as MCE it makes me wonder how their VMR9 implementation looks/works and if it too experiences the similar minor problems we experience?
Old 03-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Sage Icon

I never had a problem with BTV tearing or stuttering. What I did not like is the "fuzziness" of the picture. VMR9 on sage has the same effect. My wife refuses to let me use VMR becasue of it. To me its not that bad but when you are use to the almost crystal clear overly, it can be annoying.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

the scaling in vmr9 is junk but provided you have the horsepower there's always the ffdshow resize option which should render the clarity of overlay with the colors of vmr9.

that's one of my real draws for getting vmr9 going on my pc.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:33 PM

With BTV I get stuttering so I assume they are doing VSync. It is nice now with Overlay though .
Old 03-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

does the btv overlay pic quality equal that of sage now?
Old 03-26-2004, 02:58 PM

It is harder to get the encoder settings as good, but once you do I would say it is. Although I still can't use ffdshow or DScaler.