SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Using Linux Placeshifter as a Client - Any Caveats?

So I see that in order to use a Linux-based SageTV Client, you need to use the Linux version of Placeshifter since there is no true SageTV Client in Linux. Are there any caveats to this?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:04 PM
SageTVaholic

DVD Playback - I don't think it works.

B
Old 08-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Another FAQ to see:

What is the difference between SageTV Client and Placeshifter?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Hmm. So I'm curious as to why no true Linux Client then. Is it to keep control of the CE devices it might be put on or just not wanting to take Linux all the way yet?

Reason I'm asking is I'm preparing a guest post from a Linux fan who tried out SageTV and this was one of his "issues" with it. So consider this me wanting to understand the reasoning before I post that article if possible. Thanks!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I think you'll need to ask Narflex about that one, but if I had to guess; no demand. (Obviously there would be some demand, but the numbers of paying clients would likely not make a dent in development costs)

my dos centablos

B

PS - I would whole-heartedly recommend Linux as a server for SageTV and use extenders for clients.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I think you'll need to ask Narflex about that one, but if I had to guess; no demand. (Obviously there would be some demand, but the numbers of paying clients would likely not make a dent in development costs)
Probably correct on that...

Quote:
PS - I would whole-heartedly recommend Linux as a server for SageTV and use extenders for clients.
I personally agree. But it would be a nice option for those so inclined to have a linux client version. Again, it wouldn't be for me, but always nice to have options. And since they already have the placeshifter for Linux it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

The caveat that I'd mention is that placeshifter on my linux box doesn't work all that well. The video is very jumpy. The user interface is fine, for setting up recordings and such, but it's not a very satisfying video watching experience.

I've only tried it on the SageTV server, so maybe it would do well running on a separate linux box, but I have to say that it isn't great on my MacPro either. As it turns out, this doesn't bother me, because it works so well on the cheap little HD-200 boxes that I just use those. I recommend them very highly.

BTW, the linux box is an AMD X4 905e, 4GB, Nvidia 8200, so it should be powerful enough. Maybe VDPAU would help, but I don't think Sage supports it yet and I haven't pursued the matter.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

When you say the Linux Placeshifter wont play DVD's, do you mean it wont play the physical disks, or won't play the .vobs from a ripped disk, or both?

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server