SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
Also, FYI, the new Comedy Central feeds are out so if you haven't installed the Scripts+Comedy Central plug-in Daily Show and Colbert Report won't work anymore.
OK I followed these directions and I see the new feeds. When I play one though I get a weird video error. I'm seeing what looks like the regular video as well as a double version with colors that resemble when you look at film negative! Same issue with Colbert and Daily Show. Has anyone seen this? Should I submit a ticket? Btw, I saw this with low and high bitrate in the script settings.

Edit: It's not a playon problem as I just checked this scrip by playing through WII. I think it's a Sage issue.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3285/colbert.jpg

Last edited by skyeclad; 03-16-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: image too wide to post inline; changed to a link
Old 03-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Is there any plug-in or a way to skip commercials with PlayON?

It was great at first, but now I am getting more and more commercials when watching.

I would say the commercials are getting progressively worse in terms of lenght and amount.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
Is there any plug-in or a way to skip commercials with PlayON?

It was great at first, but now I am getting more and more commercials when watching.

I would say the commercials are getting progressively worse in terms of lenght and amount.
Nope not really, commercials are just the price of doing business with Hulu: they give you free streaming content, you agree to watch a few ads. Its a pretty good deal if you ask me

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Nope not really, commercials are just the price of doing business with Hulu: they give you free streaming content, you agree to watch a few ads. Its a pretty good deal if you ask me
Maybe, but it's getting really bad.

So here is the part I am confused. When I start watching a stream and it get's to a commercial, I cannot fast forward even though SageTV shows a large buffer.

However, if I pause the stream for say 5 mintues, I can then fast forward during the commercial.

So what is going on or am I wrong about my stream not having enough cache when I first try to fast forward and not be able to do so?
Old 03-16-2010, 02:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Maybe, but it's getting really bad.
Yeah, I'll grant you that the ads are getting longer (just saw a 45 second one yesterday). But that was just one of the 5 for the show, the others were the standard 15-30 second ones.

Quote:
So here is the part I am confused. When I start watching a stream and it get's to a commercial, I cannot fast forward even though SageTV shows a large buffer.
Sage can't monitor PlayON downloads correctly right now so green bar is essentially meaningless.

PlayOn is encoding/streaming the videos in real time so its impossible to download faster than the video takes to playback (i.e. a 30 minute video will download in 30 minutes). However, you are correct, you can allow it to buffer for a few minutes and then you'll have room for skipping the commercials. It's essentially like watching live TV in that way.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
However, you are correct, you can allow it to buffer for a few minutes and then you'll have room for skipping the commercials. It's essentially like watching live TV in that way.
Yes, I clicked on the option in PlayON to keep up to 5 minutes buffer. But you have to wait in order to skip eventhough the buffer may be there.

I say the buffer may be there because the 1st commercial starts after some 15 minutes of watching a live stream. I think, and I may be wrong here so correct me if that's the case, that in those 15 minutes of time, enough buffer (cache) was available and had build up for me to fast forard.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, I clicked on the option in PlayON to keep up to 5 minutes buffer. But you have to wait in order to skip eventhough the buffer may be there.

I say the buffer may be there because the 1st commercial starts after some 15 minutes of watching a live stream. I think, and I may be wrong here so correct me if that's the case, that in those 15 minutes of time, enough buffer (cache) was available and had build up for me to fast forard.
You don't even need to worry about that PlayOn buffering setting because Sage does all of the buffering for automatically.

But you're still thinking about it too hard. Watching content though PlayOn is just like watching a LiveTV show that just starts when you press play. If there are 4 minutes of commercials that you want to skip in a 30 minute show then you have to wait 4 minutes before you start watching.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
You don't even need to worry about that PlayOn buffering setting because Sage does all of the buffering for automatically.

But you're still thinking about it too hard. Watching content though PlayOn is just like watching a LiveTV show that just starts when you press play. If there are 4 minutes of commercials that you want to skip in a 30 minute show then you have to wait 4 minutes before you start watching.
Ah ok and thanks. That explains it. The stream and the watching both start at the same time.

So if SageTV is doing the buffering, like that of watching a live TV show, is there any works in the plan be able to hit the "record" button to record that stream?

Or is it that it's very possible to do, but not legally able to turn on that feature?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Ah ok and thanks. That explains it. The stream and the watching both start at the same time.

So if SageTV is doing the buffering, like that of watching a live TV show, is there any works in the plan be able to hit the "record" button to record that stream?

Or is it that it's very possible to do, but not legally able to turn on that feature?
Anyone know the first rule about recording streams is?
Old 03-17-2010, 03:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Like I said before, Hulu/PlayOn is a great service for us HTPC'er's so we shouldn't be looking for ways to exploit it

Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post
Anyone know the first rule about recording streams is?
I believe this topic was already discussed previously in this thread: see post 201.

Essentially, EP suggests why mess with a good thing. That's an area he doesn't want to get into, and frankly, I agree.

EDIT: Beat me to it!

Last edited by petereader; 03-17-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: EDIT: Beat me to it!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by petereader View Post
I believe this topic was already discussed previously in this thread: see post 201.

Essentially, EP suggests why mess with a good thing. That's an area he doesn't want to get into, and frankly, I agree.

EDIT: Beat me to it!
Nope, the first rule of recording streams is that you don't talk about recording streams. The second rule is that we DO NOT talk about recording streams.

-Fight Club reference
Old 03-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Ok got it, now dosent PlayOn (not SageTV or penguin's plugin) record streams?

PlayOn with the 5 minutes buffer option set to true, is that not recording a stream?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Ok got it, now dosent PlayOn (not SageTV or penguin's plugin) record streams?

PlayOn with the 5 minutes buffer option set to true, is that not recording a stream?
No. Internet Explorer buffering a hulu video is not recording and storing. It's just buffering. Close Explorer, video goes bye-bye. Hence Playon is a browser and it buffers for smooth playback.

Rule 1....

Now, for something worthwhile discussing...why am I getting this?

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3285/colbert.jpg

Last edited by Opus4; 03-17-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: image is too wide to post inline; changed to link
Old 03-17-2010, 05:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post

Now, for something worthwhile discussing...why am I getting this?
That's a bit of a mystery, its working fine on my HD200 and Sage Client. Are you completely updated with PlayON? They just dropped an update a week ago.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Sage Icon

Just got email about a new Playon release that includes Comedy Central (sounds different than the script), March Madness (all games), and some beta items including Pandora.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Just got email about a new Playon release that includes Comedy Central (sounds different than the script), March Madness (all games), and some beta items including Pandora.
Hmm, i'll have to see what I can do about getting support for these in ASAP.

Comedy Central will be easy, I can probably get Pandora working with just the QuickMix, and i'll take a pass March Madness but no promises

Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I noticed you didn't mention support for MLB.TV. Any chance that you can get that working? It is supported in the latest release of PlayOn.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 PM
SageTVaholic

If someone wants to PM me an MLB.tv username/password to test with I can take a look at it. Fair warning, depending on how the content is organized I may not be able to work with it without they dynamic subcategories that I requested Sage add.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

With this MLB.tv and MarchMadness release, I'm hoping this is the tip of the iceberg for Playon, NHL, etc etc. If more of us put in requests for these dynamic subcategories you think it would help EP?
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon vod, hulu, internet video streaming, netflix, online content, online services, online videos, playon