SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 04-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Sage User

Burn MPG to DVD?

I'm going to be travelling a lot in the next few weeks and I want to bring with me some of the movies I've captured with SageTV to watch on planes, etc.

I have copies of Nero 6 (came with my 8X DVD burner) and Ulead Video Studio 6 (came with my ATI AIW).

But I can't figure out how to put the MPGs created by Sage onto a DVD. I'm hoping someone here can help, or point me in the right direction.

I'm capturing at 3.25GB/hr but I believe Sage writes MPG1, even at that quality setting. Is this correct?

I have successfully used DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink to make backup copies of DVDs that I own, so that I can travel with copies and not worry about the originals becoming damaged. But I'm having much less luck when the source material isn't already in a DVD format.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Sage User

What are you using as your video capture card? I use a Hauppauge 250 and am recording on the DVD Long Play. This is an MPEG2 file. I just re-verified this using VideoToolBox. I have been able to use Nero to create a DVD from the mpg file it creates...

What problem are you encountering?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Re: Burn MPG to DVD?

Quote:
Originally posted by mpcrider
I'm going to be travelling a lot in the next few weeks and I want to bring with me some of the movies I've captured with SageTV to watch on planes, etc.

I have copies of Nero 6 (came with my 8X DVD burner) and Ulead Video Studio 6 (came with my ATI AIW).

But I can't figure out how to put the MPGs created by Sage onto a DVD. I'm hoping someone here can help, or point me in the right direction.

Specifically... here's what I do..

I don't like ULEAD for the DVD creation. I picked up a copy of Roxio EZ-CD Creator (DVD Edition). This makes it *WAY* easy to make dvd's out of the mpegs just by telling it to import video files when you're authoring a dvd.

Of course, I use Womble to edit out the commercials first so I don't have to skip through them or setup chapters.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 04-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Sage User

I use a Haup 250 as well. I had been burning at 3.25GM/hr but that puts a 2hr movie at >~4.7GB that my single sided DVDs will hold.

I did find out that I did not have the MPG2 encoder (i.e. seperate payment to Nero) plugin, so I added that. Once I added that I was getting another error, but that was because my temp file was set to Drive C:\, where I didn't have >5GB of room. Once I repointed that I have been able to burn to my HD w/out problems. I'm doing a direct-to-DVD burn right now, but I'm assuming that'll go off error free (*knock wood*).

I'll check out the Roxio, the local paper (Wash Post) gave it a good review today. But that's ~$70 so I'll probably make do with the OEM Nero I have right now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Sage Icon

tmpgenc DVD Author

This is the easiest program for your task. It also lets you cut out commercials & burn in one program.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Sage User

I sometimes use tpmgenc DVD author for burning, but when I used it for editing (cutting out commercials) it inevitably resulted in audio sync errors. IMO VideoReDo is the best program for editing out there - and it is reasonably priced.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Sage Icon

I only use mpeg-vcr (http://www.womble.com/vcr-text.htm). It doesn't have annoying features like some programs and acutally keeps the video and audio tracks in sync...even better, it *will* cut on the frame you told it too - not the nearest index frame.

I use Ulead DVD MovieFactory SE because it's simple and no-nonsence.