SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 PM

DirecTV d12-300 Serial Control

Once more unto the breach!

I've read every topic I can find about D12-300s, DirecTV serial control in general, and I'm almost ready to pull my hair out because it just won't work.

Hardware: I have usb to serial cable -> serial null modem cable -> serial to usb cable -> cable box. The usb to serial cable shows up as COM 3 in device manager. SageTV finds the PVR-250 fine, set up for S-Video, DirecTV serial control, COM 3. Picture and sound are great, but channel does not change. I set the com port speed to 9600 baud.

Driver: I've tried both the driver that comes with V6 and the "old" driver. Neither works. In the debug file, I see a statement saying "incomplete COM read" when it tries to change the channel.

DirecTVSerialControl.exe: Does NOT work, and shows a timeout after every command.

Box: I have rebooted it with the usb cable in, and with it out. Neither works.

So, any suggestions? The usb to serial cables I got show up as made by Huge Pine in the device manager, are these known to work or not to work? I'm using a null modem serial cable instead of the F/F null modem, is this known to work or not work? If DTVSerialControl.exe doesn't work, does that mean for sure it is a hardware problem? It connects to the COM port 3 just fine.

Is there anyone who has my exact setup working? (Windows XP, D12-300 stb, usb on both ends, SageTV v6)

Thanks.
Brian
Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Sage Icon

Do you know the chipset? What is the name of the driver? Directv only officially supports a couple of controllers for the USB to serial devices.