SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Arrow Plugin: PlayOn in Online Services (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon VOD, etc.)

I'm having Andy lock down this thread in favor of the v7 version. Please don't repost old issues in new thread, i'm aware of them and i'll get to them when I have the time.

Description

This plug-in takes the videos that PlayOn makes available over UPnP (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) and lets you view them from within Sage's Online Services on a PC or Extender.

Known Issues:
  • @SageTV - TV shows aren't working via Netflix.. Handling this will require the ability to specify dynamic sub folders from within the podcast feed. Feature request has already been submitted and Sage sees the benefit, but its not trivial to implements so it'll prolly be a while for this one.
  • @SageTV - Sometimes .flv's in %TEMP% aren't getting deleted. This occurs when you power down your extender while watching any progressively downloading online services video. Bug has already been submitted to Sage and it'll probably be fixed in the next beta cycle. If you've got a small OS drive and this is a huge problem, see this post for a workaround.
  • @SageTV - Special characters (',/&) sometimes aren't being displayed properly. While UPnP2Podcast is outputting UTF-8 properly, its getting lost when Sage writes the info file back to the tempFeed.xml. I'll ask Sage about this when they get a chance to look at the dynamic subcategories issue.
  • @SageTV - Timebar doesn't advance when playing back the videos. Bug has been submitted to Sage and they say its an easy fix so we'll probably see it in the next beta cycle.

Requirements:
Installation:
  1. From detailed settings (Detailed Setup -> Advanced -> Check for STV Update), update yourself to the lastest default STV (2009120901 or later). The updates don't all install at once so you may need to do this 5+ times.
  2. Download the plug-in and unzip it into "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV"
  3. DONE! Navigate to the Online Services menu and start enjoying your new content!

Release History
Troubleshooting:
  • Don't see any of the new menus (Hulu, Netflix, ABC, NBC, etc.) - Either your STV isn't fully updated or the feed files are in the wrong folder.
  • When you select a show (ABC->Better Off Ted) it finds no episodes - The most likely cause of this is my tool being unable to communicate with PlayON. First, check to see if the PlayON Service is started, then try disabling firewalls to see if that helps. If neither of those work, please post UPnP2Podcast.log on this thread and I can take a look.
  • When you select a video it goes to a blank screen - Try just pressing play, sometimes videos (especially hulu) just start paused.

Once you've double checked that you followed all of the install steps correctly, check out the 2nd post for debugging information.

64-Bit Windows Users:

First of all, why the hell are you using a 64-bit OS? Secondly, you'll run into some problems with Netflix by default. See this post for the fix.

Non-US Users:

Some services like Hulu and Netflix either don't work or have limited functionality from outside of the US. I have no expereince with this myself, but this post recommends a good , non-free, VPN service that can use to get around that.

WHS Users:

From PlayON FAQ:
Quote:
PlayOn for Windows Home Server and Windows Server 2003
PlayOn generally works great on WHS and Windows Server 2003. You may, however, need to disable "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration". See below for specific instructions.
Disabling "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration"

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. After a few seconds a window will pop-up. Click the check mark next to Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (to make it unchecked). If you'd like to only disable it for Administrators or only for Users you can click Details and do so.
4. Press Next, let it finish, and it's complete. Verify that it's disabled by opening Internet Explorer. You should see a message: "Caution: Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is not enabled".
Warnings, Known Issues, Misc.:
  • A few people have found that they are missing a few .dll files required for PlayOn. If nothing is working for you check this post.
  • Amazon VOD requires that you first play a video through IE on the PlayON server.
  • Simonen found a nice UPnP server file browser you can use to explore whats available in PlayOn.

Bug List:
  • @SageTV - Sometimes .flv's in %TEMP% aren't getting deleted. This occurs when you power down your extender while watching any progressively downloading online services video. Bug has already been submitted to Sage and it'll probably be fixed in the next beta cycle. If you've got a small OS drive and this is a huge problem, see this post for a workaround.
  • @SageTV - TV shows aren't working via Netflix.. Handling this will require the ability to specify dynamic sub folders from within the podcast feed. Feature request has already been submitted and Sage sees the benefit, but its not trivial to implements so it'll prolly be a while for this one.
  • @SageTV - Special characters (',/&) sometimes aren't being displayed properly. While UPnP2Podcast is outputting UTF-8 properly, its getting lost when Sage writes the info file back to the tempFeed.xml. I'll ask Sage about this when they get a chance to look at the dynamic subcategories issue.
  • @SageTV - Timebar doesn't advance when playing back the videos. Bug has been submitted to Sage and they say its an easy fix so we'll probably see it in the next beta cycle.

Compiling Perl Scripts: (Devs only)
All my code comes pre-compiled and ready to rock, but if you feel the urge to tinker with it yourself, compiling perl scripts into standalone executables is easily accomplished using PAR::Packer.

LINUX: (Tested using Ubuntu 9.10 in VMware Player)
From a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 open a terminal and run these commands...
Code:
>sudo apt-get libperl-dev
>sudo apt-get subversion
>sudo CPAN PAR:Packer
>sudo CPAN MD5
>sudo CPAN SKONNO/Net-UPnP-1.4.2.tar.gz
>svn checkout http://upnp2podcast.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ upnp2podcast-read-only
>sudo cp -r ./upnp2podcast/upnp2podcast/UPNP.pm/* /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Net/.
>./upnp2podcast/upnp2podcast/build_OUTs.pl ./upnp2podcast/upnp2podcast/UPnP2Podcast.pl
Windows:
  1. Download and install ActivePerl 5.10.
  2. Open Perl Package Manager
  3. Add Bribes repository
  4. Find PAR-Packer and install
  5. Open a Command Prompt and run this command...
    Code:
    pp -c -M PerlIO.pm -o ./script.exe ./script.pl
Screenshots:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlayOn_Main.jpg (46.3 KB, 25691 views)
File Type: jpg PlayOn_NBC.jpg (94.1 KB, 26848 views)
File Type: jpg PlayOn_Naruto_Episodes.jpg (82.4 KB, 24970 views)
File Type: jpg PlayOn_Netflix_Queue.jpg (96.3 KB, 25183 views)
File Type: jpg PlayOn_Account.jpg (84.7 KB, 3036 views)

Last edited by evilpenguin; 06-07-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Debugging Issues:

Symptom #1: No videos are appearing when you select a menu item.
  1. Try navigating to ABC->Lost, let it try and generate the video list.
  2. Look in ...\SageTV\STVs\SageTV3\OnlineVideos\ and see if there is a file named tempFeed.xml
  3. Open up tempFeed.xml and check to see if there are any <item></item> tags that contain long URL's to .mpg files.
    Code:
        <item> 
          <title>Apollo, Apollo</title> 
          <description>Season 3 Episode 16 - With Jack's 50th birthday looming, he questions his happiness. Liz's ex-boyfriend Dennis "The Beeper King" decides to come clean to Liz about an addiction, stirring up drama between Liz and Jenna.</description> 
          <pubDate>2009-03-26</pubDate> 
          <itunes:subtitle>Season 3 Episode 16 - With Jack's 50th birthday looming, he questions his happiness. Liz's ex-boyfriend Dennis "The Beeper King" decides to come clean to Liz about an addiction, stirring up drama between Liz and Jenna.</itunes:subtitle>
          <itunes:duration>0:21:32</itunes:duration>
          <enclosure url="http://10.0.1.2:63478/hulu-43cc0389-bb62-4fd2-afc4-c2345f1141b7/1-hulu-43cc0389-bb62-4fd2-afc4-c2345f1141b7.mpg" length="991408000" type="video/mpeg2" /> 
          <media:content duration="1292" medium="video" fileSize="991408000" url="http://10.0.1.2:63478/hulu-43cc0389-bb62-4fd2-afc4-c2345f1141b7/1-hulu-43cc0389-bb62-4fd2-afc4-c2345f1141b7.mpg" type="video/mpeg2"> 
           <media:title>Apollo, Apollo</media:title> 
            <media:description>Season 3 Episode 16 - With Jack's 50th birthday looming, he questions his happiness. Liz's ex-boyfriend Dennis "The Beeper King" decides to come clean to Liz about an addiction, stirring up drama between Liz and Jenna.</media:description> 
            <media:thumbnail url="http://10.0.1.2:63478/hulu-43cc0389-bb62-4fd2-afc4-c2345f1141b7/1-hulu-43cc0389-bb62-4fd2-afc4-c2345f1141b7.mpg?albumArt=true"/> 
          </media:content> 
        </item>
  • If no tempFeed.xml file exists then it probably means the import wasn't successful. First of all, make sure you extracted the installer zip to the correct folder (Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\). Then revert back to a clean SageTV3.xml and apply all of the available STV updates and then try importing again. Once you've done that redo this test.
  • If tempFeed.xml exists but is an empty file or contains no <item></item> tags please move onto Symptom #2.
Symptom #2: tempFeed.xml is an empty file or contains no items.
  1. Open up a command prompt
  2. Navigate to "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV"
  3. Run this exact command...
    Code:
    UPnP2Podcast.exe "PlayOn:Hulu:+2" debug
  • If the output looks like this then you're able to connect/navigate the PlayON server from that machine. Therefore your tempFeed.xml should be getting made correctly. Please verify that you're using the most recent version of PlayOn.
  • If it hangs or fails to find the "UPnP Device" move onto Symptom #3.
Symptom #3: UPnP2Podcast fails to connect to the PlayOn server
  1. Open Up you're playOn Settings and verify that the server is currently running.
  2. Open up the windows firewall settings and completely disable it.
  3. Shut down any anti-virus software you may have.
  4. Re-run the test from Symptom #2.
  • If it succeeds this time then the problem is either with your Firewall or Anti-Virus. Check the PlayOn forums for information about how to set those up properly for PlayON.
  • If it still doesn't work... well, i'm not sure yet
Symptom #4: Can see the videos but they fail when you try to play them back
  1. Try navigating to ABC->Lost, let it generate the video list.
  2. Look in ...\SageTV\STVs\SageTV3\OnlineVideos\ and and open tempFeed.xml.
  3. Copy one of the long .mpg links and attempt to open it in a web browser.

Same PC as the PlayON Server
  • If it still doesn't work please verify that you have the latest version of PlayOn installed and also try installing Windows Media Player 11.

Extender or Different PC than PlayOn server
  • Verify that you have the latest version of PlayOn installed and also try installing Windows Media Player 11 on the PlayOn server machine.
  • Turn off the Firewall on both the PlayOn server and, if applicable, the client PC.
  • Try playing back the video again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlayOn_Version.jpg (73.4 KB, 2996 views)
File Type: jpg playOn_debug_output.jpg (117.8 KB, 2054 views)
File Type: jpg playOnPropertiesFiles.jpg (165.4 KB, 1871 views)

Last edited by evilpenguin; 02-18-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Sage Expert

Amazing amazing job. And I love how you pre-populated the custom properties files with most of the useful content that could be played via PlayOn. People are going to love this plugin... especially since all of this content is playable on extenders!
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 09-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Have you seen this chicken? He rocks.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 09-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Sage Icon

thanks for the work EP. How come this won't work in SageMC? I thought it just reverted to the stock STV for the online services?

Matt
Old 09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
thanks for the work EP. How come this won't work in SageMC? I thought it just reverted to the stock STV for the online services?

Matt
It does, but it reverts directly to SageTV3.xml which doesn't have any imports applied to it.

SageMC Users:
  1. Follow the instructions and get the plug-in working in the default STV
  2. Figure out what the name of the modified default STV you're using is (check the SageTV Settings->Advanced).
  3. On the server, copy the modified STV file, and overwrite SageTV3.xml with it.
  4. Load up SageMC again, and everything should work.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 09-27-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Sage Expert

Awesome.

Thank you very much!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
It does, but it reverts directly to SageTV3.xml which doesn't have any imports applied to it.

... now that I think about it, a quick work around would be to load SageTV3.xml on the SageTV Server, import the STVi, open up Studio, and then save it as SageTV3.xml. That would work
I actually run the standard Sage interface on my server and only run SageMC on my extenders.
Does that mean if I just go and install this add-on on my server, everything will work just fine?

Mitch
Old 09-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
I actually run the standard Sage interface on my server and only run SageMC on my extenders.
Does that mean if I just go and install this add-on on my server, everything will work just fine?

Mitch
I do the same, I just installed this without doing the load and save method as described for extenders, all EP's menus etc are there, just "no videos found" when I click on something.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post

Mitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post
I do the same, I just installed this without doing the load and save method as described for extenders, all EP's menus etc are there, just "no videos found" when I click on something.
You need to overwrite SageTV3.xml file with a version that contains the import. I've updated the first post with instructions.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes sir, I overwrote it now and videos are there. Will play with it some more tonight and see how it all goes.

Great work and Thanks!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Lets recap

9-21-09 "Need help testing something for playon"

9-27-09 - Penguin delivers two of the most desired contents to SageTV in one very nice looking stvi.

Great job!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to shardinite Send a message via MSN to shardinite Send a message via Yahoo to shardinite
EP, is it wrong I luv you?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy

I'm soooooo jealous.

UK User
Old 09-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_W View Post
I'm soooooo jealous.

UK User
Yep, I'm with you Nick.....

Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 AM
SageTVaholic

EP - If you ever need a place to live I have an extra bedroom and place at the dinner table.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Good work and nice job. I threw this on in 5 minutes before leaving for work this morning and it just worked for the default STV. Just simply amazing. Thanks for this.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Sage Icon

man... looks like im going to have buy a PlayOn license now looks good EP, thanks
Check out TVExplorer
Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just to be sure I am clear....

This 1 plug-in eliminates the need to have upnp2podcast.exe run periodically and put XML files on a webserver for the CustomOnline property files to reference. I have that working very well...but want to be sure I understand this plug-in correctly.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Correct.
Plus it creates feeds for things other than just your queues (e.g. newly added movies in Hulu, or a list of all movies in Netfilx watch instantly).

Mitch
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon vod, hulu, internet video streaming, netflix, online content, online services, online videos, playon